What is this written on the inside of my control plate?

dasherf17

Reaction score
I think it is a Cherry (yes that was a color @kakerlak is spot on) LPC 20th.

I have seen a few Cherry guitars from that time period, but I do not think I have even seen a Custom? Several Standards and mostly Deluxe.

I promise I have never seen a 74 Custom in that color.....

The walnut (also a color used some during this period) mentioned is also a possibility, but this one has a lot of red (or these pics do??)....

I think with the red pore-filler and then that particular color....plus 40+ years of grime and.....well, you guys know....it is now about a half-a-pack away from looking exactly like a "The Paul".

:cool2:

Great player piece, but gut shots would still be nice.
Oh, yeah, cherry Customs were around...

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a single pic of Joe playing a cherry/wine LP or any Gibson LP Custom, but there's a pic of him playing an Epi Zakk Wylde Custom.

Bob Womack

Reaction score
The Eagles are managed by Irv Azoff. Joe and Dan Fogelberg were Irv's first two clients. He drove them out to L.A. in a station wagon and they all slept together in that station wagon until he got both of them record deals. True story. Joe says it's a heck of a way to get to know people.

Bob

goodvibes

Reaction score
To add some more interesting tidbits as I'm trying to figure out a way to get a message to Joe, I've learned that he lived in Columbus, OH as a kid (where I live right now). And I found the guitar up in northern Ohio, not far from where Joe went to college and then later joined The James Gang. He left Ohio and moved to Colorado in 1971 which is 3 years before my guitar was made. But he went to college at Kent State and he played in a bunch of Cleveland bands, so I'm sure he would have still had friends in this area. And he would have travelled through here many times throughout his career. It's certainly not proof of anything, but kind of an eerie Ohio connection there...
Great thread! I'm from Akron OH originally and I think Joe lived in the Akron/Canton area for a while. I've been told that Lay's Guitar Shop in Akron worked on some of his guitars, more specifically, the '59 Les Paul he gave to Jimmy Page. You could send Dan Shinn ( the current owner) those pictures and see if he has any ideas. God I love guitar stories!

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Joe has a website joewalsh.com, you might try contacting him through his website manager:

[email protected]

He was also on a recent episode of 'Live From Daryl's House' on Axis TV... he would definitely have current info on how to contact Joe, maybe he would pass on a message to Joe about your find:

[email protected]

Daryl's management company is Wolfson Entertainment, Inc:
www.WolfsonEnt.com

It's a long shot, but I've tracked down much harder things/people with far less info.

Good luck!

richsimo

Reaction score
hi
just a guess...
Could it be a model that actually was played by Joe?
maybe it was written by repairman, put the serial to not change plate by mistake...
Lucky 13 could be the 13th instrument that luthier repaired with success...
cheers

keys88

Reaction score
These are all great ideas, thanks guys! I'm working though these channels a couple at a time so I don't come off as a stalker, lol. I'll report back if I hear anything. Stay tuned...

I couldn't find a single pic of Joe playing a cherry/wine LP or any Gibson LP Custom, but there's a pic of him playing an Epi Zakk Wylde Custom.
This is kind of why I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be some stolen guitar that he wants back. If anything I'm wondering if it was a backup or studio guitar that he just got rid of, possibly after the neck break? Although it does look like someone gave it plenty of use over the years...

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I would imagine, he is ok without it, or would be willing to compensate if not.....sounds like we are making up scenarios as we go along.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I am not sure he has a legal right to the guitar if it turns out to be his and is stolen. It would have been 40 years ago give or take.

keys88

Reaction score
I would imagine, he is ok without it, or would be willing to compensate if not.....sounds like we are making up scenarios as we go along.
Oh, absolutely. There isn't any real proof of any of this. Somebody could have written that there years ago as a laugh... who knows lol.

Fracture

Reaction score
Joe Walsh has FaceBook and Twitter accounts

shouldn't be too difficult

Fretts

Reaction score
That has a mahogany top...........:applause:

That's a rarity on it's own.....and a 1974 anniversary.
There were all mahogany Les Pauls in the 50's, pretty sure that the Black Beauty was all Mahogany and definitely some of the 60s and late 70s Customs were all mahogany, I worked in a music store at the time and I do remember them.

Fretts

Reaction score
Walsh is or was very active in giving or finding guitars for people he likes, It might be one of those.

Latest Threads