What do you think of Tokai SEB guitars

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
I love Tokai, but to me this sounds like the Gibson Sonex thing. They advertise a way to make cheaper guitars as an improvement. I'm not convinced.

Kemper59

Reaction score
I love Tokai, but to me this sounds like the Gibson Sonex thing. They advertise a way to make cheaper guitars as an improvement. I'm not convinced.

It's a more expensive guitar, not cheaper.

Instead of hollowing out a mahogany body and leaving it hollow like Gibson do, Tokai make it into a science...SEB stands for, "Sound effect body".
They're a work of art.

sebstrucuture3.png

The string vibrations of wooden intruments travel faster at the center of the body than they do at the top and back. By placing a cross-grained piece of wood at this center position of the body, sound is reflected back towards the top and back of the instrument four times faster than on a standard guitar. (from Tokai site)

sound-stream-cross-grain-body.jpg

This groundbreaking new body construction offers dramatically increased sustain and note clarity that can actually be felt "streaming" through your body as you play. In addition, the multi-directional grains offer a stunning visual appearance unmatched by standard instruments.
In 1983 we created the same effect with the revolutionary aluminum-alloy body of our original Talbo guitar and bass.
Now after two decades of research and development we have suceeded in producing the same long sustain and clear sound with the added warmth and aesthetic appeal of a wooden body.

gs150seb-vnt-top.png

gs150seb-vnt-diagonal.jpg

gs150seb-vnt-body.jpg

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
They look pretty but whether it works...that is another thing altogether. Essentially the best sustain is NOT allowing any string vibration to be absorbed via the wood/body. There is still huge debate on whether wood really affects sustain. Tone I believe it does but sustain, physics tells us otherwise.

JackOfBlades

Reaction score
I do believe these guitar company at least is making efforts to innovate in the field of guitar lutherie. So, cheers. But they do look good, I just don't like the fact that they look JUST like a Gibson. Too much coincidences, dirty ones :O

wilsonho94

Reaction score
Hey guys can anybody tell me if the cross cut mahog back affects the guitar or not as in like majorly and I heard that SEB are bright and not as warm as an orginal Les Paul unlike the LC85S... True ?

reborn old

Reaction score
Unless they have blonde looking center wood like Crazy Diamond's LS-xxQ examples above, I don't think the difference will be any greater than a change in capacitors can provide.
I don't know if Tokai used basswood or maple on these.
This is pure speculation on my part. I've never heard of anyone on any forum owning one. I have some Tokai LS's with grain running the same direction as top + back and some with mahogany grain oriented 85 to 90* towards top and back edges and there are no marked differences in tone or character.

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
I haven't tried one. But isn't this more about Tokai buyers outside Japan tending to be conservative? Most of us want Tokais to get the look and feel of a '50s Gibson. So SEB being different = bad. Would be very interesting to try one.

Latest Threads