What Do Your Dream Guitars Look Like?

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Simply incredible. What's the finish called? I'm assuming something like this would have to be ordered through the Made to Measure program?
It's got to be a custom order, alright. I've never seen anything like it. I assume the MTM Program is a one-time build through the Custom Shop?

DotStudio

Reaction score
Simply incredible. What's the finish called? I'm assuming something like this would have to be ordered through the Made to Measure program?
It's got to be a custom order, alright. I've never seen anything like it. I assume the MTM Program is a one-time build through the Custom Shop?
It's actually a 2016 ES-335 Figured in Faded Light Burst. Their seems to be a lot of variance in the amount of flame and coloring in that particular model.

There's a pretty nice one in Guitar Center's used section...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-ES335-Figured-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar-114852025.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wVG1fX8vkPTqTpHXX8dMbI93o2NLEG0bwuE7Q8bxIkPd1KQMFxVBpIaApBvEALw_wcB

A little less red in the finish, and not quite as flamed, but still very nice.

BSeneca

Reaction score
I almost already have all my dream guitars:

The only really Big One I have left is that I'd like a Rickenbacker 360/12 in fireglo... to replace that black 330/12 you see in the photo...

Something like this:

Almost got my hooks into one a couple of years ago. Harmony and I visited a Sam Ash store in Orlando, and there was one up on the wall. Used, but in perfect condition...

She talked me out of grabbing it right away. But by the time I got back down there, it was gone! :D

And at that, a couple of the guitars in the first photo are no longer so dreamy to me. For instance, I really need to unload that ES 339... and while the jury is still out on the PRS Artist V (hiding behind the Telecaster between the 330/12 and the ES 339) it's not lookin' good for that guitar when it comes to remaining in my collection.

Something funny about that PRS... it looks great, and QC is the usual perfection one expects in a PRS... but its natural voice is somewhere between a Stratocaster and an SG, and I'm not so sure how much I like it.

The instrument is neither fish nor fowl... and it sure ain't beef. :hmm:

The weird intermediate scale of PRS never bothered me, and the ebony fretboard is very much to my liking. But I can't really coax a clean tone out of the thing that truly appeals to me.

I think that I'm going to take that one in for trade, once I find another Ricky 360/12 in fireglo somewhere.

But that's about it. I love both of my acoustics, too (a Martin D-15M and a Martin GPC 12PA4).

So really, the only GAS I suffer from has to do with that Rickenbacker.

--R
You pretty much have EVERY TONE covered! Congrats

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You pretty much have EVERY TONE covered! Congrats
Thanks bud... :thumb:

In reality, all but one of those instruments was purchased mainly to acquire the distinctive natural voice that each of them has going for it. :D

The last one I got was the Telecaster, out in front of the rest. The bridge pup sound of that one was something I didn't feel I needed-- right up until I started covering the work of James Honeyman-Scott and the Pretenders. It was just a couple of months into that project when I realized: some things, you simply do need a Telecaster for. Since then, it has become one of my two most favorite guitars. :thumb:

The only instrument in the photo that I did not buy primarily to acquire its distinctive natural voice was that ES 339. In the case of that guitar, I bought it to use as a substitute for the ES 335, which I was having a hard time with at that point in time. I was distracted to no end by the oversize body of the ES 335, and mine has a fairly slender fretboard that didn't serve me well until I had been playing for 3 or 4 years.

In a way, that ES 339 is kind of my "baby guitar" as it was the first guitar I was totally comfortable with. But after a couple years of practice, I suddenly found that the ES 335 wasn't so hard to play after all.

Since then I've come to think that the ES 339 has a fairly "generic" electric guitar sound as its voice. That can be altered by use of amp settings and stomp boxes, of course... which is a lot like saying that girls who are "pretty enough" au naturel can be dolled up to a much greater extent by use of makeup and wardrobe...

But still, the instrument doesn't feature a really standout or trademark sonic character when played clean with no effects.

It does have a very sweet neck, though... and sentimental value, for whatever that's worth. :hmm:

So it's acceptable enough... but not a total favorite these days. I mostly just use it for stuff that calls for open tuning.

LOL One of my ex-wives calls that guitar my "Rain Song" guitar, since that's the only thing she's ever heard me play on it.

--R :D

Last edited:

Brazilnut

Reaction score
It's actually a 2016 ES-335 Figured in Faded Light Burst. Their seems to be a lot of variance in the amount of flame and coloring in that particular model.

There's a pretty nice one in Guitar Center's used section...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-ES335-Figured-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar-114852025.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wVG1fX8vkPTqTpHXX8dMbI93o2NLEG0bwuE7Q8bxIkPd1KQMFxVBpIaApBvEALw_wcB

A little less red in the finish, and not quite as flamed, but still very nice.
If you say so. Yours is just killer! I've never laid eyes on such a beautiful 335, and rarely on a LP with that kind of top. Is it solid, or a veneer?

Chakalawaka

Reaction score
52d440e4957f3b41a46bebe8f69d850a.jpg

I'm a simple man, my dream guitar would be a Gibson Les Paul with all 1959 VOS, honeyburst with a plain maple top showing a little bit of curly flame like the one above (not mine, wish it was though...). Amber inlays, yellowed Gibson logo on headstock.
Somehow it will have a little bit of weight relief as I have back problems..!

BSeneca

Reaction score
Thanks bud... :thumb:

In reality, all but one of those instruments was purchased mainly to acquire the distinctive natural voice that each of them has going for it. :D

The last one I got was the Telecaster, out in front of the rest. The bridge pup sound of that one was something I didn't feel I needed-- right up until I started covering the work of James Honeyman-Scott and the Pretenders. It was just a couple of months into that project when I realized: some things, you simply do need a Telecaster for. Since then, it has become one of my two most favorite guitars. :thumb:

The only instrument in the photo that I did not buy primarily to acquire its distinctive natural voice was that ES 339. In the case of that guitar, I bought it to use as a substitute for the ES 335, which I was having a hard time with at that point in time. I was distracted to no end by the oversize body of the ES 335, and mine has a fairly slender fretboard that didn't serve me well until I had been playing for 3 or 4 years.

In a way, that ES 339 is kind of my "baby guitar" as it was the first guitar I was totally comfortable with. But after a couple years of practice, I suddenly found that the ES 335 wasn't so hard to play after all.

Since then I've come to think that the ES 339 has a fairly "generic" electric guitar sound as its voice. That can be altered by use of amp settings and stomp boxes, of course... which is a lot like saying that girls who are "pretty enough" au naturel can be dolled up to a much greater extent by use of makeup and wardrobe...

But still, the instrument doesn't feature a really standout or trademark sonic character when played clean with no effects.

It does have a very sweet neck, though... and sentimental value, for whatever that's worth. :hmm:

So it's acceptable enough... but not a total favorite these days. I mostly just use it for stuff that calls for open tuning.

LOL One of my ex-wives calls that guitar my "Rain Song" guitar, since that's the only thing she's ever heard me play on it.

--R :D
I am glad you are happy. I used to sell guitars at a Mom and Pop store for years. I had up to 15 guitars at a time. I am first and foremost a Les Paul guy, but I love me a telecaster. Funny you mentioned the 335 being big. I am not small bY any means but I bought an Epihone dot to see how I liked an es style. Love the sound but I need to lower the strap big time or it feels uncomfortable playing live. I purchased a dream guitar almost 3 years ago. My 1952 Goldtop. Nothing compares but I love all my collection for different things