What is a small thing that makes a big difference to your LP?

ManicPete

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is something out there that you do or have done that has made a big difference to your LP? Either in terms of your enjoyment of playing it, or aesthetically, or sound, or anything? Just a mid-week chilled out chat while we wait for the weekend!

For example, I have recently moved to Jazz III picks and after a day or two of getting used to it I feel that my picking has improved 500% - both in terms of accuracy and speed but also just general feel while I am playing.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
The three big changes I made to my '94 to were getting it re-fretted, changing the pick-ups, and installing grover tuners. The pickups are Zhangbuckers - http://www.zhangbucker.com The fret wire is Stewmac #149. It's .046" tall by .103 wide.

I also play with Jazz III Max Grips.

MSB

Reaction score
tyrannosaurus bone nut
locking tuners for stability
top wrap
pick guard off (screw returned to keep the tonez)
roller bridge
strap locks (especially the sharp pointy ones)

jbash

Reaction score
Stopped utilizing 50s wiring and went back to modern wiring.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Faber locking tailpiece studs. Also pickups, I almost never leave the stock pickups.

Also, have recently begun experimenting with .015 neck caps... and so far love it!

El Marin

Reaction score
The guitar itself... I think is the thin lacquer it has that makes it so resonant and full... Had a bunch of LPs... I was going to give up LPs forever until I found the one I use now

Ah! And the P90s... factory ones they are amazing

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
Real things? nothing, not a single thing has made a difference

Aesthetically? arguable, BUT I'm obsessed with aluminum tailpieces, graphtech bridges and nuts, kluson tuners with almost translucent plastic, Stewmac prewired kits, and Dimarzio pickups

Robmosis

Reaction score
So what? It's a tiny fraction of their output.
HP models are fantastic. The carved neck heel makes a huge difference when playing high up the neck. That’s the one thing I always hated about my other LP. I wanted a double cut just because of that issue, but with the HP it doesn’t bother me near as much. The titanium nut is also a major improvement, who wants to have to ‘craft’ a new nut if something isn’t right? Just adjust it, genius.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
All the small stuff I changed on my Tribute was aesthetics. The swap from P-90s to mini hums and adding a vibrato were major changes, so major differences.

Latest Threads