What is this written on the inside of my control plate?

keys88

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've always wondered about this but my googling has always come up empty. Curious if anybody here might have any insights. This is written on the inside of the control plate on my 1974 Custom. It says:

Joe Walsh
"Lucky 13"

I know it's not Joe Walsh's signature. Doesn't match any samples I've seen. But I can't figure out what it means or signifies. By way of background, the previous owner told me the guitar had a neck repair done by Fred Kowalo when he was with Boogie Street Guitars. I have no proof of that, but I also have no reason to doubt it. The guitar has been modded in other ways too. I just assumed various owners had changed things over time, but is it possible the work was all done by Boogie Street and this writing is some kind of custom designation? I would reach out and ask the previous owner but I've owned the guitar for a couple years and I no longer have his contact info.

IMG_1434.JPEG

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does that number match the serial number of your guitar? If not, it may have gotten its backplate switched somehow. If I remember correctly, "Lucky 13" is the nickname of the Burst that Gibson used for the Joe Walsh artist model.

keys88

Reaction score
Yeah, the number matches the serial number on the headstock. It's definitely not a burst, or an artist model for that matter. This was the original 20th Anniversary LP Custom made back in 1974. Mine has the rare transparent red finish, most were either black or white.

keys88

Reaction score
Joe Walsh is probably a dentist from Topeka or sumpin'. :p
Yeah that's why I'm not getting my hopes up haha! Who know what it means... could be nothing :dunno:

Let's see the whole guitar dammit !! I love red customs !!!
I hear ya! It's still a little dark here in the winter morning but once I have some good lighting I'll take a few pics

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing on some of my LP cavity covers.... though it's my name along with the date i purchased it because i didn't keep very good records back in the day... Now i'm a bit more civilized with documents and photographs.

keys88

Reaction score
Here are some pics. When I got it 3 years ago it was missing the pickguard, and some other parts had been replaced over the years. But it gave me an excuse to make it my own. I picked up a cream pickguard and other cream plastics to match. I added some black knobs with gold inserts. And at some point someone replaced the bridge humbucker with a modern pickup, so I replaced that with a period correct t-top to match the neck. It's a little rough around the edges but it's an amazing player. It's had a neck repair but it's rock solid. Someone did a refret at some point and used new binding without nibs, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics. When I got it 3 years ago it was missing the pickguard, and some other parts had been replaced over the years. But it gave me an excuse to make it my own. I picked up a cream pickguard and other cream plastics to match. I added some black knobs with gold inserts. And at some point someone replaced the bridge humbucker with a modern pickup, so I replaced that with a period correct t-top to match the neck. It's a little rough around the edges but it's an amazing player. It's had a neck repair but it's rock solid. Someone did a refret at some point and used new binding without nibs, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

View attachment 511827

View attachment 511828

View attachment 511829

View attachment 511830
That has a mahogany top...........:applause:

That's a rarity on it's own.....and a 1974 anniversary.

keys88

Reaction score
I know those are rare. I kinda thought I might have one when I first found this. But all the mahogany tops I've seen were more brown. This is more reddish?

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a Hog top.... Calling @HardCore Troubadour to check this out. That has too much grain and pores to be maple... the top would have a different brighter shade of red than the back if was maple.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think that's probably a maple top -- just dirty where the finish is worn through. Some pics under the back plates and pickups might help confirm. I don't think I've ever come across a 'hog-top Norlin Custom, but I could be wrong. The glimpse of top under the binding at the horn looks closer in color to the maple sandwich layer then the mahogany on either side of it.

Really cool Custom, though, and I usually dislike cream plastics on Customs, but they really work well on this one.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's probably a maple top -- just dirty where the finish is worn through. Some pics under the back plates and pickups might help confirm. I don't think I've ever come across a 'hog-top Norlin Custom, but I could be wrong. The glimpse of top under the binding at the horn looks closer in color to the maple sandwich layer then the mahogany on either side of it.

Really cool Custom, though, and I usually dislike cream plastics on Customs, but they really work well on this one.
It doesn't have the wide binding in the cutaway like all Norlins do unless they are some special run.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does it look like in the control cavity?

Latest Threads