judson

Reaction score
looks like a studio with some mods....

if thats an ebony board, could be from 1983 to early 90's

check the serial number

thats my guess :dunno:

30secs

Reaction score
I'm guessing early 90's Studio Lite model. I have a 93 in a different color. The ebony board and all black hardware are what I'm basing it on.
Do you like the lite model? Is it worth $1000?

Phylodog

Reaction score
Mine plays nice enough but the frets need serious attention so I don't have strong feelings on it either way. I've not been playing it and actually have it listed locally for $950. If it doesn't sell I'll probably use it as my first attempt at a refret.

MSB

Reaction score
studio lite. fairly unique in construction for Gibson.

judson

Reaction score
do a search on Reverb and/or eBay

you can find them under $1000 but maybe not in the early 1990's but keep an eye out for one

the first 90's studio i bought has an ebony fretboard and got me hooked on them....

i think they are Gibson sleepers for the money...happy hunting :yesway:

Dilver

Reaction score
93-95 Studio Lite. People hated these things because they removed areas of wood and replaced with Balsa to make it lighter. In reality, a weight relieved“Swiss Cheese” Les Paul has more wood removed than these. These models had ebony fretboards, black chrome hardware, slightly thinner bodies, and the same pickups as the Les Paul Classic (496R and 500T). The 500T is kind of a cool, very HOT pickup - kind of a one trick pony but a really cool trick.

A lot of the blue ones turned an weird greenish color after the blue finish faded. And the headstocks on a LOT of these develop finish issues - purely aesthetic, but you see it all the time. I modded the crap out of mine with new hardware, electronics, pickups, plastic. I still keep it for situations where I’m not comfortable bringing my more expensive Gibsons but still want a guitar with humbuckers (I ended up putting in OX4s).
3CE50821-FBD5-418D-A650-2AE28D8700A2.jpeg

judson

Reaction score
93-95 Studio Lite. People hated these things because they removed areas of wood and replaced with Balsa to make it lighter. In reality, a weight relieved“Swiss Cheese” Les Paul has more wood removed than these. These models had ebony fretboards, black chrome hardware, slightly thinner bodies, and the same pickups as the Les Paul Classic (496R and 500T). The 500T is kind of a cool, very HOT pickup - kind of a one trick pony but a really cool trick.

A lot of the blue ones turned an weird greenish color after the blue finish faded. And the headstocks on a LOT of these develop finish issues - purely aesthetic, but you see it all the time. I modded the crap out of mine with new hardware, electronics, pickups, plastic. I still keep it for situations where I’m not comfortable bringing my more expensive Gibsons but still want a guitar with humbuckers (I ended up putting in OX4s).
your post reminded me of the best thing about Studios....

best thing with Studios, you can do any and all the mods you want and forget the resale value when you do it...you can "fit" one to do what you want it to feel like sound like and look like...with no second thought...if you do a mod you dont care for ....change it again...there is no wrong with these in my book !

93studiolite

Reaction score
As others have said, it looks to be a trans blue studio lite. Mine is a 93 in trans amber, I’ve had it since 94. I changed the 496/500 out for a Manlius t-top/vinyl set. I’m debating changing out the black plastics and knobs for cream and the gold hardware to nickel for a Slash AFD vibe, but I haven’t made up my mind.

I don’t “get along” with mine and I never really have though. I prefer to play my Strat and PRS over the Studio any day. The studio was a gift from my parents so I won’t sell it though.

Latest Threads