What guitar is this?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Ahh yes, I knew that I'd seen one before but couldn't place the name. I'll do a little more research, thanks Fezz!

Norton

Reaction score
Kickass? Blingy...for sure.

The nighthawk has always been an over cooked guitar to me.

Bind the neck. Give me blocks or trapezoid inlays. No diamonds or clouds or crowns.

Mini hb’s? Ok if you must....but slanting the bridge pickup? Not necessary, or particular smart looking. Middle single coil? Not necessary.

These guitars with a pair or even a trio or mini hb’s are plenty stratty.

There’s so much potential in the form and with the 25.5” scale. But Gibson has always seemed to screw it up in my eyes.

They do play nice.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I think they were supposed to be 'everything in one' guitars.
That's what it seems like to me; there are tons of pickup configurations, and I always thought that bass strings sound tighter on longer scale length guitars. Probably great for a cover band, but I'm not sure that I'd use those features.

I'm being offered a trade but will probably pass as I need some cash. Certainly a cool guitar, though.

bum

Reaction score
They were released at the time that superstrats reigned supreme, I always saw them as a product to try and get in on those sales

afjungemann

Reaction score
Is the Floyd after market? I personally love the looks of night hawks. It took a little to grow on me but now that they have, I like the departure.

chasenblues

Reaction score
They were released at the time that superstrats reigned supreme, I always saw them as a product to try and get in on those sales
Gibson tried/released other models to try and cash in on the Superstrat craze..Imo the Blueshawk wasn't one of the them.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Nighthawk/Blueshawk line was an attempt to cut in on Fender's sales. A mini in the neck spot wasa mod you'd see from time to time (and it's a good one on a 25.5 guitar), and the HB in the bridge spot was trying to both keep the Fender sound by angling the pickup (and using coil-splitting), and cover the most popular mod to Strats, the humbucker bridge.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Is the Floyd after market? I personally love the looks of night hawks. It took a little to grow on me but now that they have, I like the departure.
I was told that it was factory installed, but I didn't see the guitar in person.

The whole thing has a bit of a PRS vibe to me, but I'm sort of digging it...dunno if I'd like the Floyd Rose, though.

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score
Gibson tried/released other models to try and cash in on the Superstrat craze..Imo the Blueshawk wasn't one of the them.

You are probably right, I just recall them being same scale length as a strat with Humbucker, single coil and a Floyd Rose, kind of a strange hybrid of superstrat and Les Paul

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Well I did the trade, spent a few hours cleaning and setting up the guitar, and then played the crap out of it for a week. Really, really awesome guitar! There are some beautiful sounds in there, one of my favorites and the most unique is the split bridge and split neck pickups together (so that they are both single coils). That's a sound that I've never quite heard before!

Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe), I just sold this guitar off today, so in effect I finally sold the guitar that I'd been trying to move for a while. But this Nighthawk was super cool, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for one in the future--without the Floyd Rose, though. That thing drive me a bit crazy.

My favorite thing about the guitar was the ebony fingerboard; wow. I've never had much of a preference for wood type, but I loved how smooth and dark that thing was (TWSS, I know).