What is this wood?

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
My luthier buddy and I had a stash of this wood for many years. We were told it was “Ochu“ (?) but have never been able to find anything online call that. It’s looks a lot like white mahogany. Not much grain movement. Just short checks. Not as hard as Limba but machines similar to Honduras mahogany. Thoughts?

I’ll post a pic in a second.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
for reference, this is the size of a once pc body blank. I also have a piece large enough for say an explorer. So it comes from a big tree.

E807CDD4-69C2-46BC-A04F-ED47FE6F4482.jpeg

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is , but I love it.

Bainzy

Reaction score
Could be Idigbo (Terminalia Ivorensis)? It looks very similar in the photo. It's almost identical genetically to Limba but tends to have a slightly coarser grain and is easy to buy from sustainable sources here in the UK.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Ochoo? Hura (Hura Crepitans). No idea what it would be like for making guitars, but it's workable.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Ochoo? Hura (Hura Crepitans). No idea what it would be like for making guitars, but it's workable.
Seems like it! thanks. Only this stuff is not all that heavy. Very much like Hondo-Mahogany

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Thanks for the help all

Its listed on the website (under Hura-Ochoo) as musical instrument wood and its does that well.

We have made a handful of guitars out of this wood in the past. Mostly S and T types that end up med-light weight and usually sound really good. I ended up with two chunks at my shop. I have been working a lot with Korina, and then pulled this out….and thought why not use in similar builds.

People wanting an explorer seem to want Korina or Honduras Mahogany only. So not sure a "mystery" wood would be all that appealing. But for maybe a SC or DC junior? Why not...

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also called the sandbox tree.

get this:

"The fruit is a large capsule with explosive dehiscence. When ripe, pods catapult the seeds as far as 100 meters. It has also been known as the Dynamite tree, so named for the explosive sound of the ripe fruit as it splits into segments."

:shock:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also called the sandbox tree.

get this:

"The fruit is a large capsule with explosive dehiscence. When ripe, pods catapult the seeds as far as 100 meters. It has also been known as the Dynamite tree, so named for the explosive sound of the ripe fruit as it splits into segments."

:shock:
Sounds like a Star Trek episode...........

31e4886a15c4b1b21afe9689cc67238b.gif

Latest Threads