What Grill Should I Get?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I have the basic entry level Weber "Spirit". Its all I need. I use it at least once or twice a week, all year round. Even in the snow. Best grill I've ever had. Probably going on 5 years now. Not a bit of rust or corrosion anywhere. Love it.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just got my grill delivered 10 minutes ago. It's beautiful. I can't wait for them to install it and gets to cooking. Bought the rotisserie attachment as well. Tacos Al Pastor on the spit is going to be my first trial run.
You know the drill. We expect pics.

NHDave

Reaction score
I just ended a long term relationship with my Weber silver a. 12 years. It wasn’t the grill it was me. My needs had changed. Very happy with my pit boss. I have two. My brother got me a 700b. Too big for my deck. So I got the tailgater. ($297 wal mart). Absolutely love the smaller size. Won’t go back to gas.

KP11520

Reaction score
Wow @Crotch,

Just saw the video of the model you bought! Talk about getting everything right! The only thing I might prefer different is thicker Cast Iron Grill surface. 304 SS doesn't conduct and transfer heat anywhere as efficiently. Otherwise what an incredible design at every decision point!

Just scrub those grill surfaces before using it first time. They do have an oil film on them despite being SS.

Hopefully you got the Infrared attachment along with the rotisserie. I want one for Streaks too! LOL So many things come out great while spinning with heat. THat's going to be GREAT! Chateau Briand!

What a setup.

Enjoy the HELL out of it and invite us over more often! I'll bring beer or whatever the hell you want! :fingersx::thumb::fingersx:

YUM!

pnuggett

Reaction score
I just got my grill delivered 10 minutes ago. It's beautiful. I can't wait for them to install it and gets to cooking. Bought the rotisserie attachment as well. Tacos Al Pastor on the spit is going to be my first trial run.
Recipe for Tacos Al Pastor? I have a rotisserie on my grill and would love to try this.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Recipe for Tacos Al Pastor? I have a rotisserie on my grill and would love to try this.
I've never done it before on a rotisserie but gotta try it. There are a few of them but I watched this video the other day before posting that.

Rick Bayless has great recipes.

His is very simple. I prefer ones that have more chiles and juices in them. However Achiote paste is a key to the recipe. (missing below)
  • 4 Guajillo Chile boiled, de-seeded, and cleaned.
  • 1 Ancho Chile boiled, de-seeded, and cleaned.
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 3/4 cup of pineapple juice fresh is better
  • 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
  • 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of Paprika
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of Salt

pnuggett

Reaction score
I've never done it before on a rotisserie but gotta try it. There are a few of them but I watched this video the other day before posting that.

His is very simple. I prefer ones that have more chiles and juices in them. However Achiote paste is a key to the recipe. (missing below)
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
  • 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
Thanks

KP11520

Reaction score
That Rick Bayles recipe looks over the top on delicious! Then when he sliced it from outside in, like Gyro Meat, that was a surprise. I could stop there and eat all of it before ever hitting the pan.

I wonder if it could be done with beef?

Take for instance Short Ribs. If they don't saw them up into rectangles and instead peel the whole slab off the bone, It could be cut up like the Pork Shoulder.

Short Rib slabs when trimmed and rubbed with the right stuff and then SEARED and rare are OFF THE CHARTS! Probably the most flavor on the Beef chart because of the quality of the fat marbleization. Not as tender as other cuts, but the flavor surely makes up for it.

Even if you don't try Short Rib Slab steaks in that Tacos Al Pastor. Try them straight up.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
That Rick Bayles recipe looks over the top on delicious! Then when he sliced it from outside in, like Gyro Meat, that was a surprise. I could stop there and eat all of it before ever hitting the pan.

I wonder if it could be done with beef?

Take for instance Short Ribs. If they don't saw them up into rectangles and instead peel the whole slab off the bone, It could be cut up like the Pork Shoulder.

Short Rib slabs when trimmed and rubbed with the right stuff and then SEARED and rare are OFF THE CHARTS! Probably the most flavor on the Beef chart because of the quality of the fat marbleization. Not as tender as other cuts, but the flavor surely makes up for it.

Even if you don't try Short Rib Slab steaks in that Tacos Al Pastor. Try them straight up.

I sear and then wine braise short ribs in a dutch oven and serve with a flavored mash or polenta. They're awesome.

pnuggett

Reaction score

• 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
  • 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
I'm just not sure of the method. Traditionally it is seared vertically and sliced off as it cooks. Horizontally it looks like you cook it through and then chop up the whole spit.. Seems you won't get as much of the browned goodness. The Bayless method gives a good browning effect but seems kind of tedious with all the pounding. Without a vertical rotisserie there are tradeoffs. I love tacos al pastor so I'll probably try one of these.

Ed B

Reaction score
Beef ribs are hands down the best thing to ever come off my grill.

I get these boneless bricks at a local butcher. I smoke them until they pull apart. Never thought to cook them like steaks.

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

KP11520

Reaction score
I sear and then wine braise short ribs in a dutch oven and serve with a flavored mash or polenta. They're awesome.

I've only braised them in a slow cooker in a variety of concoctions.

But searing them first sounds like a whole nother level of YUMMMMM!

@Ed B Try a nice rub and straight out grill them.

I use olive oil spray to wet them and then a rub of Ground Lemon Pepper, Organic Dehydrated Garlic Grinder, Salt and Dehydrated Organic Minced Onion. And sometimes a pinch of Cayenne. I've found Organic herbs and spices have a different flavor and are more potent in a good way.

I buy most stuff here: https://www.spicesinc.com/t-organics.aspx

But I buy a bunch because shipping is otherwise cost prohibitive.

Trader Joe's has the Lemon Pepper Grinders.

This is the Garlic Grinder I use, they sell it in Stop & Shop and Whole Foods here locally: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drogheria-Alimentari-Organic-Garlic-Mill-1-76-Oz/30983237

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just not sure of the method. Traditionally it is seared vertically and sliced off as it cooks. Horizontally it looks like you cook it through and then chop up the whole spit.. Seems you won't get as much of the browned goodness. The Bayless method gives a good browning effect but seems kind of tedious with all the pounding. Without a vertical rotisserie there are tradeoffs. I love tacos al pastor so I'll probably try one of these.
I would do the sear and cook it almost through, yet not all the way. Chop it and then get a cast iron screaming hot and do a quick flash sear in that to get the crispy outside soft inside texture.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've only braised them in a slow cooker in a variety of concoctions.

But searing them first sounds like a whole nother level of YUMMMMM!

@Ed B Try a nice rub and straight out grill them.

I use olive oil spray to wet them and then a rub of Ground Lemon Pepper, Organic Dehydrated Garlic Grinder, Salt and Dehydrated Organic Minced Onion. And sometimes a pinch of Cayenne. I've found Organic herbs and spices have a different flavor and are more potent in a good way.

I buy most stuff here: https://www.spicesinc.com/t-organics.aspx

But I buy a bunch because shipping is otherwise cost prohibitive.

Trader Joe's has the Lemon Pepper Grinders.

This is the Garlic Grinder I use, they sell it in Stop & Shop and Whole Foods here locally: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drogheria-Alimentari-Organic-Garlic-Mill-1-76-Oz/30983237
If you pat them in a little flour before searing and cook it all in the same pot you'll get a little thicker sauce with the wine, stick, onions, carrots. I basiaclly stole and midified the pioneer womans recipe.

KP11520

Reaction score
Flour coating with the sear is three dimensional. GREAT idea!

Now I'm CRAVING!