what does this mean?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i've been noticing something on the bottom of the screen that asks for permission to enable push notifications.....i'm puter illiterate...among other ways. what does that mean?

Kennoyce

Reaction score
i've been noticing something on the bottom of the screen that asks for permission to enable push notifications.....i'm puter illiterate...among other ways. what does that mean?
It just means that if you enable it you will get little pop-up notifications in the bottom right corner of your screen whenever someone replies to a thread that you are following.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
aha...thanks.
It gets real old real fast. A symptom of the always connected mindset of modern man I fear. I hate it, part of the reason I sacked off eBay on top of them taking control of when and how I get paid, was the avalanche of useless emails they send. It’s symptomatic of modern business, they think that it increases something.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I allow mine because I PM a lot with people and that helps me not miss it if I'm off MLP reading something else.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I allow FB notifications while I'm on FB, but nowhere else. I check emails when I feel like it, and my phone only gives me texts and calls. I don't need to know something the second it happens, unless it's a text or call. I ignore those, too, if I'm driving, or at work and not on a break.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I always pick no. I don't have any desire to be notified about new activity on forums and sites that I am not currently browsing. If I want to see what's going on here, I'll come here and look at the latest topics. I don't need to be notified when I'm not browsing the forum.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I go beyond disallowing push notifications. I use spam blockers, ad blockers, and an 11,000+ entry HOSTS file that basically ensures I enjoy an internet experience that is almost completely free of advertising. As an example, on this forum, I see literally zero ads. Just the forum sections and content. Nothing from Gugle, Amazun, etc...and I won't even spell their proper names so as to avoid being picked up by their crawler bots.

If you hate ads, get a HOSTS file and learn how to apply it and manage it. An internet without ads can be yours!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
As for ebay's managed payments program, at first I was opposed to it. But actually it's slighly improved my bottom line as I'm now skipping the 3 percent paypal fees for most transactions.

And I get paid automatically within 3 days of the buyer posting payment. I get an email from ebay notifying me that they've sent more money to my bank account almost every day. Not only that, but as they hold back their own fees, I never even have to worry about paying them separately. They just send me my share and I don't have to worry about over-spending and ending up having to pay ebay back their fees. Overall I find that I like the new system. For once they made a change that, on balance, turned out to be an improvement.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I almost always say no to notifications.
The last thing you want from a worldwide forum is a notification going off from your phone when you're supposed to be sleeping.
Ya... it's bad enough when Alexa says "Someone's at your door" in the middle of a meeting.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Yep, I almost always say no to notifications.
The last thing you want from a worldwide forum is a notification going off from your phone when you're supposed to be sleeping.
I just turn the sound off (actually I have it off most of the day...I check it enough from time to time), maybe leave the vibrate on, but that's it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Mine haven't made any sound? I just see the little flag pop up. But, some of them are important like the ones where I've asked one of you experienced builders a question and I want to see the answer. But, I might be watching YT vids on some procedure or reading about it on some other site. Or even have MLP up twice because I'm reading through someone's old build thread and don't want to have to find my place again if I answer the PM.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It's a bad day when you own an Alexa. Those things are there only to snoop on you.
Yes, they ARE listening to you all the time. Otherwise, how could they know when you spoke their name?

Never invite a big company's snooper machine into your house. Beat the shit out of that thing with a brick or a sledgehammer and never look back!

rfrizz

Reaction score
I pathologically disable all push notifications from everything,

last thing people need is for more things fighting for their attention.....
I am sorry for being nit-picky, but you misspelled "In the interest of my sanity, I wisely disable" at the beginning of your first sentence.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for being nit-picky, but you misspelled "In the interest of my sanity, I wisely disable" at the beginning of your first sentence.
I find your interpretation more true to my actual intent, but society as a whole today would likely find my distaste for the constant interruptions by apps to be anti-social and even unhealthy, hence my technically correct use of the term pathological.

One could also simply call me a curmudgeon. Either way works for me :)

rfrizz

Reaction score
I find your interpretation more true to my actual intent, but society as a whole today would likely find my distaste for the constant interruptions by apps to be anti-social and even unhealthy, hence my technically correct use of the term pathological.

One could also simply call me a curmudgeon. Either way works for me :)
Let them go nuts!

Latest Threads