What exactly do I own?

thebluezzzz

Reaction score
First let me say I have owned approx 20 Gibson Les Paul's in my lifetime, so I am nor clueless when it comes to identifying a Les Paul. In this particular case, I cannot pinpoint exactly what year L.P. I own.....what I do know is that it is an early ( 1971-74) Gibson Les Paul with a Deluxe TRC, but factory installed Humbuckers. It has a natural Maple finish, and the pots are numbered 1377336. Its got large black transisters? in the cavity. Serial # 138161. Besides that it appears the same as all my other Les Pauls from that era....pancake body, 3 piece Maple top, mahogany 3 piece neck, mahogany back.....

Any info would is appreciated.

bblooz

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Those black thingys in the control cavity are likely your tone capacitors. Pix will definetely help, but thus far I'm banking on a '73.
:welcome:

thebluezzzz

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the pots and serial #.....from what I learned these capacitors are 71-72 vintage, but he pots are 73? But the guitar has original Humbuckers from the factory, and the route job is obviously from the factory. Also the guitar has a natural maple finish, which wasn’t an option back then. I’ve had the guitar 30 years so I strongly believe it is all original

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
At certain times in the 70's they would 'find' or use parts that were unique to an earlier era. Its happened a few times with headstock inlay types, pickups with earlier dated stamps........and pots. Of course on a few occasions we can narrow this down to a purge of the old before the introduction of the new (like in 75 where there was an almost global change in hardware.
It might be that your guitar is one from this period......the last of the mahogany necked/trans tenon guitars where they just fitted anything that was left in stock.

thebluezzzz

Reaction score
At certain times in the 70's they would 'find' or use parts that were unique to an earlier era. Its happened a few times with headstock inlay types, pickups with earlier dated stamps........and pots. Of course on a few occasions we can narrow this down to a purge of the old before the introduction of the new (like in 75 where there was an almost global change in hardware.
It might be that your guitar is one from this period......the last of the mahogany necked/trans tenon guitars where they just fitted anything that was left in stock.
Is it valuable?

thebluezzzz

Reaction score
No more or less than any other factory routed guitar of the era.

Due to the modular nature of guitars, they are not like stamps or coins, where there is a premium on something that turned out 'wrong'
I have been told that there are very few 1973 Gibson Les Paul standard’s? Or at least a deluxe from the factory that was truly a standard? Is this so? If not valuable, is it rare?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what the cavity routes look like...... got a pic?

ARandall

Reaction score
There are zero standards from 1973. 1974 Marks the first true standard that is denoted by a TRC that has Standard on it.

Of course this is not what you were saying, but its interesting to note that these guitars - for whatever its worth - do conduct a premium price.

But a factory routed deluxe is not one of those. There is a small premium of value having a factory routed Deluxe over an aftermarket rout.....however well done that process was. But they don't command much or any extra coin over a stock Deluxe for the same era anymore. There has been an appreciation of the value of an unmodified pre 75 Deluxe in the last few years.
But just because there might have been just a few in a given year is also not a cause for a premium. Thats just the way it is. The only 1 exception is 72, and that is only due to the embossed pickup covers being unique in all Gibson history to that year.

ARandall

Reaction score
Actually 1 pic of interest would be the pickup baseplates. Of note in the 73-74 period was the swap to stamped baseplates from the sticker pat# version. That will help to narrow down date of birth.

sparky2

Reaction score
I owned that exact Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold-top in the mid to late 1970's.

Great guitar.
Sorry I ever sold it.

:confused:

decoy205

Reaction score
I’ve seen 73s with those caps before. Everything seems 73 except the full size pups. Could it be a custom order 73?

Last edited:

thebluezzzz

Reaction score
I’ve 73s with those caps before. Everything seems 73 except the full size pups. Could it be a custom order 73?
yeah I think it is......everything seems to point to that, but if it is it is the only one Ive ever seen (live or on the net) that exists....trying to pinpoint its value is hard because of this.....

Latest Threads