What has happened to Taylor?

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like changing horse midstream: was there something you heard on radio that initiated this string of purchases?

If so what was it? A 125 is even more thin sounding isn't it?
Radio? Really?

Can't see what's so thin sounding about this.

Oh and BTW, I can change my mind and buy any type of guitar I wish, without listening to the radio.

840081.14.jpg

Zog

Reaction score
What was accomplished here? Im trying to understand how you start with acoustic and end with something really different

Red_Label

Reaction score
I've owned Gibson, Guild, Martin, and Breedlove (14 of the latter). I have owned no Taylors. And it wasn't because I hadn't played any or couldn't afford them. You have to spend $1K more on a Taylor than a comparable Breedlove, and the Breedlove will still have better mids and lows. Just my extensively experienced opinion. To each their own.

no jimmy p

Reaction score
I bought my first Taylor Acoustic, a 710, new in 1995. Loved it and still do. It has aged nicely and still can get a little chimmy, but has a really nice neck and plays so nice.

So last month I decided to buy a new 714CE. Been gassing for one for a long time, and wanted to try the new V class bracing, as Taylor promotes it like it's the perfect bracing for acoustics.

Was playing a beautiful 714, but must say I'm not a fan of the wooden pick guards. It sounded kind of muted and dull unless you really hit it hard. So the sales guy put new strings on it, which helped. I bought it. When I get home and play in my music room, again it just sounded muted. I kept looking in the sound hole to see if someone left a rag in it. My cheap Fender acoustic blew this thing away.

So two days later I take it back. Can't deal with it. I know this shop well and it's where I got the 710, and it's a mom and pop shop, so I don't want to just return it, so I start looking at the 814CE they had.

The 814 sounded like it should, and as I'm getting settled in and checking it out, they announce the store is closing soon and for at least a month due to Covid. Well it sounded better, so I paid 450 more and took the 814 home.

Get home, and continue checking out the 814, and I should have noticed in the store, but the action measured with my string height tool at the 12 fret was 8/64's. 1/8" if your prefer. My 710 sits at 6/64's which is perfect. The neck on the 814 was already flat, which means it'll need some saddle massaging when the shops open back up and I submit a warranty claim to Taylor. Not what I expect from a 3500 dollar guitar.

Then, two days after I bring the 814 home, I get an email from Taylor that If I buy a 300 series Taylor or better, you can get a Taylor GS mini for 99 bucks, Normally right around 500 bucks. I replied to that and said thanks, but I bought my 814 two days before the email, but it would have been nice to hit that deal.

Well a few days later I get a reply from Taylor that said, good news! Your request has been forwarded for review! I'm thinking ok, maybe there is a silver lining here to this mess. The a day later I get another email from Taylor. It said Yep! The 99 dollar Taylor offer is a great offer! But you don't qualify. Be safe. Hmm Ok. I really wasn't expecting to get the offer from the beginning, and even told of the 714 saga, but first they get my hopes up, then send a dear john letter.

So I think about that for a day or so, and them I write a letter to their customer service and outline the whole story, and state that I'm going to sell the 814, and that I just don't seem to be a match for their guitars any longer. The reply I got to that from their C/S Mgr. was, I won't make any excuses. Take care.

Hmmm. OK. I sold the 814 on Craigslist 2 days later, and I'm personally done with Taylor.

Not trying to bust their balls, and maybe I just got two bad Taylor's in a row. And maybe the C/S Rep and Mgr were having a bad week. Who knows.

But on the bright side, I took the Taylor funds, and bought a Dr. Z Z plus amp, and I've got my eye on a 1959 Gibson ES 125, and both together will be a direct replacement for the Taylor, cash wise.

I wish Taylor well in the future, it'll just be without me.

This is one of those things you just have to get off your chest.

Cheers!
Sorry for your bad experience , but I'm thinking you'll be much happier with the Dr.Z and the Gibson ES ....

I'm another that has never been on the Taylor bandwagon . To me , they have no soul , sound 'tinny' and thin . Every 814 sounds like every other 814 , the same with the 714 , all down the line . There is something to be said for consistency , but not to the extent that the product loses its uniqueness and character . I'm just sayin' ....

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was accomplished here? Im trying to understand how you start with acoustic and end with something really different

You must think I was after my one and only guitar, and flipped midstream for something else.

I've got lots of nice guitars hanging on the wall next to me, and I bought the 714/814 just because.

Didn't like it and sold it. I do that several times a year and keep the good ones, and sell the others.

I play a lot of different music, and have different guitars to meet those needs.

I hope this helps with your understanding, and welcome to the forum.

Jead

Reaction score
I have a '99 cedar top 710ce and it sounds and plays great. The electronics are pretty good too. I bought a 12 string 150e before they bumped up the price and that is a whole bunch of guitar for the money - It is bright - which I want in a 12 string and the Taylor neck on a 12 string IMO is super - very easy to play. I am not a huge fan of the generally bright characteristics of Taylor 6 strings but the cedar top on my 710 solves that beautifully.

