What is your honest opinion about the LP Modern?

Geronimo

Reaction score
I ask this because I'm considering getting one, but feel like it could take a long time if I decide to resell it as used a couple of years down the road.

Since I'm so activelty trying to get a new LP, I follow the key dealers' stock daily. Currently, the only two guitar LP types I can think of that aren't selling so fast are the custom shop ones and the LP Modern

I can understand not many people can throw $5-6k on a custom shop every day, but how about these $2800 LP Moderns?
Not a lot of people can spend the $2800 either, but the 2.5k standards are selling like hotcakes...

So... what's your honest opinion about the LP Modern? Will it be hard to sell down the road?
I'm lefty, if that matters...

post script: I've sold like 5-6 guitars over the last 3 years... and I was quite surprised how fast my guitars sold. I guess lots of people have a similar taste?
post script 2: i have a LP traditional with a nice AAA top, so I don't have a G.A.S. for a good looking les paul.
My opinion is if you’re looking for the best playing and sounding AND looking Les Paul that you will most likely keep, GET A USED CUSTOM SHOP 57, 58, They’re the best deal going. I’ve owned 2 Norlins and a bunch of USA Trads, Trad Pros and Standards. My ‘58 that I acquired lightly used (a 2013 I bought in 2017) for $2700 is the best Les Paul I’ve ever owned. It weighs 8.5 lbs. NEVER goes out of tune. It’s very comfortable for a 65 year old guy like me to use all night and it’s the best sounding Gibson I’ve ever owned and I own or have owned dozens since 1966. My other two I currently own are a 2012 Pelham Trad Pro that I’m hanging onto because it’s a beauty and plays great. But it’s very heavy. I know this has been said (and argued about) many times, but the Custom Shop guitars are leaps and bounds above a USA. Less is more.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with any of the specs of the Les Paul Modern with one exception: Asymmetrical neck shapes are a load of horse hockey. SOME people may like them but I think most would not.

Weight relief? No problem. Whether solid or hollowed out almost to the point of the guitar being a hollowbody, I have no issues with that. I built an LP for my nephew that's fully hollowed other than the center strip from bridge to neck joint, and it's a fantastic sounding, very light guitar. Everybody who tries it, loves it.

Compound radiuses are naturally correct if the ratio of the nut and bridge radiuses matches the ratio at which the E-E string spacing grows wider from the nut to the bridge.

thacZERO

Reaction score
Eh they aren't bad guitars. I have one and I quite enjoy it at times. Granted I bought it used for ~ $2100 which I think is a good price point for them.

I never use the coil splitting
I didn't like the knobs so I replaced them with black ones
I added a poker chip
The carved out neck heel isn't super great but it is noticeable (not $600 noticeable).
I like the neck... not thin like the 2000's classic I once had and hated... not thick like the R7 I have (which I like).

If you can find one used and you dig it then go for it.. but as a lefty that might be pretty hard. If I could only have one Les Paul, this would not be it... but I quite like it and play it more often than my 60s Triburst (but less than the R7).

krtrawick1

Reaction score
I ask this because I'm considering getting one, but feel like it could take a long time if I decide to resell it as used a couple of years down the road.

Since I'm so activelty trying to get a new LP, I follow the key dealers' stock daily. Currently, the only two guitar LP types I can think of that aren't selling so fast are the custom shop ones and the LP Modern

I can understand not many people can throw $5-6k on a custom shop every day, but how about these $2800 LP Moderns?
Not a lot of people can spend the $2800 either, but the 2.5k standards are selling like hotcakes...

So... what's your honest opinion about the LP Modern? Will it be hard to sell down the road?
I'm lefty, if that matters...

post script: I've sold like 5-6 guitars over the last 3 years... and I was quite surprised how fast my guitars sold. I guess lots of people have a similar taste?
post script 2: i have a LP traditional with a nice AAA top, so I don't have a G.A.S. for a good looking les paul.
I would urge you to get what you want and whichever guitar tells you, "yeah I'm the one baby" and dont worry about resale value. I've been playing for 40 years and have never made a dime on selling a guitar (the few times I've had too)

truckermde

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with any of the specs of the Les Paul Modern with one exception: Asymmetrical neck shapes are a load of horse hockey. SOME people may like them but I think most would not.

Compound radiuses are naturally correct if the ratio of the nut and bridge radiuses matches the ratio at which the E-E string spacing grows wider from the nut to the bridge.
Interesting to me that you're on board for compound radii, bur eschew the asymmetrical neck.

Personally, I love asymmetrical necks, especially on a 5 string bass...

It's cool there are so many options out there :thumb:

thacZERO

Reaction score
I'm not a shredder nor am I an expert in guitar hardware but I will say upper fret access is easier on the LP Modern than on my standard. Is it light years ahead? Definitely not. If you've been rolling with LPs for years then you'll likely not notice a thing either... right? I mean our brains and our bodies are very adaptable and if we can make high fret access work on a single cut despite the challenges they offer (let's be honest here, double cuts / strats are way easier) that doesn't mean improving a bit on the single cut access / neck shape is beyond the scope of a manufacturer.

I guess what I'm saying is yeah you can definitely notice a difference but if things work fine for you on non-asymmetrical necks that doesn't mean they're snake oil... it just means you don't notice a big enough difference to justify the marketing / price for them.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Speaking as a luthier I've never felt that an asymmetrical neck on a regular 6 string guitar really offered anything other than just being different.

Now...for a five or six string bass, I can totally see a possible benefit to an asymmetrical neck.

