What Do Your Dream Guitars Look Like?

NRBQ

Reaction score
When I dream about guitars and when I dream about my dream guitar, it's usually made of some kind of snack food and it's totally playable and totally eatable. Yes even the strings.

bullnose

Reaction score
didn't Fender also make a version of this , with a reverse headstock ???
Fender made the starcaster, but the headstock wasn't reversed. They make a modern player version right now with four knobs vs. six.

OBX351

Reaction score

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
While I would like a PRS core of some sort, the reality is I have plenty o' guitars. What I do need is the perfect guitar that sounds great and takes my playing up a notch. I would trade almost everything I own for it. For that special unicorn, I am not sure that I care about brand or looks, just something that speaks to me in a way no other guitar ever has.
I’m chasing the tone unicorn too. The more I play in the band I’m in, the more tone and playability trump looks.

I just traded a Strat for a PRS Custom SE 24. Haven’t looked back.

I left my ‘08 Trad with my teacher to see whether he wants to buy it because I know I won’t play it. I like the tone, but can’t abide the school bus frets and just don’t see the expense of a refret as worth it.

Mind you, I’ll never sell my ‘94 standard. I might not play that much after having acquired this PRS, but it’s going nowhere.

I do play a Highway One Tele on a few songs. That guitar is wonderful as well - tone and playability, but it serves a different purpose in the band.

Screwy, I know. I should post a picture of a ‘59 Les Paul burst, or a 57 ebony. I’m in a different place as a player now.

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

Where did you find the pic of the 'Hog? I have one as well but I've never seen one with the same vol and tone knobs. Mine is a 2002 and it's the second from the last in the above pic.
I honestly found it on google

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I almost already have all my dream guitars:

The only really Big One I have left is that I'd like a Rickenbacker 360/12 in fireglo... to replace that black 330/12 you see in the photo...

Something like this:

Almost got my hooks into one a couple of years ago. Harmony and I visited a Sam Ash store in Orlando, and there was one up on the wall. Used, but in perfect condition...

She talked me out of grabbing it right away. But by the time I got back down there, it was gone! :D

And at that, a couple of the guitars in the first photo are no longer so dreamy to me. For instance, I really need to unload that ES 339... and while the jury is still out on the PRS Artist V (hiding behind the Telecaster between the 330/12 and the ES 339) it's not lookin' good for that guitar when it comes to remaining in my collection.

Something funny about that PRS... it looks great, and QC is the usual perfection one expects in a PRS... but its natural voice is somewhere between a Stratocaster and an SG, and I'm not so sure how much I like it.

The instrument is neither fish nor fowl... and it sure ain't beef. :hmm:

The weird intermediate scale of PRS never bothered me, and the ebony fretboard is very much to my liking. But I can't really coax a clean tone out of the thing that truly appeals to me.

I think that I'm going to take that one in for trade, once I find another Ricky 360/12 in fireglo somewhere.

But that's about it. I love both of my acoustics, too (a Martin D-15M and a Martin GPC 12PA4).

So really, the only GAS I suffer from has to do with that Rickenbacker.

--R
Hey, Rob! Long time no. Uh, as far as PRS's go, I just traded for one you might enjoy. It's their semi-bolt-neck CE 24. Very cool tones, all of which work really well. Nice warm neck and fat bridge, and you can split em without a notable volume drop. Very versatile guitar. Best funk tones I ever got, plus stratlike tones and Cream on demand. A Swiss Army Knife with strings...

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey, Rob! Long time no. Uh, as far as PRS's go, I just traded for one you might enjoy. It's their semi-bolt-neck CE 24. Very cool tones, all of which work really well. Nice warm neck and fat bridge, and you can split em without a notable volume drop. Very versatile guitar. Best funk tones I ever got, plus stratlike tones and Cream on demand. A Swiss Army Knife with strings...
Hey B! LTNS! :wave:

So strange... I was just thinking of you last night. I was sitting around playing "Landslide" and suddenly flashed onto you and the little lady, remembering the time you split my sides by describing the sort of look she gives you when you'd played the verse for so long as to lose your place in the song-- thus failing to begin playing the chorus when its time comes around... :D

Glad to hear you're happy with your PRS! :thumb:

In another thread that followed this one, I found myself talking a bit more about the guitars that I have and should sell-- but never do actually dispose of. Along they way I mentioned that sometimes I'll take one of my less-used instruments and would start playing it so as to figure out why I hadn't "bonded" with the thing...

And what happens is this: I end up deciding not to sell, seeing as I always have a good time playing whatever instrument it is that I was thinking of selling. I then tend to play the thing for a good month or so, but then it goes back into its case, not to see the light of day again for maybe a year... which gets me thinking about selling it again once I remember that it's around...

And then I do the whole thing with playing it and deciding not to sell it again! :facepalm:

And of course, that PRS of mine is one of the instruments caught in that particular loop!