As for Customer Service and factory setup, I'd venture to say that as Taylor has become a much larger outfit over the years, those departments are forced to compromise somewhat. Realistically, it's hard for me justify the boutique prices that Martin and Taylor (and other makers) charge these days. Certainly a little research will find anyone more bang for the buck out there. For the OP it almost seems as if the 714 may have had a loose brace - which absolutely shouldn't happen.... The action on the 800 series wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it sounded and played up to my standards - as someone else pointed out that's a fairly easy adjustment that any good shop would do for you before taking it out the door. The "whatever" attitude of the Customer Service is completely unacceptable though.

77 Les Paul

Reaction score
I own 2 Taylors; A 25th Anniversary 710 BCE (that's a monster IMO) and a GS Mini (that replaced a Baby Taylor) I got when they first came out several years back that works great for practice/ vacation travel / teaching my kids how to play guitar. But my 25th was made in '99 (IIRC) and has Brazilian Rosewood Back & Sides, Engleman Spruce top, Mahogany Neck and Rosewood overlay on the Headstock and Abalone Inlays (and Fishman Blender). It's aged wonderfully over the years, so frankly, any other Taylor I've tried just doesn't match its vibe.

Now the new "X-bracing" Andy Powers created sounds interesting, (I've demoed a few of the 500, 800,900 and Presentation series Taylor's at NAMM back in Januaray) but I suppose my ears are just too used to hearing that unique tone of my 710 with that particualr wood combination. They have always had really great Customer Service.....but I think what they are putting out now compared to 20+ years ago is just not as nice. If I ever decide to get another guitar, I'm either going for a D-28 Martin or D Series Santa Cruz (though it won't have upgrades as the upcharge for Brazilian Back and Sides start at $10,000....LOL)

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new bracing is V bracing, and it's not getting the reviews Taylor expected from posts on the acoustic forums.

I still have and love my 1995 710 I bought new.

Like yours, it has aged nicely, and the new ones didn't sound nearly as nice.

IceGator8

Reaction score
Taylor guitars definitely have a sound. However, it's a great sound for recording and live use. I have a 414 30th Anniversary that is thee best acoustic I've ever owned. Its sound gets better as it ages. Taylor makes excellent guitars that are consistent. They have the manufacturing process nailed and the quality coming out of the factory is right up there with PRS.

I've found Martin to be far less consistent in QC.

I also enjoy Larrivee and Breedlove.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Bolt on necks are fine for Electric Guitars, but have no business on an Acoustic. The whole pretext is an oxymoron. Would you own a bolt on neck Cello, Violin, upright bass?

This 1964 Gibson B 20 "Student" model of mine sounds better than any Taylor I have ever tried regardless of price.

Gibson B 20 1964.jpg

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I bought my first Taylor Acoustic, a 710, new in 1995. Loved it and still do. It has aged nicely and still can get a little chimmy, but has a really nice neck and plays so nice.

So last month I decided to buy a new 714CE. Been gassing for one for a long time, and wanted to try the new V class bracing, as Taylor promotes it like it's the perfect bracing for acoustics.

Was playing a beautiful 714, but must say I'm not a fan of the wooden pick guards. It sounded kind of muted and dull unless you really hit it hard. So the sales guy put new strings on it, which helped. I bought it. When I get home and play in my music room, again it just sounded muted. I kept looking in the sound hole to see if someone left a rag in it. My cheap Fender acoustic blew this thing away.

So two days later I take it back. Can't deal with it. I know this shop well and it's where I got the 710, and it's a mom and pop shop, so I don't want to just return it, so I start looking at the 814CE they had.

The 814 sounded like it should, and as I'm getting settled in and checking it out, they announce the store is closing soon and for at least a month due to Covid. Well it sounded better, so I paid 450 more and took the 814 home.

Get home, and continue checking out the 814, and I should have noticed in the store, but the action measured with my string height tool at the 12 fret was 8/64's. 1/8" if your prefer. My 710 sits at 6/64's which is perfect. The neck on the 814 was already flat, which means it'll need some saddle massaging when the shops open back up and I submit a warranty claim to Taylor. Not what I expect from a 3500 dollar guitar.

Then, two days after I bring the 814 home, I get an email from Taylor that If I buy a 300 series Taylor or better, you can get a Taylor GS mini for 99 bucks, Normally right around 500 bucks. I replied to that and said thanks, but I bought my 814 two days before the email, but it would have been nice to hit that deal.

Well a few days later I get a reply from Taylor that said, good news! Your request has been forwarded for review! I'm thinking ok, maybe there is a silver lining here to this mess. The a day later I get another email from Taylor. It said Yep! The 99 dollar Taylor offer is a great offer! But you don't qualify. Be safe. Hmm Ok. I really wasn't expecting to get the offer from the beginning, and even told of the 714 saga, but first they get my hopes up, then send a dear john letter.

