What has happened to Taylor?

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Hey, what does everyone think of the Baby Taylor (TSBT), 3/4 size Dreadnought, and personal favorite of Taylor Swift? Thinking about ordering one for my niece as a Christmas gift. Seems to have a long lead time for delivery.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, what does everyone think of the Baby Taylor (TSBT), 3/4 size Dreadnought, and personal favorite of Taylor Swift? Thinking about ordering one for my niece as a Christmas gift. Seems to have a long lead time for delivery.

get the gs mini, much much better

GeeJay

Reaction score
I've had a 414ce since 2015 and love it. Not needed to do anything to it other than new strings now and again.

Disappointing response from Taylor to the OP, not what I would have expected from them at all. Given the same, I would be equally unhappy.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I'm not a Fanboi of Taylor guitars,but I still own one.

I've owned an '05 Taylor 414-CE Fall Limited, '07 315-CE, 11 GS Mini, and a 210E.

They were all decent ,not not inspiring sounding guitars, so they're all gone.

I do still own my '03 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom I picked up at a pawnshop a few years ago for $270.

It's a good sounding acoustic, but doesn't blow me away tonally.

I'm keeping it because I'll NEVER EVER find Custom ordered Taylor for $270 ever again in my lifetime.

15340430973_f0d5e5b450_b.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
I've never really been a big fan of Taylor. I've never owned owned one, but one of my BFF's manages a small shop. He carries both Martin and Taylor, knows Bob Taylor etc... I've always been a Martin man and he tried to sell me on Taylor but to me they were inferior.....and their electronics were always an issue. Good luck with the new direction! Dr Z makes some killer amps. ! :cheers2:

I've had an 814ce for about 8 years now, and it's been stellar. I've also got a '67 D35 Martin, had that for maybe 7 years, and it's very good as well. The Martin's well-built, big and boomy, the 814ce is (obviously) newer, has a very balanced tone, and the electronics are fine.

radiomatts

Reaction score
I don’t mean to launch a grenade in the room, but have you guys seen the YouTube channel, “Dave’s World of Fun Stuff”? He’s in Toronto and all of his videos are of him repairing everything. He’s pretty funny and outspoken at times and has a huge following. On one of his videos, he is working on a Taylor and admittedly, the problems it had I thought was ridiculous for a guitar as expensive as a Taylor. What he said next floored me. He said that there were Taylor acoustics with bolt on necks and that Taylor goes to great lengths to hide that fact because you have to get in the sound hole to get to the bolts.

While this guy is really very opinionated while being funny, I find most of his opinions on guitar quality are spot on. The OP’s post makes me wonder if the whole bolt on neck thing is true.

tokairic

Reaction score
I bought my first Taylor Acoustic, a 710, new in 1995. Loved it and still do. It has aged nicely and still can get a little chimmy, but has a really nice neck and plays so nice.

So last month I decided to buy a new 714CE. Been gassing for one for a long time, and wanted to try the new V class bracing, as Taylor promotes it like it's the perfect bracing for acoustics.

Was playing a beautiful 714, but must say I'm not a fan of the wooden pick guards. It sounded kind of muted and dull unless you really hit it hard. So the sales guy put new strings on it, which helped. I bought it. When I get home and play in my music room, again it just sounded muted. I kept looking in the sound hole to see if someone left a rag in it. My cheap Fender acoustic blew this thing away.

So two days later I take it back. Can't deal with it. I know this shop well and it's where I got the 710, and it's a mom and pop shop, so I don't want to just return it, so I start looking at the 814CE they had.

The 814 sounded like it should, and as I'm getting settled in and checking it out, they announce the store is closing soon and for at least a month due to Covid. Well it sounded better, so I paid 450 more and took the 814 home.

Get home, and continue checking out the 814, and I should have noticed in the store, but the action measured with my string height tool at the 12 fret was 8/64's. 1/8" if your prefer. My 710 sits at 6/64's which is perfect. The neck on the 814 was already flat, which means it'll need some saddle massaging when the shops open back up and I submit a warranty claim to Taylor. Not what I expect from a 3500 dollar guitar.

Then, two days after I bring the 814 home, I get an email from Taylor that If I buy a 300 series Taylor or better, you can get a Taylor GS mini for 99 bucks, Normally right around 500 bucks. I replied to that and said thanks, but I bought my 814 two days before the email, but it would have been nice to hit that deal.

