What is the root cause of GAS?

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never ridden a Harley, nor do I have a motorcycle license but I did have a strong urge to buy one. I figured I could sell all my guitars and amps and buy a new Harley.

I wouldn't likely use it any more than I use my guitars, but it would take up less space in my apartment :laugh2:

E.T.

Reaction score
I've never ridden a Harley, nor do I have a motorcycle license but I did have a strong urge to buy one. I figured I could sell all my guitars and amps and buy a new Harley.

I wouldn't likely use it any more than I use my guitars, but it would take up less space in my apartment :laugh2:
From what I've seen of Harleys and heard from bike mechanics ("there's one in every garage in America") it's possible even if you had the license to ride that it would spend more time taking up that space in the apartment than on the road..:rofl:

E.T.

Reaction score
The root cause of GAS is that you aren't truly happy with your instrument
This is true.. I haven't been able to play my normal tuned SG all winter due to fret sprout, it still nosedives a bit despite the bolt neck and doesn't hang as comfortably as a LP. You'd think I'd have learned after half a dozen of them, but noooooo..

ACEit

Reaction score
I always though that GAS doesn't come when you eat ROOT... but BEANS... :rolleyes:

mjross

Reaction score
Help me understand why you feel this way / what you mean?
It is what it is! As many times as this has been brought up on this forum, people continue to bring it up. Some people have GAS because they can!

Last year I attended the Barrett Jackson auto auction and saw a guy sell off a butt load of exotic sports cars. I asked a guy next to me why would someone have so many expensive exotics in the first place, his remark, because he can! It’s probably no different with guitars or anything else for that matter.

That‘s just my take on the GAS thing, if you see it differently that’s OK too!

Last edited:

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
It is what it is! As many times as this has been brought up on this forum, people continue to bring it up. Some people have GAS because they can!

Last year I attended the Barrett Jackson auto auction and saw a guy sell off a butt load of exotic sports cars. I asked a guy next to me why would someone have so many expensive exotics in the first place, his remark, because he can! It’s probably no different with guitars or anything else for that matter.

That‘s just my take on the GAS thing, if you see it differently that’s OK too!
I was gonna mention car collectors. But really if you have any other hobbies you'll recognize a similar trend. Cameras, guns, wine or whiskey or beer, legos, woodworking, etc. There is always the urge to get something new even if you have more than enough at home. There's the old joke "whoever dies with the most stuff wins". I think it's just human nature when you're interested in something. Variety is the spice of life after all.

I bought my first Gibson in 2001 and didn't buy another guitar until 2012. Not because I didn't want more guitars, I was just broke haha. Sometimes a new guitar inspires you in a new way or pushes you to practice more. If it's not hurting anyone and you're not endangering your financial future then why not? I'd rather have more guitars that bring me joy rather than wait until I'm on my deathbed and realize I saved every penny only to never enjoy life.

mjross

Reaction score
I was gonna mention car collectors. But really if you have any other hobbies you'll recognize a similar trend. Cameras, guns, wine or whiskey or beer, legos, woodworking, etc. There is always the urge to get something new even if you have more than enough at home. There's the old joke "whoever dies with the most stuff wins". I think it's just human nature when you're interested in something. Variety is the spice of life after all.

I bought my first Gibson in 2001 and didn't buy another guitar until 2012. Not because I didn't want more guitars, I was just broke haha. Sometimes a new guitar inspires you in a new way or pushes you to practice more. If it's not hurting anyone and you're not endangering your financial future then why not? I'd rather have more guitars that bring me joy rather than wait until I'm on my deathbed and realize I saved every penny only to never enjoy life.
I’m with you dude! I always try to help the other guy when I can but I also try to satisfy the dreams I’ve had for the years since I retired from my job. Some of us work for all those years to have the things we want. However, I have not forgot the other guy. It’s possible to do both. Rock on Sir!

E.T.

Reaction score
I'm not bashing the Syndrome, just thought I should mention that. I'm down with it. Next step in my amanalamalysis will be to see how long the new axe staves off the symptoms.. hopefully starting at some point tomorrow!! :hyper:

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
My GAS has always been the thrill of the hunt and trying to get something new and maybe better. But, in the end once the new item shows up it's almost always a let down. I love it for a short while and then I'm off looking for something else.

I recently decided to pare down once and for all and I have sold everything except 3 guitars and 2 amps. I will not buy another guitar because they just come and go and I never feel satiated...

E.T.

Reaction score
My GAS has always been the thrill of the hunt and trying to get something new and maybe better. But, in the end once the new item shows up it's almost always a let down. I love it for a short while and then I'm off looking for something else.

I recently decided to pare down once and for all and I have sold everything except 3 guitars and 2 amps. I will not buy another guitar because they just come and go and I never feel satiated...
Sounds like you reached a moment of clarity! See, I just get it in short fits once in a blue moon.. Generally I've bought a second guitar if I've been in the position to, traded up a few times and then sold the last one in the chain when it's come time- that way I've tried a broad spectrum of things and ended up with few.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Guitars look like you want to play them.

Latest Threads