What Happened To This Poor McCready Les Paul?

tubes10s

Reaction score
I spotted this on reverb this afternoon. The description sounds as if the seller doesn't know what he's selling... and after looking at the pictures, either someone has pulled a fast one on him, or he's trying to pull a fast one on a potential buyer by selling this guitar as one of the aged models that Gibson released. I sent a polite message giving him info about the guitar, recommending that he have a talk with whoever sold him that guitar.

The serial number format "MM xxx" was how the VOS non-aged ones were serialized. Plus, the aging does NOT look like the aging on the McCready aged models. Also, the aged McCreadys came with aged cases, and the case in these pics is not aged. Looks to me like someone (poorly) tried to mimic the McCready aging on this guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/11473929-gibson-custom-shop-mike-mccready-sunburst

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Yikes. That is definitely not Custom Shop aging. The back in particular looks awful.

Unbelievable someone would do that.

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
That guitar is worth $2,000 tops and destined for a refin. $9k, lol

tubes10s

Reaction score
Could probably be a great guitar.... if you could get it for $2K or less and send it to HM for repairs! I think it really is a VOS McCready... just not a factory aged one.

I messaged the seller a couple of hours ago, and they still have not responded to my message as of 6PM.

Crotch

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agrees its a MM. These were great guitars. Shame someone was that dumb with it

tubes10s

Reaction score
The seller wrote me back around 8PM eastern time, and just said "thanks, for the info"

At this point, I would say that they are fully aware that they are selling a fraud.

Utmost

Reaction score
Well great. The wife and I have GA tickets to Monday show at Wrigley this August and I was hoping he would pull out the ‘59 but this guitar has ruined that phrase for me.

Crotch

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
It may be he really doesn't have a clue. I'm sure he'll continue to get called on it

judson

Reaction score
i didnt see it, maybe he pulled it , and more than once judging by the ballsack rub..:rofl:

Crotch

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
He probably took it down. I messaged him too yesterday to see if he knew. No reply. Came down shortly after. What a poor mess