What is your honest opinion about the LP Modern?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I ask this because I'm considering getting one, but feel like it could take a long time if I decide to resell it as used a couple of years down the road.

Since I'm so activelty trying to get a new LP, I follow the key dealers' stock daily. Currently, the only two guitar LP types I can think of that aren't selling so fast are the custom shop ones and the LP Modern

I can understand not many people can throw $5-6k on a custom shop every day, but how about these $2800 LP Moderns?
Not a lot of people can spend the $2800 either, but the 2.5k standards are selling like hotcakes...

So... what's your honest opinion about the LP Modern? Will it be hard to sell down the road?
I'm lefty, if that matters...

post script: I've sold like 5-6 guitars over the last 3 years... and I was quite surprised how fast my guitars sold. I guess lots of people have a similar taste?
post script 2: i have a LP traditional with a nice AAA top, so I don't have a G.A.S. for a good looking les paul.

Gitter

Reaction score
I'm not a snob or purist by any stretch, but I'm not a fan of the Modern. I don't like the "ultra" modern weight relief compared to the 9-hole, though I honestly prefer none at all. I think the neck heel they use on these isn't much of an improvement on the original, especially when compared to the carve used on the Axcess or HP. I like the compound radius fingerboard, though the standard 12" works fine for me. The BB Pro's and fancy electronics are fine but nothing special for ME. I definitely don't like the $2800 price for a non-figured top. If I were in the market for something different I think I'd rather have a Classic or a used HP.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Modern, and it hits all the things I was looking for in a new Les Paul for myself. It feels/plays and sounds fantastic. I didn't like the color/top choices for the Gibson's, so I went for the Epiphone.

lpmodernshark2.jpg

Benniator

Reaction score
I think the burgundy modern looks amazing, but its features don’t really appeal to me.

jvin248

Reaction score

Eh, they didn't fix the big flaw of a fragile headstock on the 'modern'. Still too much drama for me.

Make sure you are ok with the drama and risk of buying/owning a Gibson headstock guitar.
Many undisclosed repairs out there getting passed on to unwary buyers.
Tough guys will tell you they have never had a problem the whole time they owned their Gibson and didn't worry about babying the guitar ... but many get broken during shipping while selling, get returned for a full refund, insurance only covers the repair not the value lost. So much Drama.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I mean, outside of not looking traditional, what else is wrong with the guitar?

I wonder if the dealer will get offended if I offer like 20% off. I do see the guitar sitting there for at least 6 months.

gball

Reaction score

I wonder if the dealer will get offended if I offer like 20% off. I do see the guitar sitting there for at least 6 months.
Nothing wrong at all, but they have a feature set that is very unique. For me the asymmetrical neck just didn't feel right. In an hour of playing it back to back with the Standard that I actually bought and a Slash that I was considering I never got used to the way it felt and every time I switched to the others they just felt better in hand. I also didn't care for the weight relief: between the relatively light weight and the neck heel it somehow felt delicate. And the push/pull stuff didn't do anything to the sound that I personally found useful.

For the right person I think it would be an amazing guitar but if you are more of a traditionalist when it comes to Les Pauls you may have a hard time getting used to it is all.

Last edited:

Benniator

Reaction score

I think it looks tastefully updated. I’m personally not a fan of the weight-relief, the PCB electronics, and the half-assed contoured heel joint (why leave a ridge?).

And the worst thing the dealer will do if you offer 20% less than MAP is say no.

gball

Reaction score

Eh, they didn't fix the big flaw of a fragile headstock on the 'modern'. Still too much drama for me.

Make sure you are ok with the drama and risk of buying/owning a Gibson headstock guitar.
Many undisclosed repairs out there getting passed on to unwary buyers.
Tough guys will tell you they have never had a problem the whole time they owned their Gibson and didn't worry about babying the guitar ... but many get broken during shipping while selling, get returned for a full refund, insurance only covers the repair not the value lost. So much Drama.

I suppose I must be a "tough guy" because I have been playing Les Pauls since 1977, have never babied them, and have never had a problem. Same as the overwhelming majority of people that play Gibson guitars. I believe, from personal experience, that as long as you are not abusive toward them they can and will give you a lifetime of hassle-free service. Like anything else, accidents can happen but they are the exception not the rule and it is disingenuous to imply that the "problem" is more widespread than it actually is.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, been playing Les Paul's for 15 years and owned a dozen or so of them. No headstock breaks, or any breaks of any kind. I don't baby them, but I am also not really hard on them, I mean why would you throw your guitar around... right...

If you trip and fall down, you could break your wrist, your arm, or even get a concussion if you hit your head, which is to much drama for me. I have seen it happen all to often, so I should just stay put until nature/evolution fixes the problem with humans getting broken bones or concussions by accident.

If your not buying a Gibson Les Paul because of the headstock thing, then you should also be wearing a helmet, wrist braces, as well as knee and elbow pads everywhere you go.

All kidding aside... just get an Epiphone Les Paul and your problem is solved since the headstock angle is less.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
I have several guitars that have a carved neck heel, including an Axcess Custom.

Here's another one: This guitar has jumbo hand-filed frets, a real ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays, a compound radius, TUSQ nut. The guitar is neck-through and the neck is made of a five-piece sandwich of maple and walnut and is near impossible to break. The neck heel/body transition is smooth, rather than a clunky combination of set and smooth carved. There's also a tummy cut, the finish is polyester, the top is a full 3/4" maple cap and the body sides are maple. Bridge is a Graphtech with String Saver saddles, pickups are AlnicoV, both are coil tapped.

The other difference? This guitar is $499 compared to the $2799 of the Gibson LP Modern.

I honestly can't think of a reason why I'd want the Gibson version.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
well, virtually all gibsons have the same issue of the headstock and that has not been a problem for me for over a decade of gigging and rehearsing a LP

I'm open to more opinions (good or bad) about the Modern LP

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ask this because I'm considering getting one, but feel like it could take a long time if I decide to resell it as used a couple of years down the road.
Personal opinion?
I don't like the clear knobs.
I don't care for the "fade" paint patterns... I like bursts.
I'm not into push-pull switching options... tapped humbuckers don't sound like single coils and a Les Paul will never sound like a Strat.
I like the poker chip and pickguard... but I just prefer the traditional style.

None of that means that I would dislike a Modern if you blindfolded me and put one in my hands.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I think it's a fad and a left handed one will be hard to get rid of.

Latest Threads