What do you think is the best wattage tube amp for gigging and home use COMBINED?

Standard 64

Reaction score
So for you experienced giggers if you had to pick one amp that you can transport to gigs fairly easily and cut it with the band and then bring that same rig home and get decent tones without earbleeding,what WATTAGE tube amp do you think is the best of BOTH worlds?Thanks.This thread is tied to my other threads(el84 amps suck..... also I have a 1x12 cab...)getting as much info as I can!!Thank You

Archtop 13

Reaction score
You can't really go by wattage entirely. Some amps go from zero to 100 really fast. I guess the first real question would be what type of amp/sound are you looking for. Then the experts can help narrow it down to a few amps.

chriseskew24

Reaction score
There is probably 200 threads on here with the exact same question. I saw 100 watts should do. JK 30 at most with a good Master Volume IMHO

singlecut

Reaction score
Played my 14 watter with a 5 piece last night[6 including me] and played the same amp in my living room this morning. But as usual wtf do i know

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
40.... My Super Reverb does perfect at home and of course live. When I play big, big places I bring out the 85 watt Twin Reverb.

Anything smaller than 40 and I begin to lose headroom I need for live performance.

Disclaimer
: I don't use nor like tube amp distortion/breakup and want my amps clean so I can use pedals for gain! :thumb:

If you like tube breakup/distortion (where as I do not), then perhaps something like a Deluxe Reverb at 22 watts would be best. Princeton Reverbs at 12 watts are not gig-able in my experience. YMMV.

joshatatlasstands

Reaction score
18-40 would work great for you. I did a show at the Nashville Amp Show and hosted Blackfoot Custom Amps because I needed amps to demo on my amp stands. They brought an 18 watt 1x12 and it won the loudest amp contest in its class (under 20 watts). It was louder than some of the 100+ watt amps out there. Check it out, the smaller watt amps can and do rival the larger watt amps, it's all about circuit and speaker efficiency.
Nashville Amp Expo - August 19-21, 2011 - 2011 Loudest Amp Contest

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
For me, it has been my Two Rock Studio Pro 22. I have cabs at all my practice and gigging locations, so its pretty easy to carry from home to the gig. It is also very "home" friendly because it has 2 master volumes. I gig at my church so I can leave cabs anytime.

I think that the "best" amp is going to be up to you. But, I will say that 15 Watts with a Master Volume is a great place to start. If you have the opportunity to mic your amp, then just about any wattage will work.

Another great option is the Egnater Rebel 30. Probably the most versatile amp I've ever played and it has a built in watts knobs.

Standard 64

Reaction score
For me, it has been my Two Rock Studio Pro 22. I have cabs at all my practice and gigging locations, so its pretty easy to carry from home to the gig. It is also very "home" friendly because it has 2 master volumes. I gig at my church so I can leave cabs anytime.

I think that the "best" amp is going to be up to you. But, I will say that 15 Watts with a Master Volume is a great place to start. If you have the opportunity to mic your amp, then just about any wattage will work.

Another great option is the Egnater Rebel 30. Probably the most versatile amp I've ever played and it has a built in watts knobs.
18-40 would work great for you. I did a show at the Nashville Amp Show and hosted Blackfoot Custom Amps because I needed amps to demo on my amp stands. They brought an 18 watt 1x12 and it won the loudest amp contest in its class (under 20 watts). It was louder than some of the 100+ watt amps out there. Check it out, the smaller watt amps can and do rival the larger watt amps, it's all about circuit and speaker efficiency.
Nashville Amp Expo - August 19-21, 2011 - 2011 Loudest Amp Contest
Played my 14 watter with a 5 piece last night[6 including me] and played the same amp in my living room this morning. But as usual wtf do i know
So I'm figuring 20 watts would be great,thanks guys:thumb:

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
many variables but 18 watts and mic it if you ever need more volume

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only real question for amp size when gigging is this: will it be reinforced through the PA or not?

If you gig where your amp is not miked through the PA, then you're going to need more power than if it is. I have my Mesa 5:25 Express and have gigged dozens of times with it on the 5 Watt setting and it's been plenty loud on stage with a 5-piece band, even competing with a hyper drummer. But it is *always* miked into the PA. If I need more of it for me, it goes in the monitors, and if FOH needs more the sound engineer adds it out front. If you gig like this, then gigging amp and bedroom amp can be one in the same.

As a sound engineer (on the side) myself, I would MUCH rather have someone show up with a low-power amp that they can set on-stage to get the *tone* they want, then I will make the PA get the *volume* they need to sit in the mix as necessary. The worst scenario is when the guitar player shows up with a 100W half-stack and dimes it out and then the PA has to try and lift everything above that. You fight yourself, the stage volume, the FOH, and ultimately just make a lot of unpleasant noise. Hell, most of the professional touring acts today don't have *any* amps on stage at all. Their guitar tech is running everything from behind/under the stage and they just hear everything through IEMs.

