What is the deal with pristine closet queen guitars?

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good guitars are expensive and are an investment. Most people who can afford their dream instrument can also afford a couple of “gig” instruments as well; quality gig instruments that play and sound excellently. They use those to gig and jam, saving their historic reissue custom shop instruments as a beautiful investment or as a precious possession. Even famous violinists who own Stradivarius and Guarneri violins will rarely take those instruments on the road, opting to play high quality Sophie’s. It’s just common sense to protect something that is so vulnerable to damage. Compare it to someone who loves to drive off-road, and they own a Ferrari, a Porsche, and 3 pickup trucks, they probably don’t go “muddin’” in the Ferrari.
Mark Knopfler gigs with '58 and '59 Les Pauls. Of course, he likely also has security on top of the venue security.

pblanton

Reaction score
What is going on. Does the owner never play them?
When I was younger I wanted a Les Paul Custom but couldn't afford one. I did have a lawsuit Burny and an LP Studio. When I finally got my Custom Black Beauty, it sat mostly in its case but I did take it out and play it in the house from time to time. Eventually it got a few minor dings and a couple of scratches and I began to leave it out and play it more often.

Ironically, I didn't want to play it a lot because it was so expensive and perfect and pretty, and I didn't want to ruin it. Eventually though I realized that the money spent on it had been a waste if I don't play it.

Ultimately I sold it for quite a profit, realizing that having so much money tied up in one instrument that didn't really play any better than cheaper instruments, was a foolish thing to do.

Now I am a huge fan of cheap guitars even though I do still own three Gibson Les Pauls - one standard, one '56 reissue goldtop, and a different LP Custom Black Beauty - but none of them were very expensive when I acquired them.

One of my favorite Les Pauls and the best playing one I have, and by far the prettiest, is a Wolf WLP-750T https://www.allinoneguitars.com/product-page/aio-wolf-wlp-750t-electric-guitar-cherry-burst-no-case. Brand new it was only $450. It is highly recommended!

Sweeper5

Reaction score
Mark Knopfler gigs with '58 and '59 Les Pauls. Of course, he likely also has security on top of the venue security.
Few people have Mr. Knopfler’s wealth and access to these guitars. I said “most people”, not the rich-and-famous.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few people have Mr. Knopfler’s wealth and access to these guitars. I said “most people”, not the rich-and-famous.
We were discussing closet queens, and the non wealthy aren't the only ones who own them. Plenty of well off players have dozens that stay in cases, locked away.

Sweeper5

Reaction score
We were discussing closet queens, and the non wealthy aren't the only ones who own them. Plenty of well off players have dozens that stay in cases, locked away.
I don’t understand your point then? I must have misunderstood what you meant. ☺

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand your point then? I must have misunderstood what you meant. ☺
My point was, the thread title is closet queens and the people who own them. Knopfler is an artist who tours with his, as do others. So he uses his expensive guitars. I thought you meant that people don't play them or hoard them so they don't get damaged because they are not replaceable, and some do, but wealthy players have thousands of closet queens among them, and they no doubt worry about them, and so don't play them.

Paranoia has no credit limit :)

Wise Guy

Reaction score
There are many guitarists who own dozens and dozens of guitars, to the extent that if it's not that person's top guitar, it may not get played very often. It's there for that one niche situation, and it may just sit in the closet more or less forgotten about until enough time has passed that the person decides that they can justify selling it.

Plus some people are really careful. I had an acoustic that I bought in college; I brought it to campus a couple times a week to jam with some folks for two or three years straight, then it sat in a corner for a few years being played a few times a year, then it went into my closet in its case for several years. By the time I finally sold it, it was 12 years old, but still looked brand new.
That's me. I own approximately 58 guitars of various brands and models and most don't get played at all. The few I do play regularly get banged up pretty good. I have an American made BC Rick Mockingbird in pristine condition just because I don't play it. Normally I'll go through different playing phases where all I'll play are superStrats or Les Pauls...etc. During these phases the other guitars just don't get played.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I’m very careful with my gear because I want to be and because I may sell it at some point. And a lot of us don’t need to get loaded or drink at all as part of our playing music or shows.

My #1 is my beloved 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard who has been used at many gigs including the Fillmore SF and the Whiskey AGo Go. She has some very minor buckle rash on the back and minor pick scratches on the front after over a hundred gigs. Based on that she is in excellent condition because I care about that.

