What first started the need for a guitar in your life?

frogmore

Reaction score
My love affair with the guitar started like this:
Back in the day when I was about 6 years old a boy in the suburb where I lived had been bought a black Strat as compensation for having undergone some horrible operation, which had left his chest badly scarred. I was blown away by the fact that if you connected this thing of beauty into the mains power you could sound like The Who, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones; well at least that is what the 6-year-old me thought it was for; oblivious to the fact that none of the above used Stats. I was totally electric guitar smitten.

Later in my early teens my mother bought me a catalogue acoustic, which had a pickup and came with a lead which I could plug into the family's radiogram; life was good, and I dreamed of a life on stage. An older friend of mine, who owned a blue Strat, a Selmer amp, and a van, had rented a church hall for us to practice in and at this point I was convinced that we were headed for rock’n’roll fame. We were going to be called the Larrytones; his name was Larry and mine was, and still is, Tony. However, shortly afterwards he got married and fathered a child, not necessarily in that order. My road to becoming a rock god ended up in a cul-de-sac. I blame it all on the blond hippie babe with the large, untethered breasts who gave birth to Larry’s daughter.

Later at age 18 I bought a Les Paul copy, which I believed in my ignorance was indistinguishable from the real thing; it was plywood, but I thought it was the dog’s appendage banging out the Stones’ Satisfaction on it. Aged 21 marriage and a mortgage came along, and guitars and impending rock stardom did not seem to feature in my life anymore, nor going to concerts and generally having fun living the full post-hippie sex, drugs and rock’n’roll lifestyle I had hoped for. Worse, sometime during those 5 wasted years of wedlock I lost the Les Paul copy and the cheap catalogue electro acoustic. I had money, a nice car, and a good job but no guitar, and a wife who did not share my values; she once told me that I could not play Zappa’s Zoot Allures in her company as it was obscene. The Torture Never Stops with background gasps and screams provided by Frank’s wife on that album seemed to cause my wife extreme distress.

At age 27 I reasoned that the financially ruinous cost of divorce was in fact a bargain in exchange for liberation and sanity and although impoverished by my decision pretty soon I found a wonderful music loving lady who shared my free spirited and hedonistic view of life, and although she was not a Zappa fan, she had no problem with my love of the guitar genius that was Frank. She was a Roxy Music fan, as was I, and we both loved Donovan’s Cosmic Wheels, so we were always destined to be as one. Some many years later she bought us tickets to see Zappa Plays Zappa with Steve Vai at the Royal Albert Hall, one of the greatest concerts I have ever attended, and even though she wasn’t a Zappa fan she admitted she now understood my love of Frank.

In the early to mid-80s, I managed to persuade a pawn shop owner I had befriended in Cardiff to let me buy a real Gibson “The Paul” together with a 100-watt HH Head and a Marshall 4x12 for the incredible sum of £120.00, which I paid off at the rate of £20 a week; yes, in the mid-80s you could buy stuff like that in pawn shops that cheap; I loved that guitar.

Now over 30 years later, no longer impoverished and still with the same music loving lady I now have several Gibsons, Strats, Teles, a beautiful PRS Custom 24 and a Steve Vai Jem. I no longer have the “The Paul” having part exchanged it for my first real Les Paul, a Joe Perry Signature in black burst; I still miss that guitar to this day. I am still a totally crap guitarist but since I gave up pretty much all illegal recreational highs my favourite drug is taken at least once a day through my Mesa Boogie; life is good

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
I found a home-made guitar shaped object on some waste ground while walking home from school in the late 70s. It was sort-of strat shaped. Not a real guitar, but maybe something someone would make as a wall decoration or even to wave about pretending they were a pop star.

That's what I did with it, anyway

No-one I knew had electric guitars. The idea of seeing one in the flesh, let alone owning or playing one was about as remote and exotically American to a poor British kid in the 70s to y'know, seeing Elvis walking down the street. Not in this universe

I didn't really need one, but i've always known they were the coolest thing, even before I found the discarded strat-alike

Anyway, many years later, I'd seen enough guys from various Manchester bands, to know that actually, yes, northern oiks like you can somehow afford to own and play electric guitars. And I became friends with a guy who had a bass and an amp, and we decided to form a band and conquer the world (as you do)... so in 1987 I scraped together £75 to get a 'Marlin Sidewinder', which was a crappy british copy of a black strat. That was the start of it

