What guitar stand is good for Les Pauls?

decoy205

Reaction score
I've heard of some guitar stands that are not suitable for the Nitro finish. Apparently the nitro wears dude to the material it rests on. I've seen plenty of used pauls with those two brown spots on the binding from the stand.

Anyone know of a good quality stand that's sturdy and won't ruin the finish?

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So far, so good with my Hercules hanging guitar stand (for on stage at church each week) and the wall-mounted String Swing hangers (for at home):

Case24

Reaction score
I agree, I have a Hercules stand and no marks from it. Very sturdy too. Rule of thumb, stay away from stands with that rubber that feels like surgical tubing.

decoy205

Reaction score
What about that black foamy type rubber? Does the hercules stand have that on the legs where the back of the guitar rests? How do you like the auto grab yoke for the neck?

Case24

Reaction score
What about that black foamy type rubber? Does the hercules stand have that on the legs where the back of the guitar rests? How do you like the auto grab yoke for the neck?
The foam rubber is good and the guitar back rests on that arm you see sticking out in the picture above. I have a double stand that is the same concept (they also make a tripple stand). And I find the auto grab yoke works great.

johnreardon

Reaction score
If in doubt, do what I have done with my Rockstand. I believe, the foam rubber is afe, however, I have wrapped a sheet around the bottom and put socks on the prongs that hold the LPs

decoy205

Reaction score
cool thanks for the help. What do you guys think of this stand:

Product Picture

for some reason i like that there is something underneath the guitar supporting the weight not just by the neck.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a rockstand that I use a lot. I don't like to leave the guitar leaning on its neck in any particular way for too long, so I rotate them every couple days... its a shame you can only play 1 at a time. :D

Otherwise I only use my A frame stand. The guitar sits, totally safe in a shaped bracket, and the back of the body rests on the top of the A on a foam pad. Nothing touches the neck at all. I've never felt good about hanging Les Pauls by the neck... they are so heavy... there has to be some unwanted forces pulling on the neck, headstock, or neck joint.

johnreardon

Reaction score
cool thanks for the help. What do you guys think of this stand:

Product Picture
Personally, I don't like those type of stands, either for gigs or home use. They are probably fine, however, I think they are a bit unstable and prefer the old fashioned type similar to the one shown below

decoy205

Reaction score
I've never felt good about hanging Les Pauls by the neck... they are so heavy... there has to be some unwanted forces pulling on the neck, headstock, or neck joint.

Yeah I kinda feel the same way. LP's are very heavy and i feel like if its hanging by the neck something bad can happen. I'm just being very overprotective right now since I waited so long to get this guitar. I mean they do hang in the stores all day and night.

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If in doubt, do what I have done with my Rockstand. I believe, the foam rubber is afe, however, I have wrapped a sheet around the bottom and put socks on the prongs that hold the LPs

smart! :applause:

lifele55

Reaction score
Been using the Hercules double stand for awhile now. The auto grab system is cool.

About hanging Lesters by the neck, I'm quite wary of it as well but since I only hang em when I'm taking breaks I won't bother too much. They'll usually end up back in the hardcase when not being played.

HolyGrail

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

John is 100% correct. Listen to him. Cotton is the safest protection
between any surface and Nitro .

You can wrap any foam or rubbers surfaces with old cotton socks.

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...Otherwise I only use my A frame stand. The guitar sits, totally safe in a shaped bracket, and the back of the body rests on the top of the A on a foam pad. Nothing touches the neck at all. I've never felt good about hanging Les Pauls by the neck... they are so heavy... there has to be some unwanted forces pulling on the neck, headstock, or neck joint.

I'm not a fan of the A-frame stands since all the ones I've seen tend to lean the guitar back at a fairly slanted angle, which means you can't have it up close a wall, your amp, etc. I figure the more it is sitting out in the "middle" of things - the more chance of something bumping into it. This is why I prefer stands that keep the guitar in a more vertical position (e.g., the hanging Hercules stand).

As for hanging 'em... I used to worry as well but I've hung some of my Gibsons for several years now with no ill effects. All the guitar stores hang 'em by the neck and I've seen pictures of them hanging in the factory, etc. I think your run a bigger risk of neck problems from either extreme temperature/climate changes and (of course) anything that could allow the guitar to fall over (a sure fire way to snap a headstock).

johnreardon

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the A-frame stands since all the ones I've seen tend to lean the guitar back at a fairly slanted angle, which means you can't have it up close a wall, your amp, etc. I figure the more it is sitting out in the "middle" of things - the more chance of something bumping into it. This is why I prefer stands that keep the guitar in a more vertical position (e.g., the hanging Hercules stand).

I see where you are coming from. I just think the larger Hercules type stands get in the way on gigs and liable to be knocked. Even in a room, those stands seem to dominate things. Perhaps it's me being clumsy. I actually use the Rockstands. I sometimes take a 3 guitar rockstand with me on gigs.

A friend of mine has put some velcro on the side of his cab and leans his bass against the cab and ties the velcro around the neck. I thought it looked a bit wobbly, but it was rock solid.

TxMack

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from. I just think the larger Hercules type stands get in the way on gigs and liable to be knocked. Even in a room, those stands seem to dominate things. Perhaps it's me being clumsy. I actually use the Rockstands. I sometimes take a 3 guitar rockstand with me on gigs.

A friend of mine has put some velcro on the side of his cab and leans his bass against the cab and ties the velcro around the neck. I thought it looked a bit wobbly, but it was rock solid.
Hey...that's a cool idea!

lifele55

Reaction score
You know what I was picturing? A kid/dog running and swipping all those down and OUCH!

Latest Threads