What Epiphone pickups are these? Braided wire?

Londonbus

Reaction score
I just recieved one of the new Olive Green ES-335 Epiphones... Apparently a limited run color something or other. Been away from Epiphone guitars for a while but saw the olive green and kinda thought it would be fun.

Got it fully expecting to yank the pickups and put in "something real". But to my my surprise these sounded... Nothing short of awesome.

So of course I opened it up to see what sort of mystery I was dealing with inside and indeed I was presented with a mystery.I have worked in a shop for a number of years and never recall seeing braided metal wire on Epiphone pickups. So I looked up the letters on the back of the pickups...

ACPNHBN-C for the neck.
ACPNHBB-C for the bridge.

I Googled those but found nothing. Close, but nothing with a "-C" at the end of the model name. And nothing with braided 2 conductor wire.

The specs when I bought it (from AMS... Probably the worst retailer around when it comes to listing accurate specs) just said "Epiphone Classic Humbuckers". I've played guitars in the shop with what was referred to as "Epiphone Classics" and these sound nothing like them. These actually sound really really good. So I buttoned it back up and said "I win... Save my money." But I am still curious what these things are. Like I said, I had not owned an Epiphone in ages but if this is what they are putting out as a $500 guitar now... Holy smokes!

Can anybody shed some light on these? I am seriously impressed.

IMG_9682.jpg

IMG_9688.jpg

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They clearly have a 'not garbage' sticker on them.
Sorry no experience with them but I can say the Probuckers in some of the Epi LP's don't sound too bad to my ears.

JMP

Reaction score
I can’t provide any information relative to the pickups. But I definitely want to see the guitar and hear what you think about it.

fry

Reaction score
I have the same guitar, and I also took a peek to find the same thing. They are definitely the more recent “Alnico Classic Pro”. The single conductor braided lead wire is unusual, though, never seen that version before. I agree that they sound really great, a nice surprise.

fry

Reaction score
I can’t provide any information relative to the pickups. But I definitely want to see the guitar and hear what you think about it.
I got this guitar week or so ago, and I really like it. I’ve never owned a 335 before. It’s part of the new rollout, with the redesigned Kalamazoo headstock. I loved the Gibson Chris Cornell model, but I couldn’t afford one if I could even find one. I made a couple of changes to get the look of the Gibson. I put clear knobs on it, and direct replacement Gotoh tuners with metal buttons. That’s it, only cosmetic stuff. There’s really no need to change anything, the electronics are fine. Here’s a photo before I changed the tuners, the new photo won’t load up, it keeps telling me that it is too large.
586E1B3D-2201-4181-9CE3-0F46E452AC34.jpeg
5E7E666C-2163-42DD-9E18-93ADD7A1A497.jpeg

Londonbus

Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED

After some relentless searching online I discovered that these seem to be a newest version of the Probucker pickups according to a few online photos I discovered.

To my dismay I am seriously in love with these pickups. Not sure what other changes might have been made besides the hookup wire, but regardless I’m seriously impressed. No “upgrade” needed.

I definitely want to try these in a couple of other guitars I own.

D995CFE6-19E5-4097-B7B8-FB87952F9860.jpeg
7C3938DB-8EF6-47C5-971C-4612022BD2D2.jpeg

DrBGood

Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED

After some relentless searching online I discovered that these seem to be a newest version of the Probucker pickups according to a few online photos I discovered.

To my dismay I am seriously in love with these pickups. Not sure what other changes might have been made besides the hookup wire, but regardless I’m seriously impressed. No “upgrade” needed.

I definitely want to try these in a couple of other guitars I own.

View attachment 501559 View attachment 501560
Except that the new ones you find on eBay and Reverb at $39.99 or $49.99 are mostly copies. If seller can't prove that they were taken out of a recent Epiphone, there's a good chance they're fake chinese Probuckers. Are they as good ? You tell me ...

OEM are $149 new.
https://www.epiphone.com/Gear/Pickups-and-Electronics/IEPB

JMP

Reaction score
If they are indeed ProBuckers, you are in good shape! I put a set of ProBuckers in my 1998 Epiphone Dot, and they are indeed fantastic pickups. Congrats! Awesome guitar.

LP1865

Reaction score

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
And I'm still waiting for someone to "prove" that those Probuckers are fake lol

waiting.........

DrBGood

Reaction score
And I'm still waiting for someone to "prove" that those Probuckers are fake lol

waiting.........
Did you ever see any other legit Epiphone product sold on eBay and shipped from China ?
How would a legit $149 brand new pickup end up at $39.99 ?

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
:wave: bye bye LOL
The truth is... nobody really knows do they? Its all just speculation.
That was my point !

Derald

Reaction score
I bought a set of Epiphone ProBuckers off a chinese seller on eBay a year ago for $49. They were the real deal. While it’s possible to fake a set of Epiphone ProBuckers, the time and effort to make the ones in question leads you to believe they are the real deal. It’s possible. But who would fake them with the detail that the OP showed in the pics? When you could fake Gibsons or Seymour Duncan’s and command way more money?
Anyways they look real and if so they are really nice pickups.

JMP

Reaction score
Aren’t we talking about a brand new Epiphone guitar purchased from a reputable retailer? I get questioning what model pickups they might be. BUT, why are people talking about these being counterfeit?

fry

Reaction score
Aren’t we talking about a brand new Epiphone guitar purchased from a reputable retailer? I get questioning what model pickups they might be. BUT, why are people talking about these being counterfeit?
Sometimes these threads just get hijacked, or start off in a weird direction. The pickups in the guitar or not Probuckers, so I don’t know how we got into Probuckers, real or fake. They are Alnico Classic Pro, which were introduced the same time as the Probuckers. One is supposed to be similar to the Gibson 57’s, the other is said to be similar to the Gibson Burstbucker. Also, one has A2 magnets, while the other has A5. What threw me off (and the other guy) is that we had never seen the Alnico Classic Pro with braided wire, only with 4-conductor leads. They are nice pickups, and they do sound really good. I’m one that likes to tinker with guitars, and quick to experiment with pickups, but I’m going to leave these alone. Especially because I don’t want to go through the hassle of changing pickups in a 335, that looks like a nightmare.

Latest Threads