What is your honest opinion about the LP Modern?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Eh, they didn't fix the big flaw of a fragile headstock on the 'modern'. Still too much drama for me.

Make sure you are ok with the drama and risk of buying/owning a Gibson headstock guitar.
Many undisclosed repairs out there getting passed on to unwary buyers.
Tough guys will tell you they have never had a problem the whole time they owned their Gibson and didn't worry about babying the guitar ... but many get broken during shipping while selling, get returned for a full refund, insurance only covers the repair not the value lost. So much Drama.

Do you collect royalties for singing that song?

Even if it was a nickel a pop you be a rich mofo by now.......:rofl:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I really wanted to like it, was looking for a Les Paul for hard rock and metal, and I loved the Pelham blue and red finishes. But both times I played it in the store, I didn’t love it. Hard to pointpoint why, the neck just didn’t feel as good as other Les Pauls and didn’t sound super inspiring. I might have just gotten a dud with a bad setup though. Would love to try one that’s been set up properly.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Modern, and it hits all the things I was looking for in a new Les Paul for myself. It feels/plays and sounds fantastic. I didn't like the color/top choices for the Gibson's, so I went for the Epiphone.

View attachment 513722
Looks like a shark attack occurred on your LP..... Pretty cool, "Blood In The Water Burst" :headbanger:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't played one but i think it is cool. Just wish they weren't solid metallic colors.

shupe13

Reaction score
I've always purchased guitars based on what I like. Looks, feel, playability... never based on popular opinion or potential resale value.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you collect royalties for singing that song?

Even if it was a nickel a pop you be a rich mofo by now.......:rofl:
I really think he does.
Posts the same BS constantly on Strat Talk as well... completely ignores me when I post a picture of broken Epiphones.

Hates Gibson, hates US Fenders... not sure why he's around.

16574656.jpg

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
I suppose I must be a "tough guy" because I have been playing Les Pauls since 1977, have never babied them, and have never had a problem. Same as the overwhelming majority of people that play Gibson guitars. I believe, from personal experience, that as long as you are not abusive toward them they can and will give you a lifetime of hassle-free service. Like anything else, accidents can happen but they are the exception not the rule and it is disingenuous to imply that the "problem" is more widespread than it actually is.
Yep, I’m a tough guy too
Have had 7 LP over the years and never had a problem

dspelman

Reaction score
`
So... what's your honest opinion about the LP Modern? Will it be hard to sell down the road?
I'm lefty, if that matters...
A lefty will find a diminished audience, of course, and the LP Modern isn't one of the traditional Gibson LPs (which will further diminish your possible purchasing audience). I don't think it will necessarily be *hard* to sell, but it might be a bit tougher.

Despite the anecdotal clamor from the folks who will tell you that they've never broken a Gibson headstock (and in all honesty, I've had Gibsons continuously since about '67 and haven't done so, either, and several are survivors from '49 and '55), the Gibson LP-style headstock is the most-broken headstock ever, followed by the "tilted pointy" headstock most popular on Jacksons, et al. On any guitar that duplicates the LP neck/headstock design, the break is pretty close to identical in nature, and has little to do with how well you take care of the guitar and more to do with luck. It's a design issue, as testified to by its repeatability.

There are guitar headstocks that are similar, but breakage has been reduced by slight additions/changes to the design, such as a laminated neck, a volute, a change in the angle, etc. or by the rest of the design of the guitar (a thick hollowbody guitar will not allow the tip of the headstock to rest on the ground or back of the case, for example).

diogoguitar

Reaction score
On any guitar that duplicates the LP neck/headstock design, the break is pretty close to identical in nature, and has little to do with how well you take care of the guitar and more to do with luck. It's a design issue, as testified to by its repeatability.
yeah, I agree it's a probability thing.

but that's not going to make me buy from a different brand :)
unless PRS USA decides to build a lefty mccarty 594, which they never did outside of their $9k private stock division.
or ESP decides to finish their eclipses with nitro :)

dspelman

Reaction score
yeah, I agree it's a probability thing.

but that's not going to make me buy from a different brand :)
unless PRS USA decides to build a lefty mccarty 594, which they never did outside of their $9k private stock division.
or ESP decides to finish their eclipses with nitro :)
This is where we have a difference in vision.

