What does the $700 extra for the ES-335 Block Neck get you ?

ben2e

Reaction score
Besides the blocks (and different pickups which probably aren't more expensive). I know the '63 Block is a historic made in Nashville but they have a '60 Block Neck made.

Gibson Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay (Antique Red) | Sweetwater.com

I was trying to make sense of this item.
1963 Vintage Reissue ES 335 Cherry Block neck, by Gibson Custom Shop NOS | eBay

He says it's made in Nashville but is NOT a historic. Maybe some of the '60 Block Neck's were made in Nashville ? That not withstanding, I couldn't find what the supposed difference was between the block and the dot. I know Gibson pricing doesn't always make sense. Is there any reason to spend more for this guitar than the dot ?

Any clue how the guitar in the listing could be made in Nashville ?

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
I don't see anywhere in the listing where it says it was made in Nashville or that it is not a Historic. As far as I can tell, they are both Historics, which is the reason for them being more expensive. There's (supposedly) a step up in quality there.

ben2e

Reaction score
I mailed the seller who said the label said made in Nashville. The '63 Reissue is of course a Nashville Historic and it's listed as a '63. The '60 Block is Memphis (or at least is now). He sent the serial number and with no A in front, I believe it's not a '63 Historic.

I suppose I care less about where it's made. Maybe in '08, some were made in Nashville. I'm more curious about the "Block Inlay" model and why it's 25% or so more expensive.

professorhulk

Reaction score
As far as I can tell it's just the Clapton Tax. There doesn't seem to be any reason why they couldn't just offer the standard ES-335 with the option of dots or blocks.

ben2e

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. Doesn't make much sense but a regular 335 makes more sense now.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I think they are the same guitar but the eBay seller has mislabled his model. Here is why:

Seems there is an official 1963 ES 335 Reissue and also one that is called ES 335 Block Inlay. Check out the listings near the bottom of this page on Gibson's site:

Gibson Guitar: Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos

There is also a significant difference in the MSRP between these two models - the historic specs one runs nearly $2K more. So I would be willing to bet that the eBay seller is selling the ES 335 Block Inlay model and is labling it as '63 Reissue.

Latest Threads