What is this gunk that's coming off my fretboards?

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks more like the black gunk I get when I polish the fret wire.
I get the same stuff from fret wire. Not the board though unless it was really gunked. But I do a fret and board clean once a year so never really gets like that.

DanD

Reaction score
Red rouge buffing compound has been on several new ones I've bought. Usually almost completely gone after a few hours of play.

I've noticed more on my USA Gibsons than on my CS guitars. My '15 Rs had none. My '14 R9 had a trace. My '13 USA STD had a bunch.

Once it goes away on mine it doesn't come back. It's only residual compound from buffing the board.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson does not dye their feet boards. Another misinformed post about Gibson.....
Who is misinformed? A luthier friend of mine who used to work for Gibson told me today that they will dye the boards sometimes. He has even demonstrated for me, on one of his own builds, how he can darken the board. He can easily make a brown board black in a very short amount of time.

But they probably do not dye them often. Usually, dying is done to tame an unnatural looking streak, not as a general practice to darken boards.

It is possible that what is seen on the cloth is natural from a rosewood board.

Last edited:

John Dewey

Reaction score
The first time I do a string change on any RW board I condition it. I use Doctor Duck. Not because I think it's the best. Because it's what I have and a bottle will last for years. Imo, it works well. I've done this to at least 30 LP's over the years and never ended up with gunk on the rag. I don't have a clue what the OP has going on.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, I do believe that ole Jon has been on a couple of Gibson shop tours . I’m inclined to believe him about the dye.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/recent-gibson-factory-tour-vid.351487/
Hey, Low Gain, show some respect! That's Mister Informed to you!

;)

Frank
Who is misinformed? A luthier friend of mine who used to work for Gibson told me today that they will dye the boards sometimes. He has even demonstrated for me, on one of his own builds, how he can darken the board. He can easily make a brown board black in a very short amount of time.

But they probably do not dye them often. Usually, dying is done to tame an unnatural looking streak, not as a general practice to darken boards.

It is possible that what is seen on the cloth is natural from a rosewood board.

Well in all fairness I guess one should never say never. I did take a couple of tours and talked pretty extensively about fret boards and necks. I had them do a “Pearly Gates” neck on my 2011. They showed me the boards, the benches, materials used, etc.. I was able to see a few being done. I never asked specifically about them dying boards, but it most certainly was not being done in any stage of any I saw being built, or the bare boards in 2011 or the next time in 2013.

Of the many, many reissues I have owned, I have never experienced any dye on the board. I can absolutely see where, as at least one other member posted about the buffing compound being a strong possibility.

So anyway, my apologies for coming off too strong and throwing the “never” thing around. I should have left it to a simple “not to my knowledge or experience”.

jlb32

Reaction score
If they do dye anything I'm guessing it is pretty rare IMO. I know a few guys that have worked at Gibson also and they told me they have never seen any dyed fretboards.:dunno:

I've specifically asked them that question because I was wondering also, it's been a while though, and they stated that Gibson did not dye because they prefer the natural streaking and color of the wood, regardless of if it is lighter or darker.

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned and oiled many Gibson boards, and I never got any hint of dye. None.

I picked up an ESP Eclipse for my nephew recently, and while I did not clean the fretboard, I did slap some new strings on it, and I played it for an hour, and my fingertips were black. This never happens on any of my guitars, for any brand. I've heard of it, but this was my first experience.

Oh well, I just gave the guitar to my nephew, so it's his problem now.

That said, I'm on a tear to pick up a good ESP Eclipse with active pickups. I don't usually go for that sort of thing, but I found them interesting. Being a cheap old bastard, it may take a while...

Last edited: