What is this ?

Greeley

Reaction score
My 2018 traditional Les Paul has developed this milky hue on the bridge and tail piece ? I can wipe it off and wipe it off but it always returns ? Last 3 times I haven't even touched it, ive wiped it off each time and it is quite hard to remove, it has just been sat in the case each time, i have also left it out of the case to but it still re-appears ? lts hardly been played and only comes out occasionally, has anyone any ideas what could be causing it it's driving me mad, no other guitar does it, my other Les Pauls are fine and shiny.
IMG_20181108_195127.jpg
IMG_20181108_195118.jpg
IMG_20181108_195153.jpg

Greeley

Reaction score
AHH that may be a good point? My other Gibson Les Paul doesn't do it though, my epiphone doesn't do it, high end tokai doesn't, nor does my prs ? Would these be chrome plated ? I also upgraded the bridge on this to a Faber abrh 59 which I believe is nickel plated to, it's just weird how my other traditional Les Paul doesn't do it ? Which also has Faber fitted, if it's normal I can live with it, cheers for the reply.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nickel was the plating type before chrome became popular and cheap enough to use,... So it's a "traditional" old school look that does indeed tarnish.

I happen to like both,... but not mixed on the same guitar, either Chrome or Nickel.

Chromium is a resource that is abundant in Africa, Turkey, and India,... not so much in the USA. That’s why nickel was used in the early years,.... USA sourced making it cheaper to plate with.

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Actually it might be indicative high moisture content in the air. Nickel seems to attract moisture quicker than other platings. And it will start to oxidize if left there. Any idea what your humidity level is? A little lemon or mineral oil would provide a good barrier.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
It's probably where you rest the palm of your hand. If it bugs you get a tube of metal polish, I got some from a motorcycle supply for about $8, it will shine that right up.
Al
Edit: actually probably where your forearm hits the TP, not your palm. Whatever, it can most likely be polished away with the metal polish if you want.

Last edited:

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Everyone else nailed it. Nickel hardware, and nickel will almost always do this. You'll pay more for aged nickel hardware, like Faber and Callaham. I like it aged, but not all do.

You can replace the bridge and tailpiece with chrome if you like. Up to you.

Greeley

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and responses everyone, glad to know it's a normal ocurance then, I do like worn or aged looking guitars but because the pick up covers are shiny and still look like new it looks a little odd to me, with uneven wear ? I can live with it no worries now I know it's normal, I might just have to invest in some new distressed pickups like SD antiquities, again thank you everyone.

scozz

Reaction score
I changed out the stock gold hardware on my 2006 Studio to nickel about two years ago. You can see the tarnish that has started in this pic.....

I think it’s aging very nicely!