Well a few days later I get a reply from Taylor that said, good news! Your request has been forwarded for review! I'm thinking ok, maybe there is a silver lining here to this mess. The a day later I get another email from Taylor. It said Yep! The 99 dollar Taylor offer is a great offer! But you don't qualify. Be safe. Hmm Ok. I really wasn't expecting to get the offer from the beginning, and even told of the 714 saga, but first they get my hopes up, then send a dear john letter.

So I think about that for a day or so, and them I write a letter to their customer service and outline the whole story, and state that I'm going to sell the 814, and that I just don't seem to be a match for their guitars any longer. The reply I got to that from their C/S Mgr. was, I won't make any excuses. Take care.

Hmmm. OK. I sold the 814 on Craigslist 2 days later, and I'm personally done with Taylor.

Not trying to bust their balls, and maybe I just got two bad Taylor's in a row. And maybe the C/S Rep and Mgr were having a bad week. Who knows.

But on the bright side, I took the Taylor funds, and bought a Dr. Z Z plus amp, and I've got my eye on a 1959 Gibson ES 125, and both together will be a direct replacement for the Taylor, cash wise.

I wish Taylor well in the future, it'll just be without me.

This is one of those things you just have to get off your chest.

Cheers!
Seems to me that you should never have bought the 714. At Taylor prices if you have any doubt at all that it may not be for you, simply put it back on the shelf.
I do play Taylor and I have a 514ce Fall Ltd which plays and sounds perfect, and I have played the 717e in store and found it fine but I must say I don't 'get' the V bracing - possibly Andy Powers putting his stamp on the brand ready to take the reins.
I really can't believe that you sold the 814 just over 1/32" adjustment on the string height, blamed Taylor's QC and would take it to a luthier to have it adjusted. That would be a 1/64" off the saddle (about four rubs across flat emery paper on glass), and maybe a slight adjustment, if necessary, at the nut after checking the first fret string clearance. Between 30 and 60 minutes taking your time. I do my own set ups, and it really isn't a big deal. The new Taylor would be set up for the average and wasn't badly set up at all - just not perfect for you.

The only thing I have against Taylor is their 20% price hike a while ago. It stopped me buying a 524ce which I had every intention of collecting on Monday after playing it on the Friday - prices went up over the weekend and no price adjustment considered even though it was the same guitar at the same dealer where I had tried the guitar on the Friday.
Taylor need to forget the stupidity of giving away cheap Taylors to buyers of over priced Taylor guitars and just get back to sensible (for Taylor) prices.

tokairic

Reaction score
I don’t mean to launch a grenade in the room, but have you guys seen the YouTube channel, “Dave’s World of Fun Stuff”? He’s in Toronto and all of his videos are of him repairing everything. He’s pretty funny and outspoken at times and has a huge following. On one of his videos, he is working on a Taylor and admittedly, the problems it had I thought was ridiculous for a guitar as expensive as a Taylor. What he said next floored me. He said that there were Taylor acoustics with bolt on necks and that Taylor goes to great lengths to hide that fact because you have to get in the sound hole to get to the bolts.

While this guy is really very opinionated while being funny, I find most of his opinions on guitar quality are spot on. The OP’s post makes me wonder if the whole bolt on neck thing is true.

I've seen these videos - Dave has no idea what 'fun stuff' is. He is sarcastic, cynical and over critical. His ego is as big as a house. I have stopped watching him as he just irritates the hell out of me. He is only an average repairer too.

oldgofaster

Reaction score
I went to Gc to buy an acoustic with $3k and played everything they had, all Brands.
I ended up most impressed with a Taylor 214CE for $1k. Mahogany back and sides.
It has this warm boomy sound that makes me very happy. It fills our church and is balanced.
Not a fan of the scalloped neck joints or laminate on the headstock, but people who hear it and play it agree...it's amazing.
I have an Ovation USA Balladeer and a 20 yo Gibson J45.....the 214 sounds better.
You just never know.

gfroman

Reaction score
I have a Koa Fall Limited.
Best acoustic I ever played and will keep for life - Just incredible tone and quality!

