What happened to my back?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, I managed to do a fret level and dress on the neighbor's guitar last night. And right now it's raining because it's a holiday of course. So I guess I get today off too to rest the back.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
Get well soon! Back pain SUCKS.

I've had a mixed history with it aswell so know the pain. I suffered from Sciatica 5 or 6 years ago which resulted in severe leg pain when sitting still for more than 15 minutes. That eventually fixed itself on it's own after roughly 4 months.

A couple years later I then threw my back out by sneezing whilst hunched over picking something up off the floor. That fixed itself on it's own aswell, though took a few weeks.

Soon after that, I then injured my back whilst waxing the car, which resulted in constant back pain when breathing. This persisted for weeks, so I went to a sports physiotherapist who quickly diagnosed it as thoracic spine injury. In basic terms, where my rib joins to my spine had ceased up entirely, and not moving like it should when breathing. The physio carried out a pressure massage to manipulate it, in order to free it up. That fixed it pretty much instantly.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Muscle relaxers. Advil/Extra Strength Tylenol cocktail.

Learn some sciatica stretches.

I hope you feel better.

It is best to treat this asap. Any numbness in your shin/lower leg, or dropped foot (can't raise you foot from flat on the floor) can become permanent if not treated immediately. Ruined my wah-wah game. It is not worth it.

Last edited:

Sharky

Reaction score
I ly on my belly
♦
diagnosed it as thoracic spine injury. In basic terms, where my rib joins to my spine had ceased up entirely, and not moving like it should when breathing
I know what you're talking about, unfortunately. I was in southern Spain the other day when it happened to me. At night it felt as if somebody stabbed me with a knife. Immediately got a fever, breathing was so painful. Got to see a british Dr. Physiotherapist in Gibraltar who slammed everything back in place with his palm or fist or whatever, didn't care. I bet the crack could be heard over in Morocco. Immediate relief. I gladly paid him in cash. Never had that kind of pain before and will hopefully never have it again. But this very spot is fragile, I can feel it snapping in every once in a while but before seriously blocked, I am able to manipulate it out myself

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about, unfortunately. I was in southern Spain the other day when it happened to me. At night it felt as if somebody stabbed me with a knife. Immediately got a fever, breathing was so painful. Got to see a british Dr. Physiotherapist in Gibraltar who slammed everything back in place with his palm or fist or whatever, didn't care. I bet the crack could be heard over in Morocco. Immediate relief. I gladly paid him in cash. Never had that kind of pain before and will hopefully never have it again. But this very spot is fragile, I can feel it snapping in every once in a while but before seriously blocked, I am able to manipulate it out myself
That's exactly it! The pain didn't manifest itself instantly either, it was the following day it presented itself. After he located the vertibrae/rib in question, I was instructed to brace myself. Blimey. That pop and crack. I've never gone from such extreme pain to extreme relief of pain so quick. He had to do it a couple times aswell.

He also said to take note of where he was pressing, and that if any pain comes back again, to get a golfball (or equally solid round object), put it in a sock, hang it over my shoulder and press my back up against a wall with the golfball massaging/pressing onto the area where he explained. I've not had to resort to that technique (thankfully) as the pain has never returned, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Brek

Reaction score
I strained my back a week gone friday. tried to keep mobile as that is supposed to help. over the counter aint touching it, might have to see the doc as still in agony.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I hurt my back years ago in a surfing injury, basically because I chickened out of shooting a pier while I was in a square-throwing barrel. Anyway, it was a muscle strain that perpetuated itself over two decades. I went to countless chiropractors, until one of them finally did some sort of scraping with a smooth stone on my back to remove a ton of scar tissue that kept building up, since I never gave it time to heal properly. He scraped one side of my back and said "see how smooth that feels?" Then he scraped the other side (where the pain was) and it was like he was scraping gravel.
I lived with that for so long (and still do, to a much lesser degree), and anything could set it off, although it was almost never immediately. I could sneeze or get out of bed wrong and it would just explode in pain and stay that way for days.
In retrospect, I kinda wish I'd just smashed into the pier, taken a beating and moved on.

Lungo

Reaction score
I had a lower back and hip injury years ago from being rear ended by a drunk driver. Woke up the next morning and couldn’t even put weight on my right foot. I remembered this yoga pose we did every night to warm up to train Brazilian Jui-Jitsu so gave it a shot. 10-15 minutes and I could walk almost normal.

911A5727-FA27-4F12-B204-6F05C7223796.jpeg

Last edited:

Mockbel

Reaction score
Oh that’s bad.. I am living with back pain at exact same place.. increases when I make effort or lift things... sometimes it really makes me unable to move completely... However, I never visited a doctor and I know that is just wrong... muscle relax and anti inflammatory usually make me much better... but I really recommend you visit a doctor

Roxy13

Reaction score
I put together a new TV stand yesterday but it took me 7 hours :(

Latest Threads