What does the CTS stamped code 70-028 identify?

leaderboy

Reaction score
I have a late 1973/early 1974 LPC with all original parts - bought the guitar new in 1974. Doing an annual cleanup/setup and decided to inspect the control cavity. Noticed the code (70-028) stamped into the pot cases and wanted to know what this code indicates. No reply yet from Gibson or CTS. Hope someone on this forum can help! Thanks.

leaderboy

Reaction score
Most likely a source code/part number, I would thing....you need to look for the number that begins 137XXXX

Here is a good read for you....

Welcome aboard.
Thanks for getting back to me and welcoming me aboard.

I looked up the pot code years ago (137nnnn) which is why I know it is a '73 model year LPC. I didn't include it in my post because I wanted to focus on and find out about the other stamped code - 70-028 - and what it indicates about the four pots (they all have this second stamped code.)

I've heard the pots are 300K, 500K, 570K - that they have audio taper - that they have linear taper - al over the map. If the 70-028 is a part number from CTS, it would be awesome of CTS would respond to me. I doubt Gibson will know much since their record keeping is quite poor. I'll gladly share what I find out here!

Thanks!

ARandall

Reaction score
I doubt Gibson would ever keep CTS inventory part number records in the first place......not in the way they would archive details needed to be known by customers anyhow.

leaderboy

Reaction score
Stumbled upon an answer thanks to Vintage Guitar and Bass. Pointed me to a Les Paul schematic and a note written in the schematic that # 70-028 is a Gibson part # and that it is a 300K pot. Other references says it is a linear taper but I have not verified this yet...

Attachments

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
there is a site that will let you put in those part numbers and it will tell you the value and taper of the pot.....

I do not know if I bookmarked it.... @krisford turned me on to it, but he is no longer around.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Linear 300k pot, they first appeared in early to mid 73.