Attachments

• TaylorKOA.jpg
    TaylorKOA.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13

zamdrang

Reaction score
I don't think anything has changed.. Lol. That sounds like my experience with the 314ce I bought in 98. I was more impressionable and the store I frequented had me convinced they were the greatest acoustic guitar ever made so I bought one. I took it to a family reunion and it was firmly put in it's overhyped place by two other guitars. One an 80s Fender (not sure the model) and the other a $50 pawn shop laminated top Bentley. The Bentley in particular really stood out. Compared to these two modest guitars the Taylor sound exactly as you described, muffled and dull I've played some other Taylor's over the years just to see if I was missing something...but have yet to play one that speaks to me or warrants the price and hype. Just my experience with them.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've been lucky - the '99 GA-KC koa cedar I bought new is the one guitar I'd never sell.
I just bought an 858e 12 string that, to my ears anyway, sounded better than the Guild and Martin I compared it to. Granted, the Guild was a 1512, not the 512, so there was about 1K price difference. The Martin sounded fantastic, but the Taylor had better definition, and an easier neck

integra evan

Reaction score
My 2010 314CE is spectacular, very well balanced with easy playability - I did let the acoustic "choose me" when I was shopping new at the time.

He said that there were Taylor acoustics with bolt on necks and that Taylor goes to great lengths to hide that fact because you have to get in the sound hole to get to the bolts.

The bolt on necks weren't a secret at all. In fact, Taylor even mentions they use bolt-on necks to make a neck reset easier should your guitar need one.

Zog

Reaction score
There are several factory tour videos online detailing the creation of the joint assembly and installation, but it is true. Even having taken the factory tour, there are more interesting things going on than how a bolton neck is installed.

But does it seem odd one turns to an es175 after turning down 2 acoustics?

If I couldn't find a decent used 80's Guild, the first thing I would be sampling is a new Taylor.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that you should never have bought the 714. At Taylor prices if you have any doubt at all that it may not be for you, simply put it back on the shelf.
I do play Taylor and I have a 514ce Fall Ltd which plays and sounds perfect, and I have played the 717e in store and found it fine but I must say I don't 'get' the V bracing - possibly Andy Powers putting his stamp on the brand ready to take the reins.
I really can't believe that you sold the 814 just over 1/32" adjustment on the string height, blamed Taylor's QC and would take it to a luthier to have it adjusted. That would be a 1/64" off the saddle (about four rubs across flat emery paper on glass), and maybe a slight adjustment, if necessary, at the nut after checking the first fret string clearance. Between 30 and 60 minutes taking your time. I do my own set ups, and it really isn't a big deal. The new Taylor would be set up for the average and wasn't badly set up at all - just not perfect for you.

The only thing I have against Taylor is their 20% price hike a while ago. It stopped me buying a 524ce which I had every intention of collecting on Monday after playing it on the Friday - prices went up over the weekend and no price adjustment considered even though it was the same guitar at the same dealer where I had tried the guitar on the Friday.
Taylor need to forget the stupidity of giving away cheap Taylors to buyers of over priced Taylor guitars and just get back to sensible (for Taylor) prices.

I sold the 814 because it didn't sound nearly as good as my 710, and I knew I wouldn't play it.

I know exactly what the saddle needed, and could have easily done it during a string change in a couple of minutes. I've been repairing guitars for over 30 years.

Then Taylor sent me an email saying I was being considered for the $99 offer for a GS mini, which I was going to give to my Granddaughter, and then sent a second email saying I didn't qualify because I bought mine 2 days before the offer started.
And then get an email saying they're extending the offer through the end of may.

I've had 4 Taylor's, and every one had problems, and I just decided that I'm done with Taylor.

Believe it or not.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several factory tour videos online detailing the creation of the joint assembly and installation, but it is true. Even having taken the factory tour, there are more interesting things going on than how a bolton neck is installed.

But does it seem odd one turns to an es175 after turning down 2 acoustics?

If I couldn't find a decent used 80's Guild, the first thing I would be sampling is a new Taylor.

That was an ES 125, BTW.

I also have several vintage guitars, and the ES 125 is one that's been on my list for a while, and I can get a nice one for about half the price of an 814.

I have 4 other acoustics, so I can hold off on that itch for a while.

Zog

Reaction score
That was an ES 125, BTW.

I also have several vintage guitars, and the ES 125 is one that's been on my list for a while, and I can get a nice one for about half the price of an 814.

I have 4 other acoustics, so I can hold off on that itch for a while.
It seems like changing horse midstream: was there something you heard on radio that initiated this string of purchases?

If so what was it? A 125 is even more thin sounding isn't it?

Latest Threads