Lhdr

Reaction score
My high school friend (in 1977) cranking his brand cherry new Les Paul into a very awesome giant Sunn bass amp. He was classically trained but could play rock and roll on that gorgeous cherry weapon. I asked him if he could show me a few things. I picked it up real quick, but for the next 12 years only played acoustic soaking up as much as I could. In 1989 I bought my first shitty electric to go to open blues jams in Chicago. Fast forward 43 years and I finally bought my first Les Paul after another 20 years playing acoustic. Made the mistake of not buying a Les Paul as my first electric. Do not do that. Never looked back after that day in his basement. Music is freaking essential.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first impression of the guitar was from my father who was a country picker. He was a bit of a tinkerer.... he fiddled with electronic gadgets and made his own tape deck with old parts he found in a TV shop that was out of business. The most expensive thing he owned was a Martin D28 he bought new and an Neumann ribbon mic. Everything else he made.

Those early days of childhood was soaked in sounds of that guitar and my father singing Hank Williams.

So it started really early for me. My parents also encouraged my interest right up until I bought my first Led Zeppelin album..... 10 years old it had to be electric or nothing.

My first electric was a Teisco Del Rey and a Fender Vibro Champ.... latter my first Gibson was a “The Paul”....that inspired my desire to form a band.

By 14 years old I was in a blues rock trio with a singer....(4 piece I guess).... playing all my favorite tunes.... and while working several jobs to invest in the band I giged for 12 years until life overtook everyone in the band. Wives, kids, mortgages, cars, taxes, dogs and cats......life.

rogue3

Reaction score
If i want to reach here...accordion lessons when i was 7.A gearhead German fellow ran a music business out of his Monster Victorian home.I was in the accordion room, taking lessons from him.He was really an excellent accordion player.but when lesson was done,i would be sneaking time in the guitar room.A whole room filled with guitars,electric and acoustic.What kid wants to play accordion when there are guitars.After all,Elvis played one!:rofl:

gball

Reaction score
These went into my earholes as a kid:

An when I realized it was possible to have your own guitar and attempt to make the glorious noises I was hearing I became obsessed with having one and learning to play. Got my first guitar in 1976. Got my first "real" guitar in 1977. Been a lifelong obsession I guess you could say.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else but,

here’s the story.

My brother said that my old man bought a junior sized acoustic guitar at a yard sale just before i was born. To me that acoustic hung on the wall in my room at the feet of my bed FOR EVER. I never paid any attention To it because it was always there.

When i was in 8th grade in jr high after many hours of listening to Metalica tapes with best buddy I turned to my older bro and asked, “ is that a real guitar“ on the wall. He continued to tell me the yard sale story.

That day I pulled that acoustic guitar off the wall for the first time in its 12 years of no one touching it & I started my journey.

I little on later bought a crappy 60’s era Japanese Hofner electric at a flea market and had it painted black. It had no pic guard, volume knob or jack. So some garage tinkering and radio shack electronics and bam. A crappy electric guitar to go with my crappy acoustic lol

FA3BEA12-91BA-469A-9571-968D62AA22B5.jpeg

9117131F-E018-491F-B3C6-17F81428E689.jpeg

What happened to that acoustic you say? ....... Later in my HS rebel years my old man preceded to scold and tell me it was his guitar while I tried to take it with me on my on my way to run away from home. A struggle ensued as we both tugged at the acoustic & I decided I didn’t need his damn guitar and let it go.

He then proceeded to “el cabong” it over my head into pieces.

Eventually i want back home and there were other guitars but that little acoustic really left an impression on me. :rofl:

0EE506AF-1343-41D5-BC5F-D7E326EF5F62.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
I was never that much into music as a kid - completely tonedeaf and not into anything heavy. But I did like The Police as well as some local Aussie bands like Midnight Oil and the NZ band Crowded House
In school assembly we would often be treated to our year's 'band' playing a song. It was always a bit of a spectacle as the guys were pretty cool.
The 'lead' guitarist had a Les Paul Custom and a JCM 800 halfstack!!

That was the first time I thought playing an instrument appealed to me. But it took 5 years and me being in my early 20's before the grunge scene broke and I made the plunge to learn.

TheWelder

Reaction score
We got cable TV back in the mid-eighties when I was just a kid, maybe 7 years old or so. My sister and I watched MTV non-stop (back when they actually played music videos and it was a cool channel). I remember seeing the video for Hot for Teacher and thinking there was no cooler guy on the planet then EVH. Seeing him walk down the rows of tables while ripping an amazing solo on his FrankenStrat blew my 7 year old mind to smithereens.

I'm pretty sure that is what started it for me.

Latest Threads