What is this written on the inside of my control plate?

keys88

Reaction score
You guys are going to give me a heart attack... bouncing between maybe it’s rare, and oh my god it’s a fake, lol.

I’ll try to get some more pics tonight under the control cavity and I’ll pull the pickups too.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Those Norlin era wine/walnut/cherry finishes sometimes have that mottled/grainy/splotchy look over maple -- I don't actually see real distinct, filled grain there the way you do on the back.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about,.... it's very real. But i agree with @kakerlak that i could be mistaken.... but if I'm not it's even more special. Otherwise it won't hurt if I'm wrong.......;)

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I think it is a Cherry (yes that was a color @kakerlak is spot on) LPC 20th.

I have seen a few Cherry guitars from that time period, but I do not think I have even seen a Custom? Several Standards and mostly Deluxe.

I promise I have never seen a 74 Custom in that color.....

The walnut (also a color used some during this period) mentioned is also a possibility, but this one has a lot of red (or these pics do??)....

I think with the red pore-filler and then that particular color....plus 40+ years of grime and.....well, you guys know....it is now about a half-a-pack away from looking exactly like a "The Paul".

:cool2:

Great player piece, but gut shots would still be nice.

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think it is a Cherry (yes that was a color @kakerlak is spot on) LPC 20th.

I have seen a few Cherry guitars from that time period, but I do not think I have even seen a Custom? Several Standards and mostly Deluxe.

I promise I have never seen a 74 Custom in that color.....

The walnut (also a color used some during this period) mentioned is also a possibility, but this one has a lot of red (or these pics do??)....

I think with the red pore-filler and then that particular color....plus 40+ years of grime and.....well, you guys know....it is now about a half-a-pack away from looking exactly like a "The Paul".

:cool2:

Great player piece, but gut shots would still be nice.
Yeah, I'd really enjoy seeing how different the color is/isn't in areas that have always been covered, like under the backplates, pickup rings and switch ring. I don't think this is walnut -- for whatever reason, walnut seems to be the least colorfast finish Gibson was using in that era and a lot of them fade out in really unbecoming and uneven ways, usually to an orangey color. They weren't typically the deep, reddish brown that other companies, like Guild, were calling Walnut in that era. It doesn't look quite as dark/dull as the typical wine red, though I think that's a possibility, but cherry would be interesting. It's pretty -- prettier than most of the dark reddish Norlin Customs look.

keys88

Reaction score
Ok, I was able to get her undressed and take some more pics ;)

But to start, my lighting was better today so here are two more shots of the body. This is closer to what it looks like in-person. It's a hard color to capture. Honestly, it's more like a rust tone rather than a red or a wine.

body_1.jpg

body_2.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics. When I got it 3 years ago it was missing the pickguard, and some other parts had been replaced over the years. But it gave me an excuse to make it my own. I picked up a cream pickguard and other cream plastics to match. I added some black knobs with gold inserts. And at some point someone replaced the bridge humbucker with a modern pickup, so I replaced that with a period correct t-top to match the neck. It's a little rough around the edges but it's an amazing player. It's had a neck repair but it's rock solid. Someone did a refret at some point and used new binding without nibs, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

View attachment 511827

View attachment 511828

View attachment 511829

View attachment 511830
That thing's beautiful!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Under the switch plate and a couple closeups of where the finish is worn through...

View attachment 512025

View attachment 512026

View attachment 512027
So, definitely a maple top. Color is surprisingly similar under the covered areas. I'm just not quite getting a total cherry vibe from it. But it's definitely a more delicate/translucent finish than the typical wine red, especially thinking of all the wine red customs that are so ubiquitous more like '78-81.

keys88

Reaction score
I think maple makes sense anyway because the mahogany top ones were really brown. My guitar definitely has a reddish tone to it, although it's not as vivid as cherry or as burgundy as wine red. I'll admit, it's an odd one. Gibson wasn't doing special orders back then were they? Or could it be an error, like it was supposed to be wine or cherry but they thinned the stain too much?

Still haven't heard back from Joe Walsh yet, lol (shocker). Even if I don't ever find an answer, having that written on the inside plus the odd finish color definitely makes it unique.

Edit - I also meant to say don't judge me on the wiring job, lol. I wasn't the one who goobered it all up. I mean, I goobered it up a little bit, but it was already like that when it came to me...

Last edited:

Latest Threads