What does your Workbench look like?

alk-3

Reaction score
haha, no, almost everything in the shop is on wheels including the giant bandsaw, and the giant jointer. That planer is a lightweight in comparison :)

Nickpastar

Reaction score
alk-3 - i like your work place, gives that old warm feeling. Seems you have few chisels and planes :) . You build just eletric guitars or you do other stuff with wood?

Jason

Reaction score
My workbench is cleverly disguised as the top of our washer and dryer. :thumb:

alk-3

Reaction score
alk-3 - i like your work place, gives that old warm feeling. Seems you have few chisels and planes :) . You build just eletric guitars or you do other stuff with wood?

Yeah, I spend so much time in the shop that I really feel better looking around and admiring the machines instead of just making is a workspace. I have certain criteria I try to abide by when tool purchasing.
1) it must be professional quality
2)it must be old (the older the better) unless it compromises rule number 1.
3)it must work as good or better than anything you can buy new today.

When those criteria can't be met, I just purchase new machines. I'll always take an old machine over a new if all else is equal.

I also do a lot of work with handtools, and my main bench is where I keep all the most frequently used ones.

Here is my main webpage Bartlett Woodworking
I do a lot of various types of furniture, but specialize in 18th century reproduction work. :thumb:

twinrider1

Reaction score
Here's my main work area. I do use several benches around the shop, but this is my 'nest'

web.jpg

Would love to hear more about the main bench and it's story.

I'll have to limit my post to just that.....all those chisels, planes, etc....making my brain swell. BEEEautiful. (But I do hope you've taken care of that one loose outlet). :wow:

(And I know you have more clamps than that! :D)

w666

Reaction score
OMG...alk-3 = Tom Bartlett! Who knew. You're my hero....I love old hand tools and 18th century furniture. I'll pull together some pics of my stuff.

I have your plans (who doesn't) and I based my SG neck on your dimensions, adapting somewhat because the '61 SG has a thinner neck. If I said "please" (or sil vous plait,as the case may be) would you mind having a look at my thread and commenting on the questions raised in post #89?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/78773-build-thread-61-sg-3.html

Yeah, I spend so much time in the shop that I really feel better looking around and admiring the machines instead of just making is a workspace. I have certain criteria I try to abide by when tool purchasing.

When those criteria can't be met, I just purchase new machines. I'll always take an old machine over a new if all else is equal.

I also do a lot of work with handtools, and my main bench is where I keep all the most frequently used ones.

I do a lot of various types of furniture, but specialize in 18th century reproduction work. :thumb:

Nickpastar

Reaction score

Thanks for reply.
I'm with your way of thinking but i don't have money for it haha :D.
I'm just a novice, i got 4 chisels but i have to buy all kind of shapening stones. For now i'm working only with Mdf (making guitar templates) :D
I like your webpage, have you ever tried to french polish your guitars?

alk-3

Reaction score
Would love to hear more about the main bench and it's story.

I'll have to limit my post to just that.....all those chisels, planes, etc....making my brain swell. BEEEautiful. (But I do hope you've taken care of that one loose outlet). :wow:

(And I know you have more clamps than that! :D)

The bench came from Kijiji actually. I don't know too much about it except that it's very old (the last owner said 1800's, but I don't know). It's also in rough shape, a bit wobbly and in need of a full teardown and reassembly with new glue to make it as good as new. I spent years looking for an old cabinet makers bench, and still need at least one more :hmm: They're hard to come by, and usually very expensive.

the loose outlet is causing no harm... yet :wow: Actually i recently moved some machines around and turned some of the plugs into 220V and that one is still waiting to be put back. I left it loose to remind myself not to plug regular tools into it until I get the proper plugs mounted. No, those are all the clamps I own. I've always been told I need more, but I've never had a use for more. :hmm:

alk-3

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.
I'm with your way of thinking but i don't have money for it haha :D.
I'm just a novice, i got 4 chisels but i have to buy all kind of shapening stones. For now i'm working only with Mdf (making guitar templates) :D
I like your webpage, have you ever tried to french polish your guitars?

Yes, sharpening stones are very good investments! They are very expensive but can be put in your will and passed down to your kids :thumb:
French polish is one of the finest finishes out there (if not THE finest) and makes a great guitar finish. More so on acoustics though.

jonesy77777

Reaction score
Alk-3's shop is fantastic. It's such an unassuming little place from outside, with no indication of the magic going on inside. but you open the door and the warm air and smell of wood hits you, and there's tool and guitars in various stages of completion, I loved it. It was quite depressing to go back to an office after spending a couple hours in his workplace. I was very envious.

Latest Threads