What Do You Think Of Modern Mesa Boogie?

jo07

Reaction score
They can do everything but.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................. BOOGIE LOL

joegeek

Reaction score
Out crunch Orange and Marshall? ha

I will base a new opinion on Mesa when the MKIV comes out. The Lonestars are pretty cool though. Rectofiers... Eh

I see Eddie's is a Mesa Dealer. If you get a Stiletto Ace in Give it a good work out & let me know what you think.
joe

notoperational

Reaction score
I see Eddie's is a Mesa Dealer. If you get a Stiletto Ace in Give it a good work out & let me know what you think.
joe

Yeah, we have a Stiletto but I haven't gotten to play it. If your local come play it!

monkeyboy

Reaction score
I had a Mesa Subway blues that was a great little amp. Extremely responsive and had a great blues sound when cranked. I also liked the sound of the Stiletto that the guy from Flatfoot 56 was playing the other day. He was running a JCM2000 DSL on one side of the stage and the Stiletto on the other and to be honest it was hard to tell them apart. Guess its all in how you dial them in. I was never a fan of the Dual and Triple Recs though. They always seem kinda dry and sterile in a live situation. Now Orange, thats a whole different story. I played a RockerVerb 30 for the first time the other day and was blown away. What a killer amp.

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Out crunch Orange and Marshall? ha

I will base a new opinion on Mesa when the MKIV comes out. The Lonestars are pretty cool though. Rectofiers... Eh

+1 on the Lonestar. I own one and can't get enough of the tone and power. Well built (like a freakin tank) and allows me so many extremes tonewise. I am still learning about all the possibilities. I like the Stilletos as well. Just not my sound exactly.

Mark

Big John

usually off
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A lot of players dial in the knobs with their eyes intead of their ears, and you can't do that with Boogies. As for Mesa love, the 5:25 is a superb sounding amp. It's utterly confusing to me how they got this little guy to sound like it does. Fricking love mine.

oilpit

Reaction score
I would say your friend has it backwards. British amps are all about just what he says they aren't, Marshalls produce a fat singing distortion. And Mesas well they're all about scooping mids, and adding more and more and more and more and more gain, which produces a fizzly chug chug crunch crunch tone.
He's clearly been playing MGs and comparing them to MK IVs

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would say your friend has it backwards. British amps are all about just what he says they aren't, Marshalls produce a fat singing distortion. And Mesas well they're all about scooping mids, and adding more and more and more and more and more gain, which produces a fizzly chug chug crunch crunch tone.
He's clearly been playing MGs and comparing them to MK IVs

That simply isn't true. Your description of Marshalls is true for older ones or MAYBE the VM, but...the jury is out on others. Mesas actually have a ton of mids naturally--especially certain models--and in order to get a good tone, you need to dial some of that out. My Lonestar is REALLY low mid heavy in some settings. The mid control as a result never goes about 10:00. The idea the Mesa's are also all about more and more and more gain is also inaccurate. There are some models where that is the goal, however there is no real Mesa sound. It is so, so varied. Many of their amps do the low gain crunch, Fenderish clean thing as their real forte and they are designed that way. It is just real dangerous to try and box this company in. Their newest amp--the Electradyne--is a case in point. Simple, elegant, designed for extreme versatility, built really, really well and at a price point most people can afford.

Mark

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I saw some new Mesa's the other day at a dealer, and a mass produced amp can not be any nicer fit and finish wise than a mesa. Quality, quality, quality and then some. Blown away. I couldn't plug in unfortunately, but I am interested in the Lone Star Special (the Bronco Biege one), the Express 5:50, and the new Electra Dyne (killer!). Depending on my live playing situation this year, these could be given a go.
Of course I could get a used 4x10 Peavey Classic 50 that I LOVE and save over a grand, but us guitarists never are practical the first time around, or the third lol!!

Horse

Reaction score
One thing Mesa never sound like is fizzy, but Marshall's.... The only Marshall i dig is the JCM800, it kinda sounds tighter, less fizzy, and can sound quite close to a Mesa. Never liked Vintage Modern's, too jangly, my teeth nearly fell out.

Wolf Child

Banned
Reaction score
The new Mark V's are supposed to start shipping next week. I hope that as soon as anyone here gets one (user or retailer) they give us a review asap.

Latest Threads