What is it about Gold Tops?

Axis39

Reaction score
It's funny, for years, I was only into the faded burst look, Iced Tea, or Honeyburst, maybe a lemonburst? Didn't even really drool too much over Black Beauties until I fell into a deal on a Custom Lite. But, there was always a soft spot for a worn in gold top, that's turned green, worn down to the top, kinda thing!

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at GT threads... New ones never really grab me by the doodads. But, I ended up falling in love with the Less Plus P-90 a few years ago and when the '15s came up on clearance, well..... And, as I've poked back in here since my NGD thread, I've suddenly noticed a huge amount of Gold Top love kinda threads.

What is it about Gold Tops? The bling? The fact that the first ones were GTs? The fact that there might be a highly figured top lurking underneath?

Reaction score
Kind of crazy how everyone's into gold tops now, according to a Joe Bonamassa interview I saw recently Gibson told him that they couldn't move gold tops back when they first introduced his signature model.

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want an '18 Classic P-90 Gold Top. It's pretty much an R6 with a shaved neck. Swap in mini-hums, you have a late '70s Deluxe.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hum...
let me think...

82d4eefcf44373d58b9cbbf3d1f90bf7.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant answer that either, but WOW, has there ever been Gold Top Fever 'round deez parts

Breezin

Reaction score
Kind of crazy how everyone's into gold tops now, according to a Joe Bonamassa interview I saw recently Gibson told him that they couldn't move gold tops back when they first introduced his signature model.

The Epi Bonamassa Gold top was the first one I bought. I bought it mostly because it
had a 50's neck and Gibson pickups, wasn't a huge fan of goldtops at the time.

Now I cant put my finger on exactly what happened but after sitting and playing that
a couple weeks I became a huge fan of Gold tops, somehow Its just special .

I don't know. I don't understand. Gold tops are boring to me

Its OK not all of us can have good taste. :cheers:

Last edited:

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Isn't the legend of the gold top that Les Paul chose a metallic gold finish because it looked expensive? Thereby giving it the appearance of a solid gold guitar.

judson

Reaction score
first lp i ever touched i think was a 69 - 71 goldtop with just the right amount of wear with green showing on the upper bout right arm wear area, it seemed to weigh a ton, thought it was ugly, dont remember the sound as i was too stoned, drunk and/or high on something per usual back then, traded it away for a flying V which is also long gone.

and now i am always looking to grab one ....i think you feel it or you dont, something about them

kherman

Reaction score
Why a goldtop? Because a couple years ago one came up for a really good price on craig's list. So, I said why not a gold top!;)
But, I'm opposite of OBK, I prefer the clear natural back.
Honestly, I'd like to see Gibson offer more solid colored tops. like a blacktop, redtop, greentop, bluetop, yellowtop, etc...
Natural backs of course. :D

4cwKjGb.jpg

J0YzLpb.jpg

afjungemann

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd like to see Gibson offer more solid colored tops. like a blacktop, redtop, greentop, bluetop, yellowtop, etc...
Natural backs of course. :D

I have been lusting after this for a while too. Nothing cooler than a natural back with colored tops. I so badly wish the 2018 classic in black had a natural back... it would be mine already if it was. I am going to own a Pelham blue when someone grows tired and wants to move theirs along for the right price.

Did you see the olive drab top with cream plastics and p90’s? Mmmmmm

filtersweep

Reaction score
It's funny, for years, I was only into the faded burst look, Iced Tea, or Honeyburst, maybe a lemonburst? Didn't even really drool too much over Black Beauties until I fell into a deal on a Custom Lite. But, there was always a soft spot for a worn in gold top, that's turned green, worn down to the top, kinda thing!

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at GT threads... New ones never really grab me by the doodads. But, I ended up falling in love with the Less Plus P-90 a few years ago and when the '15s came up on clearance, well..... And, as I've poked back in here since my NGD thread, I've suddenly noticed a huge amount of Gold Top love kinda threads.

What is it about Gold Tops? The bling? The fact that the first ones were GTs? The fact that there might be a highly figured top lurking underneath?
Honestly, I believe it is the price that has driven recent interest. I really wanted one with P90s- but the are impossible to find. So I went honey burst. But P90s are where it is happening. There is no cooler P90 guitar.

Alderbeck

Reaction score
As soon as I had the money for my dream guitar I played 4 goldtops and chose the traditional which knocked the others out of the park. My only regret is I did not have the extra £500 to get a marc bolan signature which would have been my first choice. Hey ho still this is my number 1 guitar 6 years later but still waiting for it to go green.

Latest Threads