What is your "Beater Guitar"

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
They all are.
Altough, my ES-335 has no wear apart from some finish checking so I might actually try to keep it like that for once

NotScott

Reaction score
By "beater" I assume you mean your take anywhere without a care guitar. In that case, it would be my Kubicki/Zion. It started life back in the mid 80s as my first custom build guitar. The first body was destroyed after being run over accidentally by my road crew. The second body was a cheap, Chinese, plywood POS that started to split and disintegrate a few years ago. Today it sports this Mexicaster body. All that remains from the original guitar is the Floyd and the neck.

The pickups are a DiMarzio Injector bridge pup in the neck and a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The selector switch is a 3-way - Neck-Neck/Bridge-Bridge. Pots are 500K and are Volume Neck, Volume Bridge and Master Tone. All that remains from the original guitar is the Floyd and the neck.

This guitar will do anything from Strat to Les Paul tones with whammy bar action if needed. It's dead quiet. It stays in tune no matter what. It sounds and plays great and I don't care if it gets nicked, dinged or trashed. It just comes back for more. If I am walking into a situation where I have no idea what I will be asked to play and need something that will cover all of the bases, this is it.

vklobucar

Reaction score
My 1979 Greco LP is as close to what I would call my beater guitar. Its a far cry cheaper to replace than my large vintage Stratocaster, Telecaster and Les Paul collection among others.

There was a time even a few years ago that you could pick up one of these for well under $400 but those days are long gone.

Mine is a solid top (no semi hollow veneer) with a pretty chunky 50's style neck. It has been refretted with jumbo Dunlop's as well as nickel Grover tuners installed. Aluminum tailpiece and all new close tolerance CTS wiring harness 50's style. Pickups are a set of Tim Shaw that I scored locally years ago.

thumbnail_IMG_2335.jpg

PRSWILL

Reaction score
I have a Fender Lead 2 that I got for $ 100 from a friend in 1980. The finish on these were famously bad- cracked almost right out of the factory ( mine is a 1978 model). I call it the "baromatar" because in the winter when the humidity is too low in my house, it starts to fog over under the finish as moisture escapes! It's a great way to tell when I need to adjust the humidity!
This thing is actually a beast sound wise- it's the highest output guitar I own believe it or not. I did a side by side comparision, playing the same track on all of my guitars into a pro tools session and without adjusting the signal gain, this one was the hottest. Funny little guitar . 21 frets and a neck like a tele- narrow. It was a great guitar to teach my boys on back in the day!

CCK

Reaction score
A 2002 Crescent Moon SG. Beat all to hell, scratched, not one bit of shine to the finish. Weighs barely 6 pounds, WCR American Steele pickup set . Bought it from a trim carpenter that had it in the trunk of his car with saws, hammers, an air compressor and other tools, WITH NO CASE! I have guitars that I paid 10 times what this one cost, but I absolutely love it, and don't worry in the least if it gets dinged or scratched.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Oh, mine would have to be Groot...it's an '80s Epi Les Paul Studio-ish I bought on Ebay as a carcass (Emptyphone I like to call it)...the guy stripped the finish, accenting the gouges, then satin coating with clear...talk about your road-relicing! I refinished it darker, going for a tobacco sunburst on the back first...the front didn't amber up as I had hoped so I locked it in with clear...sorta had that Tiki look...I'm a fan of the the Marvel movies and Groot came to mind.
20200616_225131.jpg 20200629_152515.jpg IMG_20200711_172459.jpg
Sorry about the "fluffy" pics...but that's my beater-baby!

bentfinger

Reaction score
I only have one and its going to stay that way. I love the guitar and have hit upon the
one that works, the fourth time of trying,(lucky me).
Thus its precious and I look after it. Not cool I know but I probably could'nt afford
too many or have confidence I would find one like mine.
We are getting married next week by the way!!!!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
96 Mexican strat…

and SRV fender….bought the body and SRV parts from stratosphere and neck a year later…simply because I liked the black headstock…it “matched” the look I was going for…even has the left handed trem
anyhow, it’s a freaking monster [for a fender] and sounds pretty dang good

neither have a case

6CA8B643-A0F0-4A44-AAA9-9422086EA2E1.jpeg

-chris
245DC4CA-898F-4897-B338-7678C07E6840.jpeg

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Mine is my LPJ Pro. I've been using it as a modding platform over the last 7-8 years. It's a fantastic playing/sounding guitar which actually impressed me given its price point.

Attachments

Last edited:

zdoggie

Reaction score
i guess it would probably be the supposed korina explorer from epiphone.
zdog

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I take really good care of all of my guitars so I wouldn’t call any of them full on beaters. Actually just sold 5 guitars to help fund a new Custom Shop. One of them was what I refer to as a beater for me...an Epiphone Twisted Sister Les Paul. So I’ve been using my 2008 Charvel So-Cal with Dimarzio’s instead...it’s a fun guitar to play. :dude:
6C9770DB-D377-4018-B430-E7EB246B25E6.jpeg

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Hmm, my beater guitar is definitely not a Gibson Les Paul, sorry. Even my Epi LPs I would not consider beaters, although with scarf neck-to-headstock joints they're definitely more durable than Gibsons.

For me , no setneck guitar could ever be my beater. That role, at a minimum, could only be filled by a bolt-neck.

Latest Threads