I do have 3 upgraded Epiphone LP’s and import Charvel’s out of my 39 guitars that I use at shadier gigs thoughto keep “Emma” from harm...better safe than sorry lol

rayspang

Reaction score
I've been playing off and on since high school. I've collected many of the guitars I always admired but could not afford back then. I don't play that much any more but just love just looking at them. some are safely in their cases and other are hung on the wall. My wife and kids think I'm crazy.

aakes90278

Reaction score
I've been playing off and on since high school. I've collected many of the guitars I always admired but could not afford back then. I don't play that much any more but just love just looking at them. some are safely in their cases and other are hung on the wall. My wife and kids think I'm crazy.
My wife thinks i am too......but i like you love looking at them.

lwchafin

Reaction score
rayspang, you are describing me, my house and my wife. We should start a club.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hmm: Ok if you all start a club, there needs to be rules.

Whats the first rule in Hide equipment from your wives club?

I'm drawing a blank.

(Its a club, your avoiding fights, your quiet about it.... idk) lol

jadm110

Reaction score
I have my good guitars that live in their cases when not in my hands. .......then I have a drag-around old epiphone LP that I take to places where I meet with unknown players. if some one damages it well - this is what the guitar's job "to protect my good ones" ( side note) if some one is so drunk that they are tripping over their own guitar - please- have some one record your playing and post it on u-tube for the rest of us to enjoy :jam::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Nighthawk

Reaction score
I look ater my possessions. The sword collection, the militaria, the library of rare books, the art works and my 20 or so guitars. Yes, most of them stay in their cases undar the bed. And some of them I bought when the GFC was at its height as an investment. But in my all-the-time rack of 7 guitars are the ones I play constantly and use with care and precision. Including a Bass VI and Baritone, a Les Paul and Strats to cover the bases when recording.

My main guitar is a heavily customised Gibson "The Hawk" - Fender scale neck, SD Slash pickups, string through bridge, locking tuners, etc. It has a ding or two, and a large patch of softening nitro where my picking arm rests. That's part of the deal. Visible wear from constant playing. And it only makes me love it more.

But I take the same amount of care in looking after my guitars as I do in playing, picking, soloing and fretting each note when I use them. Accuracy, precision, focussed attention - hallmarks of a serious musician, IMHO - YMMV.

Conversely, I don't buy 'new' guitars very often. They generally lack soul or vibe. I buy well-kept/played guitars around 10 years old or more, when they've had a chance for the p/ups and tonewoods to 'settle in' and acquire some individuality. But I never buy re-issues - what's the point? It's never gonna sound and play like an original until its the same age.

And I never buy 'reliced' guitars. I'll buy a guitar that sounds good and plays well with a few bumps, but fake 'relicing'? No chance - Relicing is about 'looking like a musician' not being one.

Occasionally I sell some guitars to make room for 'new' ones. And I don't lose money on them. I bought my first real guitar (Fender Jazz Bass) brand new in 1975, played it, loved it, gigged it, and made 400% profit when I sold it in the late 90s. I play my guitars AND I look after them.

The Nighthawk

Reaction score
For all the 'It's just a bit of buckle rash' guys out there:
Slide your belt around so the buckle is on your hip and doesn't hit the guitar.
Solved.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play naked so I don't mar any of my guitars. The neighbors keep posting on nextdoor that I need to close the blinds but I ignore them.

I just bought a 2011 Goldtop with some buckle rash. Not sure how I'm going to explain that now.

judson

Reaction score
zillion years back, kids in school were wearing their belts with the buckle slid to the side and i never knew why....

if you look at pics of the 60's 70's and i found out the reason that popular guitar players did it for that reason so not to mark the guitar....beatles and stones stuff

all the little posers in grade school just wanted to be kewl......:slap:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people take care of their guitars more than others.....
Bingo. Guitars, tools, etc....
Home players vs. players who gig. Different levels of care with guitars. Poly guitars will keep their finish a lot longer.
And this.
Some of us have never had a paying gig. Some have not had a paying gig in 30 years. Some don't get drunk when playing.

And some of us have enough guitars to play a different one every day of the month. How long is a guitar going to look good when only played 12 times a year?
Of course, the favorites get the most play... but also the most care.

Latest Threads