What is the value of case candy?

Michael M.

Reaction score
Another thread from a guy on the hunt.
I am shopping around for a Standard or Classic in the price range of $1,350 (Goldtop Classics - not a big fan of the plaintop burts) to $1,850 (a Standard in goldtop or tea/honey burst). These seem to be from around 2002-2014.

I don't really care about hanging tags and manuals . . . but I find my heart putting value in the final inspection card that has the date, serial number, and signatures. There have been a few really nice Standards in my price range that are missing these and I feel like I need to be waiting for one that has the card . . . or . . . negotiate to a price that makes me comfortable NOT having the card.

What are your thoughts one the card? Do ya have to have it?
How much is it worth to the resale?
Am I right believing that it has value or is grounds to pass on a guitar? I have found myself really attached to images of a great guitar without one . . . but then another one comes along and I realize I can wait. If I held it in my hands and loved it I would probably just get it but we are talking about gambling with guitars on auction sites that I haven't felt.

I appreciate your input.
Michael M.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Such a personal decision. I am something of a completist, so ideally I would like to have all that I can. On a used guitar, I would be less rigid about it.

However, I bought an R0 new from guitar center, and it was lacking c.o.a., other paperwork, and even the historic case. So, I ended up returning it. No real regrets.

On a used one, as you suggested, you might ask about some sort of discount, but only you can decide if it is worth declining a purchase based on the missing stuff.

Brek

Reaction score
With the rare but real thing that is fakery, all the case candy present helps me feel more confident the guitar is kosha, the fact it is still present to me also speaks of the mindset of the owner (this could be completely wrong of course) as someone who cares about the guitar. For example I purchased a 2003 goldtop last month, there was one a tad cheaper, but the one I bought had all the correct for year case candy, unopened, literally like the closet classic fender made a thing of when they first started making aged guitars. The guitar wasn’t a case queen there were a couple of deep scratches in the lacquer which I polished out with 600/800/1500 wet/dry and a diminishing compound, used ultimate compound for the top, and the guitar would pass for just leaving the factory, well, actually better lol. Woops, sidetracked from point, basically yeah I want candy. So for me no additional value in terms of price, but for helping me to make a yes/no, invaluable.

Michael M.

Reaction score
It reminds me of when I used to be into luxury watches. The box and papers added HUGE value to a watch. As such, I never bought a watch with box and papers because the only way I could afford a late 60s or early 70s Submariner or GMT was if they were missing.

In this case they don't bring as much value so I am kinda on the fence.

Thanks for the response so far.

JMP

Reaction score
For a nice USA (non custom shop) Les Paul in your price range, the case candy has zero dollar value. Don’t pass up an otherwise good deal because there’s no case candy.

jvin248

Reaction score

I had a couple of guitars I bought to flip, I bagged up all the cards and was going to hang them with the guitars on consignment and the shop owner told me to just keep that material because the cards/etc just gets stolen anyway.
Which really unpacked a whole string of problems. People want the paperwork so badly they will take it, the store can't monitor such thefts, and someone taking it wouldn't understand that serial numbers don't match.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It's really cool when a guitar is quite old though and still has it all. I have a 1977 Greco custom shop semi hollow that not only has all it's paperwork, but a PO kept the original tuners and knobs in the case after changing them. And I bought a 1979 Aria that had all it's original paperwork in the case. I sure didn't expect those to still be there though.

My 2014 Gibson LP Traditional had some of it's case candy when I bought it. My 1997 Blueshawk has nothing and I don't know what it might have had. I had a 1983 SG I bought new and I can't remember now what it had other than an owner's manual. I don't think it even had the truss rod wrench back then.

Lhdr

Reaction score
It creates the perception that the seller cares. They take care of things and like them in order. If you buy a new house or boat and their is a file with every manual, model number, warranty of every appliance, pump, furnace or fuse, it creates a sense of top notch care. The house is clean, things are in order, it creates value. To me, it represents meticulous care and for some, that might be enough to make the sale easier whatever is being sold.

shupe13

Reaction score
Sorry I let my inner smartass shine.

Seriously though... I think all the candy adds to the appeal but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the case candy you could ever want...

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
My guitars were purchased second hand.
Either online or locally.
One SG shipped with gig bag and LP Custom checklist.
Another SG shipped from Japan with Origami Crane.
Custom Shop LP Junior DC with original case, no COA.

For me, missing paperwork doesn't matter.
I enjoy playing guitars, not paperwork.

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
My used Explorer had all the docs, the "baby photo", the cleaning cloth and the strap in the case. Bonus.
My new Vintera Tele had nothing at all in the gig bag other than the guitar.

none2low

Reaction score
I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I have some guitars with paperwork and some without, but I've never let the lack of said paperwork stop me from buying.

I get the whole psychological aspect of it being there, but whether it's a Custom Shop, USA or an Import model, the paperwork adds zero to the playability or sound of an instrument. And yes I realize that for some it might add a couple bucks in value, but I don't typically buy guitars to flip so it's not a big concern for myself.

The real question is whether it's worth it to you? If yes, then by all means find one that has it, but I personally wouldn't pass up on a good deal just because it's missing the warranty card.

Hecubus

Reaction score
On a USA model, the paperwork holds no monetary value. If you want info on the guitar, there is a serial number on the back. If a potential buyer backs out of a deal because I can't find the paper or baby pic, I would consider it a dodged bullet. Probably the same type of buyer that would want a partial refund for file marks on binding.

With that said, I do keep all that stuff and proof of purchase in a file for insurance purposes.

Latest Threads