What has happened to The Used Guitar Market Pricing?

MSB

Reaction score
If used is 20% off new it ain't happening.

so 20% over new for used is bad? :laugh2:

I keep seeing a DC tribute near me for 799 for the last, forever. I'm tempted to email him the link for 599 at MF, but I don't care enough.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The market has been hot. The little shop I frequent, a business that relied on their live sound division to keep afloat, has never been busier on the retail side. For the first time, it's the part keeping the business afloat. I've also heard techs and luthiers have never been busier.

timmytVA

Reaction score
My observations, as one who has been Les Paul shopping all summer - inventory is down at most places. Look at Music Zoo, CME, Wildwood - most are pretty light on non Custom Shop, USA Les Pauls. That may be driving folks to the used market. Meanwhile, the economy might have people trying to liquidate some of their collection to raise cash.

So ...

... Inventory Seems high on the used market BUT also up in price. Seems odd, right? I suspect it's a follow-the-herd mentality. People look at what other similar guitars are listed for and price theirs similarly. But many of them are sitting for a long time. There are guitars on Reverb that I've been watching most of the summer. Can only mean one thing - they're overpriced.

Tim

pillbug

Reaction score
The market has been hot. The little shop I frequent, a business that relied on their live sound division to keep afloat, has never been busier on the retail side. For the first time, it's the part keeping the business afloat. I've also heard techs and luthiers have never been busier.
It’s the same around here too.

moreles

Reaction score
The OP comes up all the time, and the responses are the same. Thart's how it is -- a stagnant market with fewer buyers while most sellers are looking for top dollar -- collector's prices or "my guitar's special" values, which people are too smart to pay. When the real selloff happens -- that is, when sellers age even more, or when COVID-19 fallout really leaves people needing money now -- the need to move items will hit, and that's when prices will get real. I really get a little peeved at the overpriced vanity postings.

parts

Reaction score
I had a 1969 one owner excellent Gibson Dove..listed for $3500.. I had a "gentleman" offer $1500 telling me he was helping me out..!
Since i told him..No Get real..

He sent me
"I hope you die with it and go bankrupt"

Great buyer,,:)

karaterick

Reaction score
This drives me crazy too. Especially when an item was listed months ago and the seller hasn’t figured out that if it was prices right it would have sold by now.
It should be a buyers market but for the most part it’s not.
FWIW what gets me the most is the price of older USA and MIJ Charvels and Jackson’s. I was buying and selling USA Jackson Soloist models for around $1200 just four or five years ago now suddenly they are all over $2,000. Same with the older MIJ models that when they were new were entry level guitars. They were good entry level guitars but they were the lower tier from Jackson. Now they all somehow worth over $1,000. I just don’t get it.

PGguy

Reaction score
Have not posted in a while but thought I would come back to the community and ask if we have any opinions on why sellers on other sites such as Reverb etc have gone Crazy with the Used Guitar prices they are asking currently in these crazy times.

A lot of used products are advertised for more than Gibson new models currently available such as Standards and Classics etc.

I am not talking about historic or similar but what you would consider standard fare Gibson models.

Some are even advertising some Epiphone Les Paul's double of what they were new.?

Do people think supply and demand is tight or is it just a delusional sellers market living in some bubble because I do not know why i would purchase a 2016 classic for more $$$ than a brand new 2019 Classic under new ownership which is cheaper and I would boldly suggest better finished generally.
Money laundering also found on ebay and amazon, overpriced values

PGguy

Reaction score
I had a 1969 one owner excellent Gibson Dove..listed for $3500.. I had a "gentleman" offer $1500 telling me he was helping me out..!
Since i told him..No Get real..

He sent me
"I hope you die with it and go bankrupt"

Great buyer,,:)
There are some lowballers trying to take advantage of the current Covid situation, no need of that comment by him.

jwalker99

Reaction score
Ah that actually makes a lot of sense, I went into a local cycle shop on Friday, no bikes on display, like none, nada, zero. Used bike are selling for way more than the norm now I think of it. Strange days. 'Sales engineer'? lol.
Agreed. My local mom and pop guitar store said they tired to order new Fender guitars and were told there is a backlog until dec 2020. So it’s either that Covid closed the factory, shipping issues, etc. but that’s why used guitar prices are up.

WP Blues

Reaction score
Where? 2020 Les Paul Standard 50s and 60s are $2499 every where, both online and B&M. You think the "sales engineer" at Sweetwater or the local Guitar Center will knock 20% off that price?

Tim
My playing partner has bought thousands of dollars worth of gear from Sweetwater over the last few years and is looking at Les Paul Standards. His Sweetwater sales engineer gave him a price of $1995 instead of the $2499 last week. Maybe not everyone would be offered that deal, but he definitely was offered it.

Sear

Reaction score
I only find absurdly high prices on Reverb. I don't know the reason, but it seems that everything is overpriced on that site.

TrackerDan

Reaction score
This. On my Reverb site, I even explicitly state how you can buy from me without paying sales tax. If I am shopping there and dealing with a dealer, as opposed to a private seller, I always contact them directly to get a much better price without fees, no sales tax, etc. There are many ways to get around the fees and added costs.
This is all true.

Hydra19

Reaction score
I regularly find used guitars just a bit more expensive then they are new, especially with rare guitars, but not out of production. There is a seller here in the UK, who regularly sends low ball offers for used guitars and then sells them in his online shop for a lot more. Just recently I was offered £800 for an 80's USA Jackson, but he lists those at over 3 times that price

THAWK819

Reaction score
The exact opposite is happening with luxury items like watches. Second hand market prices on Omega and Breitling are lower than I've seen in a long time. I think what we're seeing on items like guitars is a bit of "cure for boredom" premium pricing vs. more vanity type items. Where would I wear that fancy watch to? I get collectors aren't worried about wearing them out, but many people buy their first luxury watch for that exact reason, so they seem to be some of the first luxury items to go when someone needs to raise funds.

I've wanted an Omega Seamaster for the longest time but feel totally unmotivated to take advantage of this buyer's market. I have however, purchased two guitars since COVID hit the US... cure for boredom.

Scott Lee

Reaction score
My experience has been quick sales if priced right, and "priced right" seems to be a small percentage under average sales price. I am clearing out some guitar stuff (guitars and amps) after completing some studio work that needed a wide range of equipment (working with another guitarist) and have found myself in a sweeter sellers spot than a year ago when I tried to sell a couple things that we ended up not needing. It seems that potential buyers look at average sales price, and if what you are selling is in above average condition it goes quick. There are a bunch of low-ballers out there looking to flip, but whats new with that..

cherrick

Reaction score
Have not posted in a while but thought I would come back to the community and ask if we have any opinions on why sellers on other sites such as Reverb etc have gone Crazy with the Used Guitar prices they are asking currently in these crazy times.

A lot of used products are advertised for more than Gibson new models currently available such as Standards and Classics etc.

I am not talking about historic or similar but what you would consider standard fare Gibson models.

Some are even advertising some Epiphone Les Paul's double of what they were new.?

Do people think supply and demand is tight or is it just a delusional sellers market living in some bubble because I do not know why i would purchase a 2016 classic for more $$$ than a brand new 2019 Classic under new ownership which is cheaper and I would boldly suggest better finished generally.
Yes, Supply is tight. Covid virus shut down several factories, so used gear now fills a higher percentage of the supply.

Choices are (1) suck it up and buy or (2) try to artificially decrease demand by not buying.

Latest Threads