What Gibson Is THIS?!

Fez Bear

Reaction score
I was watching the Hall & Oates' Liberty Concert from 1985, and at 16:17, the band plays 'Say It Isn't So'...but Daryl Hall plays the most curious ES guitar I've ever seen.

Here's the link for the concert on YouTube:

I've never seen anything like this before.

My best guess is its a Gibson 330 Tenor?
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 12.47.41.jpg
...but I can't find a single image of another one on the internet.

Would love to read some more information or see pictures of them!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Looks more like a modded 335 tenor?

Here's a stock '58 330, which has slightly more shallow neck joint.:

Fez Bear

Reaction score
Looks more like a modded 335 tenor?

Here's a stock '58 330, which has slightly more shallow neck joint.:

ahh very interesting! That is a beautiful guitar indeed.

I was thinking it looked like Daryl Hall's was modded. Note what looks like a 6 string bridge, but with only a 4 tuner headstock. The neck also looks very wide, unlike the thinner 330 you posted.

Do you think its been converted from a regular 335 to a tenor, by removing and filling two tuning peg holes?? Quite an unusual mod if so!

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
In this video from 1983 he plays a black 8 string. No wait, it's a red 4 string! Now it's black again! :lol:

I recorded this show from HBO back in the day and wore that dang tape out. It was 30 years before I found it on DVD.

Fez Bear

Reaction score
In this video from 1983 he plays a black one. No wait, it's red! Now it's black again! :lol:

I recorded this show from HBO back in the day and wore that dang tape out. It was 30 years before I found it on DVD.
Whoa what a cracking track! They sounded fantastic...and that's another ES guitar i've never seen before. I count 8 tuners on that one?! haha he seems allergic to 6. Don't suppose you've any idea what that one is?

David Mccarroll

Reaction score
That track just reminds me of how utterly awesome Hall & Oates are - never thought they got the recognition they deserve - thanks for posting that - off to YouTube for me ...... :D

endial

Reaction score
Darryl created an electric mandolin/guitar hybrid back in the day and called it a "Mandar". Not kidding.

The only "proof" I can find are in track listings of instruments played by Darryl.

Edit: From a "Things you didn't know about..." article:

"The Byrds-influenced sound of “How Does It Feel To Be Back” comes from an unusual instrument
In this period. Daryl Hall frequently played his own creation, the Mandar, an electric guitar with eight strings like a mandolin, tuned like a cello."