So I think about that for a day or so, and them I write a letter to their customer service and outline the whole story, and state that I'm going to sell the 814, and that I just don't seem to be a match for their guitars any longer. The reply I got to that from their C/S Mgr. was, I won't make any excuses. Take care.

Hmmm. OK. I sold the 814 on Craigslist 2 days later, and I'm personally done with Taylor.

Not trying to bust their balls, and maybe I just got two bad Taylor's in a row. And maybe the C/S Rep and Mgr were having a bad week. Who knows.

But on the bright side, I took the Taylor funds, and bought a Dr. Z Z plus amp, and I've got my eye on a 1959 Gibson ES 125, and both together will be a direct replacement for the Taylor, cash wise.

Cheers!
Every so often, even a great builder like Taylor lets one go that is less than perfect. Some may never notice and be happy. Others may hear or feel things that do not jibe with them. :dunno:

Taylor makes the most player and tech friendly necks out there. Their bolt on design is genius. No invasive neck resets.

From my perspective there is nothing but Martin. 187 years of continuous family owned history. They invented the X-brace and Dreadnought. Many are made in Nazareth, PA since the late 1850s. Been to the nearby to me factory four times.

I'm proud to own two bought new Nazareth 28 series.

I am a total
MartinSlut.gif

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Beautiful!

:thumb: :thumb:
Thanks!

I do need to point out I replaced the boring black pickguard on the 12 string with something far more appealing.

I also replaced the black dot plastic bridge pins with faux tortoise dot bone pins.

Oh, and added gold tuners which is a preference of mine.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

Have fun in your quest for the next "one". An 18 or 28 series Martin should be considered.

Honestly, I've had my eye on a 000-28, and plan to try a few when the stores open up.

Haven't played one yet, but looks like what I may like.

But I'll try the 000-18's as well.

drmmrr55

Reaction score

Cheers!
The action/relief angle on any Taylor acoustic can be easily adjusted by any authorized Taylor tech, who will have the proper shims to adjust the relief angle. Since all Taylors have bolt-on necks it's a pretty easy fix, they are precision machined, and the action is set at the factory using shims since all Taylor's have precision bolt on necks. Because of this, you can have the relief angle set to your tastes. They have 2 shims, one underneath the heel, and the other is underneath the fretboard, they can easily adjust the relief angle that way. A big advantage of not having a set neck is no messing with the saddle!

Last edited:

100thdeuce

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you ended up in the wrong section of the acoustic room, Should have began and ended your quest where the Martins start and finsih!

Lol, on a serious note maybe you just got dud or have been unlucky? the few taylors ive played recently at GC were nice on the ear?

MAybe it needed new strings?

I member a saying an old Cat that went by River would say around here, "if you think your guitar/ sound isnt right/good its time to change the strings"!

it was something to that affect but always rang true.

Good luck in your search!
I agree with the new string thing, but would add that they need to be the 'right' new strings. I had a Larrivee DV09 in Koa that I bought used after a multi-year search. When it was time for some new strings I went with my old reliable Elixer Nano's.

Everything changed. The tone went dead compared to how it sounded with the old strings. I tried several other string sets that had served me well before, but none could bring back the fullness of tone to my DV09. I finally hit on a set of Martins that did the trick. I've never known a guitar to be so string dependent, but this one was.

It seems my Taylor 714CE exotic in heartwood Sassafras is the same way. I first replaced it's strings with some Gibson bronze wound lights and it got very pitchy and tinny. Went with the same Elixer Nano phosphor bronze medium/light that killed my Larrivee (I had bought a 3-pack and so thought I'd at least try them) and all of the original tone came back to the Taylor. Hmmm.

I've had voicing discussions with Ervin Somogyi in his shop in Berkley and it seems guitars built with thinner shaved woods and lightweight scalloped bracing are way more susceptible to nuances in things like strings, bridge mass, pickguard mass, etc. Having heard the differences so pronounced in these two lightweight builds, I'm a believer. So when I finally got my Keystone (a very light luthier voiced handbuilt) I made a point to ask Keiske (the luthier) what strings he builds his guitars to use. He was very specific about Martin phosphor bronze Lifespan 2.0's in medium-light and agreed it can make all the difference in the world. This Keystone blows away anything I've ever owned or heard. I'm tempted to buy a case of the Lifespan 2.0's and vacuum seal them so I'll have enough to last me until I die...I'd hate for them to go out of production and I'd have to somehow find a new set that is as good a match for this guitar!!!!

My '55 Gibson J160e and '01 Martin HD28 are big strong guitars and don't seem to care what strings I put on them as along as they are of decent quality and not too light. But for some of the builders who lean toward lighter more resonant structure...it's not just new strings, or quality name brand strings, it's the right new strings.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I put a new set of Elixer Nanos on it.

Was still flat and dead.

Latest Threads