I have a very deep understanding of the geometry ERRORS that are present in the fretboard of a standard guitar with strings that spread out toward the bridge and which has a single radius fretboard. If the strings spread from nut to bridge,
then the radii should change at the same rate and the fingerboard radius and frets should also match.

Think of the playing area (nut to bridge) as a section of the outer surface of a truncated cone. One that's 12 inches in radius at the nut end, and one that's 16 inches in radius at the bridge end of the cone.

Then reimagine this as a cylinder section rather than a cone section. But the bridge is still wider than the nut. This creates geometry errors.

Compound radiuses are naturally correct.

That being said, the difference is minor. I'm perfectly happy to play a regular 12" radius that's the same from first fret to last. I just know that it's not optimized.

jap545

Reaction score
I buy and sell quite a bit. Thats a hard sell . Youll take a beating but you only go around once. If its a good one you will get a hell of alot of enjoyment out of it for your money. Go for it and dont look back.

Roxx

Reaction score
My opinion is that Gibson's LP Modern is the best production guitar they make. I do like the color options as well as every feature from locking tuners to neck cut away. The electronics offer every imaginable combination available. I have been playing one since they came out. I am completely satisfied . I have owned many LP and still do. I been rocking for many years. Started this thing when I was 15 years old, and now almost 70. I have owned more guitars than most players will never have. I still have my fenders as well. I don't like putting down any models, but the craze for figured finished tops is futile when looking for a guitar that plays and sounds good. Each person needs to play what suits themselves. If you string up a cigar box and enjoy it, then get it. I got married to my modern and am happy . It does the whole thing. The only improvement that I would consider is making a belly cut on the back for relief like many other guitars have. As far as flamed maple top is concerned, I believe it feeds vanity issues and nothing positive for sound or performance. Now take this post as you wish, but you asked for honest.

SonOfMI

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Standard in cherry sunburst, so it has a lot in common with today’s Modern, asymmetrical neck, weight relief. I liked it a lot at first. I really like asymmetrical necks on my other guitars and love the BB Pro pickups. After awhile I didn’t reach for it much, then not at all. I bought a Classic a few months ago that I play when I want LP tones. I’ve been trying to sell the 2018 Standard for awhile and there isn’t much interest. No offers, no messages on it and only 7 watchers after a couple of months. This isn’t an ad to sell it. My point is I expect it to sit for awhile. Make sure you spend time with it before you pull the trigger.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
I think it's a cool guitar with some neat features. It's a guitar for someone who wants to stick to just one guitar. Perfectly fine choice if it's what you're looking for.

Personally I wouldn't buy one, but I'd be happy owning one. I think it's a good way of making both sides of the "waaah the company is escaping tradition!" and the "waaaah the company refuses to grow" silliness.

Also, they look stunning with those finishes.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Somehow the Stradivarius violins are the most sought after, and they are also extremely fragile....but no one complains.
This explains a lot then. The Archtop for guitars was based off of the Stradivarius violins.

Last edited:

Diver

Reaction score
Yep, been playing Les Paul's for 15 years and owned a dozen or so of them. No headstock breaks, or any breaks of any kind. I don't baby them, but I am also not really hard on them, I mean why would you throw your guitar around... right...

If you trip and fall down, you could break your wrist, your arm, or even get a concussion if you hit your head, which is to much drama for me. I have seen it happen all to often, so I should just stay put until nature/evolution fixes the problem with humans getting broken bones or concussions by accident.

If your not buying a Gibson Les Paul because of the headstock thing, then you should also be wearing a helmet, wrist braces, as well as knee and elbow pads everywhere you go.

All kidding aside... just get an Epiphone Les Paul and your problem is solved since the headstock angle is less.
Agreed. I had a 2012 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa LP that I paid $600 for, while the same Gibson model was over 5K. Excellent guitar! Gold top with black sides and back.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks this guitar is overpriced.... You getting MOP inlays, ebony fret board, BB pro's, locking tuners, Med/Jumbo frets, compound radius board, and better access neck joint. It's pretty bad aass IMO.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Uh, archtop guitars were based on stringed instruments such as the violin, viola, and cello. To say they were based off of Stradivarius violins in specific is more than just a reach, it's an outright fabrication.

The nuances that make a Stradivarius a better violin than (almost) any other are insignificant compared to the massive differences between any archtop guitar and any other stringed instrument.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Interesting discussion.
Alright, I'm going to bid on the LP Modern. Let's see what happens.

I do have in my head a very clear upper boundary, so if the seller doesn't budge much, I won't buy and just keep watching Reverb for a used one. It's not an ultra deep discount like $1000 off list price, so I'm somewhat confident the dealer will agree on the price I'll offer. Let's see.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Uh, archtop guitars were based on stringed instruments such as the violin, viola, and cello. To say they were based off of Stradivarius violins in specific is more than just a reach, it's an outright fabrication.
Then you better tell Sweetwater to take that quote off of there recording when you call and get placed on hold.

Lemonburst R8

Reaction score
I’ve been playing Les Pauls since 75 only ever lost one (in the 90’s) due to a faulty stand It fell during a gig and cracked the headstock broke my heart my fault not the guitars not owning a Gibson guitar because of the headstock angle is like not having sex cause you heard women get pregnant. GTFU

jtees4

Reaction score
I’ve been playing Les Pauls since 75 only ever lost one (in the 90’s) due to a faulty stand It fell during a gig and cracked the headstock broke my heart my fault not the guitars not owning a Gibson guitar because of the headstock angle is like not having sex cause you heard women get pregnant. GTFU

Please stop being sexist, you do know that some folks believe men can get pregnant also.

Latest Threads