What Grill Should I Get?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
A few non-brand considerations for you.

How many people are you going to feed.
Be mindful of the size of grill you get.

My mom & dad got me this gorgeous, humongous 6 burner grill
But in the end, it was just too big for two people. A smaller one suits me fine now.

Do you want one with a side burner?
I found that when I cooked for a lot of people, the side burner was handy.
Now. Not so much.

One last consideration.
What is the weather like and where will you store the grill?
A cover can extend the life of your grill by many seasons if it is exposed to the elements.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm getting hungry
Excellent points. My parents have a small Weber (with the rounded top) and it is perfect for their needs. Rarely do the need room for more than a couple steaks or pork chops.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Char-Broil isn't completely off the table for me. I've seen a lot of good reviews for them, and they're priced a bit lower... which may say something. Thanks for the input! :thumbs:
I'm sure a more expensive grill would be great! But for my needs this thing is perfect, even heat and cooks my food. That's all I wanted lol

dissaffected

Reaction score
I've been saying I wanted a new grill for a long time. For Father's Day I got a $500 gift card to Lowe's, so I could go pick out my own grill. It's been so long since I've shopped for a grill, I'm not sure if there are things I should favor or avoid during my hunt. Is there a brand of grill that's known for having grates that meat doesn't stick to? Any that are better at keeping wasps from nesting in them? Ones that tend to hold up better and last longer? Or is a grill just a grill? Please share your grill wisdom!

Guidelines
- I tend to favor gas because it's easy, fast, and you have more control over your heat source.
- It needs to be available through Lowe's.
- It needs to be in the $500 range (it's a loose range, I could go a few hundred over or under).

Any input is appreciated.

Ready... GO!
I have had $3k grills and $100 grills. There is only two where the internals parts did not rust thru or burn thru, particularly the burner tents. Weber charcoal is one but does not meet your requirements. The other and one we have now is a Charbroil Commercial model. Available at Lowes. Durable, easy to clean, heats evenly and durable and durable.

Last edited:

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Char-Broil isn't completely off the table for me. I've seen a lot of good reviews for them, and they're priced a bit lower... which may say something. Thanks for the input! :thumbs:
I have a Char-broil smoker and it's great. Their grills are good too. My only complaint is they spent more money on the exterior of the grill than the interior, where it counts. I've had a few over the years and had to replace the burners, grill grates and believe it or not, wheels. They cheap out in some areas that weber doesn't.
Weber grill grates are as heavy duty as you can buy and the burners last many years longer than competitors. I own 3 Webers and have had many other brands. You just can't beat the Weber for quality over time for the money. I wouldn't use anything else. I cook on a Weber about 3 times a week. Sometimes just twice. It's never let me down. The others have.

A Weber 310 is a pretty inexpensive grill and it's awesome compared to the Char-Broil in the same price range.

* Edit: You can also impress your friends with your expertise in grilling. They will speak of their Char-Broil grill in incoherent, drunken babble, you'll know (with that Weber smirk) that you are right and they are stupid. :)

The General

Reaction score
got sick of all the crap with traditional grills, so last year got one of these, less than $350 at Lowes. Blue Rhino griddle/grill. Absolutely love it. Easy to clean and maintain, easy to cook on, and can make much more than your normal grill fare. No grease and crap dripping onto the burners and catching fire. Made fajitas the other night, veges and all and didn't have to cover everything with tin foil and poke holes in it. Also, I can pretend I'm a hibachi chef and flip the utensils, to which my wife just rolls her eyes.

griddle.JPG

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A few non-brand considerations for you.

How many people are you going to feed.
Be mindful of the size of grill you get.

My mom & dad got me this gorgeous, humongous 6 burner grill
But in the end, it was just too big for two people. A smaller one suits me fine now.

Do you want one with a side burner?
I found that when I cooked for a lot of people, the side burner was handy.
Now. Not so much.

One last consideration.
What is the weather like and where will you store the grill?
A cover can extend the life of your grill by many seasons if it is exposed to the elements.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm getting hungry
My first serious grill (Coleman) was huge too. It would blast through a propane every month.
The small weber that I have now is miserly on propane and still plenty big.
And yes, get a cover!

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
I'm all charcoal and wood and I have 2 smokers and 2 grills. As far as quality, I'm in Canada where it snows 6 months of the year and my Weber spent the first 10 years of its life outside on the deck 24/7, 365 and with a wipe-down, still looks like the day I bought it.

NoRythm_LP

Reaction score
USSC is now making pellet grills... I have the middle (730) of the three product models on the way.

Dual temp is included as well as searing station. 180 - 500 degrees.

Just a thought -

Ed B

Reaction score
got sick of all the crap with traditional grills, so last year got one of these, less than $350 at Lowes. Blue Rhino griddle/grill. Absolutely love it. Easy to clean and maintain, easy to cook on, and can make much more than your normal grill fare. No grease and crap dripping onto the burners and catching fire. Made fajitas the other night, veges and all and didn't have to cover everything with tin foil and poke holes in it. Also, I can pretend I'm a hibachi chef and flip the utensils, to which my wife just rolls her eyes.

View attachment 387271

This is a GREAT call. I replaced the grates on my Weber with Grillegrates and flip them for the flat surface. It's a game changer.

I'm primarily a wood cooker. I've used a Big Green Egg for 10 years until I got a pellet grill. Haven't fired up the Egg once since. Not once.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weber Genesis E330 is the best bang for the buck.

Traegers are awesome too.

I'm doing an outdoor kitchen and just bought a Blaze Grill Top

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I've been seriously thinking about getting a George Foreman Grill for the 4 months I cant use my BBQ.
There are a few different models to choose from now.

Has anyone out there got one . . . and actually still use it.
Cleaning is usually the issues with the gimmicks I get.

or will it just sit, unused, with all the other AS SEEN ON TV gimmicks like my dehydrator, patty stacker, juicer and slap-chop ?

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been looking a lot at the Char-Broil stuff, mainly because it came up first on the website, and it looks all stainless steely and manly... but I'm getting the feeling that Weber's where it's at...
You won't be happy with Char Broil. Its very cheap stuff. I'm talking from experience.