What has happened to Taylor?

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Honestly, I've had my eye on a 000-28, and plan to try a few when the stores open up.

Haven't played one yet, but looks like what I may like.

But I'll try the 000-18's as well.
Many prefer the mahogany over the rosewood. Surely worth trying both.

Have fun shopping!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
The action/relief angle on any Taylor acoustic can be easily adjusted by any authorized Taylor tech, who will have the proper shims to adjust the relief angle. Since all Taylors have bolt-on necks it's a pretty easy fix, they are precision machined, and the action is set at the factory using shims since all Taylor's have precision bolt on necks. Because of this, you can have the relief angle set to your tastes. They have 2 shims, one underneath the heel, and the other is underneath the fretboard, they can easily adjust the relief angle that way. A big advantage of not having a set neck is no messing with the saddle!
Isn't the neck angle for compensating for changing geometry over time?

Even with a Fender bolt on, you still adjust for string height at the bridge and neck relief through the truss rod. You also have the ability to shim a Fender if needed.

drmmrr55

Reaction score
Isn't the neck angle for compensating for changing geometry over time?

Even with a Fender bolt on, you still adjust for string height at the bridge and neck relief through the truss rod. You also have the ability to shim a Fender if needed.
You can also change the neck angle to taste, some like a higher action, some lower. There are numbers on both shims, and what the numbers total up to, determines the relief angle. From the factory, they are usually set for a pretty low action, that's why almost all Taylor's, play so easily right off the rack. They are also used to compensate for "belly bulge", etc. The tech can, just by changing the total of the numbers on the 2 shims, to set it to any players preference, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to do, and there's no messing with the saddle at all. The shims are proprietary to where they go, the fingerboard shim has one hole, (1 bolt), and the neck heel shim has 2 holes, (2 bolts) these shims are very precise.

Fender shims go only on the neck heel where it sits in the neck pocket of the body, Taylor is a 2 shim system. Definitely not "old school", but it is a pretty nifty system!

Last edited:

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info.

The new owner can shim to his liking! :thumb:

Rhust

Reaction score
I'll say this. on martin the D-28 I played had almost too much low-ent on it... boomy voice... but the D18 was perfectly balanced...

on the taylor I bought, I had to go with rosewood to get enough low end... in the end the shop had the 717 builder's edition in stock, and didn't have the d18e in stock, and I didn't want to wait... and I got the 717 for a screaming deal.

taylor may not be everyone's cup o tea, but I love mine.

Attachments

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
My answer... Nothing. Just received my new 314 ce and it is great.

solidwalnut

Reaction score
I must say I'm shocked that you had such a lousy experience with Taylor. I guess it's bound to happen, and I'm glad you got what you needed for your preferences.

Me, I bought a '99 714ce, Cedar top and Indian Rosewood back and sides, back in '99. This was before they started the bolt on necks. Been in love with it over the years, mainly because it's a great fingerstyle guitar. But I've also had comments from engineers it's their most favorite recording guitar.

But, I do alot of live and the Cedar top is easily overdriven. I wanted a louder guitar and picked up a K26ce, all koa. Talk about a controlled explosion! But again, I like fingerstyle and my playing style is light. So I place hybrid light/med strings on it. Just love it.

Latest Threads