When there were only a few major guitar brands, when offshore guitars were obviously inferior, when Gibson was only making a few thousand guitars and choices were limited, I was probably right beside you on brand loyalty. But we're talking sixty years ago.

I've since had enough ntirocellulose finished guitars to realize that it's a crap finish that should have been retired and replaced back when this happened with cars. Sixty plus years ago. The headstock issue should have and could have been fixed half a century ago. These days Gibson is producing almost 200,000 guitars a year, with the "Custom Shop" alone cranking out over 200 guitars *a day.* These are far from the hand-crafted instruments on which they built their reputation. Gibson employs around 1500 people (about half that of Fender) and Fender's revenues are about three times that of Gibson.

For most of the guitar industry, "brand" is a sticker applied to a guitar produced in a Samick or Cort-owned manufacturing plant. And while Gibson has been trying very hard to be a "lifestyle" brand, the truth is that the actual instruments just aren't as good as some of the pieces that retail for less than $500 and that probably cost less than $100 to make out of the same woods and wire Gibson uses.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ummm... Yea... Ok... Well, that's one person's opinion. Anyone else share his same thoughts, that Gibsons are not as good as guitars costing under $500 by mass manufacturing plants?

Yep... I didn't think so either, so lets just put this to rest and get back to the OP's question.

The LP Modern hits a nice nitch for a lot of people, the questions is just this... are you one of those people. :thumb:

Socrates

Reaction score
I'd love to try a Modern...and someday if I can ever travel back to civilization where guitar stores exist (lol) I'll look to find one.

I think the black graphite top looks really cool and find the compound radius and asymmetrical neck interesting...mostly because I never played one. The push/pull electronics not so much

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Played one, and it wasn't right for me. I am not saying it's a bad guitar, just not for my hand.

Eh, they didn't fix the big flaw of a fragile headstock on the 'modern'. Still too much drama for me.

Make sure you are ok with the drama and risk of buying/owning a Gibson headstock guitar.
Many undisclosed repairs out there getting passed on to unwary buyers.
Tough guys will tell you they have never had a problem the whole time they owned their Gibson and didn't worry about babying the guitar ... but many get broken during shipping while selling, get returned for a full refund, insurance only covers the repair not the value lost. So much Drama.

And to "broken headstock blues singing..... (uhhh, can I call someone an idiot here?) Look on ebay for "project guitars" you will see on a page of 50 guitars and the like, and there will be 15 Epiphones on any given day with headstock issues. and maybe 4 or 5 Gibsons.
I have lost count of all the guitars I have owned in the last 5 years, much less the 35 years before that, but never had a headstock break on me. Bought badly repaired ones that blew out on me, but never ever ever broke one. But if you are such a cave man to worry about that, then play drums, much more durable.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
In my honest opinion, people are way too concerned with labels, the fact that its a modern means you have way more options on the guitar and some really wild colours that in the end arent a goldtop, burst, what have you. Does the guitar feel right should be the only thing that matters, pickups can be changed, refinishes can be applied, in the end all that matters is the feel. If youre too concerned about how the guitar is going to “sell” it doesnt sound to me like youre in love with the guitar itself

R994

Reaction score
why not buy an epiphone then customise it way you like. My number 1 guitar that i take to studio or gigs is my suhr. I feel you really cant go wrong with a used suhr guitar. I do have les pauls but i only play them at home. Firstly cause they are fragile, million things can go wrong but with suhr ur pretty good to go. I used to use an epiphon.

afireinside

Reaction score
Meh. I had a 2019 blueberry burst standard. They are/were essentially the same as a modern. Hate the UM weight relief. Sounds hollow and airy. Loses the girth and tone of a LP. Never would use dip switches. And hated the BB Pros....

Angrycolon

Reaction score
I've got four LP's that span 1982, '85, 2001, and 2014 Traditional. I bought the Traditional off of Reverb for its color and just kept my fingers crossed that I would "like the playability. My '85 was my "player" and go to anyway. I was pleasantly surprised when the T arrived. It has been my favorite now for several years. I love the pickups. Heaviest LP I own though. But that fat neck just brings out a different style in me. I guess I'm saying it's a crap-shoot. You won't know if you like it till you play it. I guess that's obvious.

Latest Threads