What is it about Gold Tops?

Taylor67

Reaction score
It's funny, for years, I was only into the faded burst look, Iced Tea, or Honeyburst, maybe a lemonburst? Didn't even really drool too much over Black Beauties until I fell into a deal on a Custom Lite. But, there was always a soft spot for a worn in gold top, that's turned green, worn down to the top, kinda thing!

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at GT threads... New ones never really grab me by the doodads. But, I ended up falling in love with the Less Plus P-90 a few years ago and when the '15s came up on clearance, well..... And, as I've poked back in here since my NGD thread, I've suddenly noticed a huge amount of Gold Top love kinda threads.

What is it about Gold Tops? The bling? The fact that the first ones were GTs? The fact that there might be a highly figured top lurking underneath?

Dunno but I know what you mean.
31761E6D-B61F-4E60-ABD5-0F131977FF00.jpeg

Burny FLG

Reaction score
I was after a tobacco bust LP to replace a 74 Burny. But ended up falling in love with an au natural LPC. If you squint it could be a gold top.

Censport

Reaction score
Back in the mid-80's, I had a GT ('80-'81, I think), and it sounded awesome. Looked great, too. My previous LP was '79 Deluxe with a cherry sunburst over plain maple grain, and minibuckers. It had a good neck, but I didn't care for the "baby-buckers". The GT had PAFs and rocked the way I wanted, although the neck was just a touch big for me. Sadly, it was stolen after a gig in '86. I don't even have a photo of it.

My '05 honeyburst is the best of both: Great neck, awesome tone, with a sweet flame thrown in for good measure. Totally in love with it.

But yeah, I'd have another GT. PAFs or P-90s, either would be fine. There is a '15 Deluxe for sale near me, and it's tempting. The price is almost where I could justify dropping in a set of P-90s and maybe replacing the boost toggle switch with a push-pull pot...

1allspub

Reaction score
I’m not sure what it is about GT fever around here lately, but even I am starting to get maybe tempted to get one. Full disclosure, I’ve never been a GT fan for whatever reason... and maybe now that I have 4 sunburst LPs and a black one, I guess a GT is the next logical choice???

Or maybe it’s just herd mentality :D... and keeping up with the Jones (and/or @Christosterone...he’s really the one to blame for this recent MLP GT fever, methinks ;)).

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what it is about GT fever around here lately, but even I am starting to get maybe tempted to get one. Full disclosure, I’ve never been a GT fan for whatever reason... and maybe now that I have 4 sunburst LPs and a black one, I guess a GT is the next logical choice???

Or maybe it’s just herd mentality :D... and keeping up with the Jones (and/or @Christosterone...he’s really the one to blame for this recent MLP GT fever, methinks ;)).

I don’t know if he’s on MLP but it made me happy to see a 2018 Goldie classic on SNL last weekend

full

gitapik

Reaction score
Well...on the flip side of that, I think the bottom line is that times and tastes change and the pendulum swings and the Patriots are always in the hunt since Belichik and Brady rode into town.

I bought my already beat to shit ‘69 Gold Top in ‘73 for $300 and kept it completely stock and beat to shit for years cuz I had no money. Then I got my first ever day job and happily made some changes that kept the guitar in tune, beefed up the sound with humbuckers, and split the coils This was the ‘80s. Little did I know or care about resale value at that point. No way was I going to sell and it sounded great.

But the one thing that remained the same and is still so incredible today, is how well it plays, physically. It hangs at just the right angle. The neck is straight as a newly made arrow, and the fingerboard/action is perfect. So, for me, the thing about my Gold Top is that, despite the changes I made over the years, it plays like a dream.

bum

Reaction score
I saw these guys live in the 90s and fell in love right there right then

Censport

Reaction score
You know what I've been doing since posting on this thread? Looking for Gold Tops on craigslist and in local stores.

Dang it, y'all.

scott1970

Reaction score
You know what I've been doing since posting on this thread? Looking for Gold Tops on craigslist and in local stores.

Dang it, y'all.

I started admiring them. Then looking at more and more pictures of them. One day my wife said, "You will have a gold top, it's just a matter of time." I didn't believe her. I was wrong.

Adamc

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a gold top les paul. Ever since I was 12 starting to play guitar, I could never afford a LP, now that I finally have one, it had to be a gold top. I’m 34 and I felt like a kid when I brought it home lol

Latest Threads