What if Patty Smyth had Joined Van Halen?

Blues4U

Reaction score
I always liked her music. She had a great rock and roll voice. She rarely gets any love these days, but she was a legit rock/pop rock singer back in the day.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was a rock singer was broader back then, and Sammy was doing some pretty poppy rock back then. The musical distance between Patty and Sammy may not have been that wide at that time.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
John McEnroe is a member here I think. :hmm:

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
whew I had the hots for her back in the days...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KF7R-0nwg[/ame]

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc[/ame]

We recently added this one to our setlist and it goes over VERY well. People love this song... especially the ladies, who enjoy singing along. Go figure :naughty:

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Patti Smith, Patty Smyth, The Prentenders, etc. weren't good. They were dreary boring radio fodder.

That I fully disagree with, I think if Ms Smyth had joined it would have ended the band, but not because she was a female, but because she wasn't Sammy. VH has almost always been a train wreck waiting to happen, which may be why the original six albums were so good. When DLR left the band didn't need a new lead singer they needed a dad, someone to kick their asses and give structure. Sammy did that and probably saved the band, I don't think Patty would have or many other lead singers could have either.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
VH became pointless when DLR exited. They were done by then, anyway. Continuing on with SH was comical, at best. Beyond that... they were just riding the "gravy train".

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
VH became pointless when DLR exited. They were done by then, anyway. Continuing on with SH was comical, at best. Beyond that... they were just riding the "gravy train".

I agree but nothing wrong with making money, which they did with Sammy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Mr. Hagar in VH.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Epic fail...wait, is that still a thing?:hmm:

Seriously, though. As much as I like her (definitely had the hots for her back in the day), I don't think she would have been a good fit, IMHO.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
The Warrior solo is cool.

That is all.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Its ok..never did care fir that Eddie Van Heflin guy anyway.

Latest Threads