Finally, remember the physics of sound: wattage is exponential, not linear. 25W is twice as loud as 5W, not five times as loud. 100W is twice as loud as 10W, not ten times as loud.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
So I'm figuring 20 watts would be great,thanks guys:thumb:
There is a lot more to it than that, it depends on what amp. I just picked up a Blackheart Handsome Devil and it is great at half volume and lower, maybe better through a different speaker than the stock it comes with.

But... I played the Tweaker 15w through the Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cabinet and at 1/2 volume it was way louder than my Blackheart 2x12 at 1/2 volume and it stayed tight and sweet kachunk'n all the way.

It comes down to a good matched amp and cabinet for what tone your trying to acheive. I have found that a 1x12 is not enough for me, it does not give me enough headroom as the volume goes up. Obviously if your mic'd through the PA then your ok, but just the amp alone for gigging, I have found that 2x12 sounds better and fuller at a lower volume and cuts through better than a 1x12 turned up.

Standard 64

Reaction score
The only real question for amp size when gigging is this: will it be reinforced through the PA or not?

If you gig where your amp is not miked through the PA, then you're going to need more power than if it is. I have my Mesa 5:25 Express and have gigged dozens of times with it on the 5 Watt setting and it's been plenty loud on stage with a 5-piece band, even competing with a hyper drummer. But it is *always* miked into the PA. If I need more of it for me, it goes in the monitors, and if FOH needs more the sound engineer adds it out front. If you gig like this, then gigging amp and bedroom amp can be one in the same.

As a sound engineer (on the side) myself, I would MUCH rather have someone show up with a low-power amp that they can set on-stage to get the *tone* they want, then I will make the PA get the *volume* they need to sit in the mix as necessary. The worst scenario is when the guitar player shows up with a 100W half-stack and dimes it out and then the PA has to try and lift everything above that. You fight yourself, the stage volume, the FOH, and ultimately just make a lot of unpleasant noise. Hell, most of the professional touring acts today don't have *any* amps on stage at all. Their guitar tech is running everything from behind/under the stage and they just hear everything through IEMs.

Finally, remember the physics of sound: wattage is exponential, not linear. 25W is twice as loud as 5W, not five times as loud. 100W is twice as loud as 10W, not ten times as loud.
There is a lot more to it than that, it depends on what amp. I just picked up a Blackheart Handsome Devil and it is great at half volume and lower, maybe better through a different speaker than the stock it comes with.

But... I played the Tweaker 15w through the Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cabinet and at 1/2 volume it was way louder than my Blackheart 2x12 at 1/2 volume and it stayed tight and sweet kachunk'n all the way.

It comes down to a good matched amp and cabinet for what tone your trying to acheive. I have found that a 1x12 is not enough for me, it does not give me enough headroom as the volume goes up. Obviously if your mic'd through the PA then your ok, but just the amp alone for gigging, I have found that 2x12 sounds better and fuller at a lower volume and cuts through better than a 1x12 turned up.
This is really good info,just what Im looking for:thumb:

spitfire

Reaction score
Don't forget about speaker efficiency. That makes huge difference. Efficiencies can range by more then 6 dB. A speaker that is 6 dB more efficient is like having 4X more power.

So a 20 W amp could easily be louder than a 40 W depending on the speaker choice.

ANEAS

Reaction score
Don't forget about speaker efficiency. That makes huge difference. Efficiencies can range by more then 6 dB. A speaker that is 6 dB more efficient is like having 4X more power.

So a 20 W amp could easily be louder than a 40 W depending on the speaker choice.
for every 3db increase of speaker efficiency you can half the power required to produce the same sound level... so 40watts at 90db speaker would be the same as 20w with a 93db speaker and 10w with 96db speaker.....and 2 speakers to a cab is 3db more than one.....so the spk cab has a lot to do with sound output level

Matty

Reaction score
Depending on who makes it, I had a JCA20H and my Daisycutter 10 is way louder.

for every 3db increase of speaker efficiency you can half the power required to produce the same sound level... so 40watts at 90db speaker would be the same as 20w with a 93db speaker and 10w with 96db speaker.....and 2 speakers to a cab is 3db more than one.....so the spk cab has a lot to do with sound output level
Good info there, but there must also be differences in efficiency (or power rating) going on with different makers as my JCA and Phaez were running through the same cab, and the Phaez is clearly louder. In fact it's also clearly louder than my Marshall 4001.

spitfire

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Every 3 db in efficiency is the equivalent to 2X more power, or 6dB being 4X more power as I had said.

But more speakers in a cab isn't necessarily more efficient. So 2 speakers isn't going to be 3dB more than one. Though the total power handling of the 2 speakers is double (3dB) more so you could drive them with 2X more power.

And you make a good point that cabinet design is also a factor in speaker performance.

River

Reaction score
See my signature, and Google "Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb".

Latest Threads