I still want to replace my Ricky 330/12 with a 360/12... but since I wrote this post you've quoted, I've resumed playing some of the instruments that are mainly neglected. The PRS hasn't made it to a guitar stand yet though, because I've mainly been playing my SG a lot over the last few days. Time for the PRS will come again, however... but first I have to get sick of the SG... :D

Do you remember Sonar1? That guy hated, hated, hated PRS and complained voluminously to me about the breed one night on the phone.

But then, a few months after he laid his anti-PRS tirade on me, I called to see what he'd been up to and the man told me that he has this new PRS that he absolutely LOVES. He was even gigging with it! :shock:

I reminded him of his slagging of the type in that one conversation and asked him WTF happened. He laughed and unapologetically told me that he'd changed his mind. Guffawing, he admitted, "It happens a lot!"

I huffed, "How long do you expect to continue being my gear guru, while negating your own sentiments and reversing yourself like this? Where's the logic?"

His response was to ask me, "How long have you been playing the guitar now, Rob?"

"About seven or eight years," I answered thoughtfully.

"Seven or eight years... and you still haven't figured out that 'logic' has almost nothing to do with it? I thought you were a quicker study than that!" he laughed.

In a way, it's a bit like what happens when somebody asks me what my favorite group or individual musician happens to be: some of it has to do with mood, and I'm likely to provide two wildly disparate answers if asked the same question on two different days... :D

Anyway, very nice to see you online again. Hope all's well for you, and that we'll see more of you in the immediate future! :)

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Hey B! LTNS! :wave:

So strange... I was just thinking of you last night. I was sitting around playing "Landslide" and suddenly flashed onto you and the little lady, remembering the time you split my sides by describing the sort of look she gives you when you'd played the verse for so long as to lose your place in the song-- thus failing to begin playing the chorus when its time comes around... :D

Glad to hear you're happy with your PRS! :thumb:

In another thread that followed this one, I found myself talking a bit more about the guitars that I have and should sell-- but never do actually dispose of. Along they way I mentioned that sometimes I'll take one of my less-used instruments and would start playing it so as to figure out why I hadn't "bonded" with the thing...

And what happens is this: I end up deciding not to sell, seeing as I always have a good time playing whatever instrument it is that I was thinking of selling. I then tend to play the thing for a good month or so, but then it goes back into its case, not to see the light of day again for maybe a year... which gets me thinking about selling it again once I remember that it's around...

And then I do the whole thing with playing it and deciding not to sell it again! :facepalm:

And of course, that PRS of mine is one of the instruments caught in that particular loop!

I still want to replace my Ricky 330/12 with a 360/12... but since I wrote this post you've quoted, I've resumed playing some of the instruments that are mainly neglected. The PRS hasn't made it to a guitar stand yet though, because I've mainly been playing my SG a lot over the last few days. Time for the PRS will come again, however... but first I have to get sick of the SG... :D

Do you remember Sonar1? That guy hated, hated, hated PRS and complained voluminously to me about the breed one night on the phone.

But then, a few months after he laid his anti-PRS tirade on me, I called to see what he'd been up to and the man told me that he has this new PRS that he absolutely LOVES. He was even gigging with it! :shock:

I reminded him of his slagging of the type in that one conversation and asked him WTF happened. He laughed and unapologetically told me that he'd changed his mind. Guffawing, he admitted, "It happens a lot!"

I huffed, "How long do you expect to continue being my gear guru, while negating your own sentiments and reversing yourself like this? Where's the logic?"

His response was to ask me, "How long have you been playing the guitar now, Rob?"

"About seven or eight years," I answered thoughtfully.

"Seven or eight years... and you still haven't figured out that 'logic' has almost nothing to do with it? I thought you were a quicker study than that!" he laughed.

In a way, it's a bit like what happens when somebody asks me what my favorite group or individual musician happens to be: some of it has to do with mood, and I'm likely to provide two wildly disparate answers if asked the same question on two different days... :D

Anyway, very nice to see you online again. Hope all's well for you, and that we'll see more of you in the immediate future! :)

--R :thumb:
I think about you quite often, Rob. You're kind of unforgettable, you know. Everything is fine with me. Genny has a bad cold, but that's winter for you. Still gigging. She has that beautiful warm alto. I never get tired of that voice.
I don't see how anyone could get tired of a good SG, either, really I don't. My favorite Gibson design. I like the heavier ones, at more than seven lbs. To me they sound much meatier than the light nose-divers. Mine is an old brown one with a big round neck. It sounds so good! And plays so smooth. A PRS McCarty 596 would be nice, but they are very expensive! Kind of like that 12-string you want...yikes! I like the CE. Nice wide-thin neck and all those tones. And I like the tele I built but you just can't beat a good SG. At least I think so.

You be good. And if that is not happening, at least be careful.
Love and xxx's
Bruce

Attachments