What finish does this guitar have?

skapela

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought this guitar - it's a 2001 Les Paul Standard made at the Unsung plant in Korea.

Just wondering if anyone knows what finish this guitar has. My guess would be vintage sunburst, but the burst is more of a reddish-brown (unlike the typical yellowish color that a vintage sunburst would have).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

The Refugee

Reaction score
I'd deff vote on a 'vintage' burst due to the vintage tuners that came on it... I'd say just the 'vintage sunburst' as seen on the current Ultra-III
Similar finish, but not the same. The one above is teadrop, the Ultra III is rim burst.

the1jj

Reaction score
Looks like a desert burst to me. Epiphones take on it anyhow, still a sexy lookin flame.

Mr.Draned

Reaction score
I have an '01 Epiphone Plustop from the same factory. It seems that yours may be a Honey Burst as it looks similar, but not exact, to mine. Yours seems a bit darker, but the reddish / brown on the outside of the burst makes me think HB.
Here are a couple pics of mine just so you can compare and see for yourself.
Either way though, you have a nice git on your hands!!

skapela

Reaction score
I have an '01 Epiphone Plustop from the same factory. It seems that yours may be a Honey Burst as it looks similar, but not exact, to mine. Yours seems a bit darker, but the reddish / brown on the outside of the burst makes me think HB.

So yours is a honeyburst? If so, I'm thinking that mine is as well but with a darker finish.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I think it is Epi's version of the Brock burst, or the Dessert burst. Either way nice top.

Mr.Draned

Reaction score
So yours is a honeyburst? If so, I'm thinking that mine is as well but with a darker finish.
Yes, mine is a HoneyBurst. In checking out the Epiphone wiki though, I noticed that '01 also featured a DesertBurst that seems similar to your finish. Check out the below link, it may shed some light on this burst of yours.

Les Paul - The Unofficial Epiphone Wiki

When I first bought this guitar, the owner never told me the color of the burst either and I never thought to ask as I was too stoked. It took some research, but I found out.

The Refugee

Reaction score
Honeyburst (for Epiphones) has been EXTREMELY varied over the years, from what I can tell.

Some of them I like.

Others I don't.

Phildog

Reaction score
That should be called "Killerburst"! Who cares about the name of the finish. Man,that baby is SuuuWEET!!!

SJM

Premium V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I call them both beautiful. Mr.Draned, I would have done Zebra's but that's still a sweet set-up. It's gotta sound as good as it looks! :applause:

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score

Thats the darkest honey I ever seen.

Mr.Draned

Reaction score
I call them both beautiful. Mr.Draned, I would have done Zebra's but that's still a sweet set-up. It's gotta sound as good as it looks! :applause:
You know, Zebra's would be sweet. I'm thinking of doing a pup change in the next few months (just for some variety), so Zebra's it is!
As for the sound, yessir, it sounds as good as it looks! Thanks for the compliment!
:thumb:

Reactions: SJM

Mattdive

Reaction score
Didn't they have an "iced-tea" burst from Korea back then? If not, it does look like a dessert burst, but is quite dark.

Latest Threads