What do you think is the best Marshall amp ever made?

goldtop0

Reaction score
If I hit the lottery I would buy a vintage 1962 Bluesbreaker. My ultimate Marshall.

There are too many fakes of those around the globe and apparently only one of them was custom made back in the day for EC, a JTM45 chassis in a 1962 cab.

Last edited:

Gridlock

Reaction score
There are too many fakes of those around the globe and apparently only one of them was custom made back in the day for EC, a JTM45 chassis in a 1962 cab.
That’s news to me. I’ve never heard or read that. I do believe that these were production runs and not just a one off.

I’ve owned two Marshall 1962HW’s which were really great sounding amps, just super loud. After I win the lottery, I’ll also have a house big enough to crank up the BLuesbreaker to needed volumes.

goldtop0

Reaction score
That’s news to me. I’ve never heard or read that. I do believe that these were production runs and not just a one off.

I’ve owned two Marshall 1962HW’s which were really great sounding amps, just super loud. After I win the lottery, I’ll also have a house big enough to crank up the BLuesbreaker to needed volumes.

Got my information from a Brit pundit on the LPF who's got his finger on the pulse of all things Marshall amps, he gives advice about fakes etc.
An acquaintance of his who saw Eric's 1962 in late '65/'66 told him that the chassis was a JTM45 that Ken Bran had put in the custom made cab for Eric. He also said that so far as he knows that was the only second series 1962 ever made......he's never seen or heard of any others. The photos we see in the Marshall books by Michael Doyle showing old Marshall catalogue pics of the time with the flat front small fascia second series combo were catalogue shots only as none were produced like that.
I'm thinking about a vintage size 1962 myself. Got a ceriatone JTM45 amp here and just need to get a cab made. They're very wide and cumbersome to carry around and that's the thing that's holding me back :laugh2:

Gridlock

Reaction score
Got my information from a Brit pundit on the LPF who's got his finger on the pulse of all things Marshall amps, he gives advice about fakes etc.
An acquaintance of his who saw Eric's 1962 in late '65/'66 told him that the chassis was a JTM45 that Ken Bran had put in the custom made cab for Eric. He also said that so far as he knows that was the only second series 1962 ever made......he's never seen or heard of any others. The photos we see in the Marshall books by Michael Doyle showing old Marshall catalogue pics of the time with the flat front small fascia second series combo were catalogue shots only as none were produced like that.
I'm thinking about a vintage size 1962 myself. Got a ceriatone JTM45 amp here and just need to get a cab made. They're very wide and cumbersome to carry around and that's the thing that's holding me back :laugh2:
Interesting. I’ll have to do some research.

I’ve owned two 1962HW’s and a 1962RI. Both good sounding amps but the Handwired version was so much better sounding than the RI. The RI cab was very manageable but the HW cab was crazy big and heavy. Guessing 70+ lbs.

I also owned a ‘72 or early ‘73 Marshall Artiste with original Greenbacks. Still hand-wired and supposedly could be converted to a Plexi without too much pain. I totally planned to turn it into a Bluesbreaker but the amp was just to nice to mod. I believe that the cab was very similar to a Bluesbreaker.

Photos of my Artiste below.

04C57758-7362-4BA3-AB10-BE165D30DDEB.jpeg

8E72BBCC-A050-4D3B-882F-870042825C5E.jpeg

capnbooboo

Reaction score
conclusion
JCM 800s v 2203 with el234s have the best growl for metal equivalent to Flamenco guitar growl
Softube and Marshall finally mad ea sim after one of their best at the Marshall Museum.

the rest have that hollow blues tone

2203 for byte
Jubilee is more clean to dirty louder
Plexis have the Marshall classic rock tone, Randy Rhoads have the 59 models in white which became the last series before 800-900s, correct me if I am wrong but Marshall seemed to of released revisions of the 2203 both in alternative versions as well as signature series (Zack, Kerry etc) all designed after the 2203 with different tubes

zeneffect

Reaction score
This is my go to/daily. UK made DSL1H 50th anniversary limited edition. I don't play in a band, and have neighbors so the amp hits just about every single checkbox for me. Can crank it without getting the cops called, fx loop, switchable to .1 watt.

20211220-153628.jpg

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
This seems like an appropriate place for this video. I only discovered this guy a couple of months ago, he's awesome:

His tone rips, his playing is amazing....and his voice and accent...I want him to read me viking stories.

Great, now I'm lusting for a 1987X. Thanks, Eric.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
conclusion
JCM 800s v 2203 with el234s have the best growl for metal equivalent to Flamenco guitar growl
Softube and Marshall finally mad ea sim after one of their best at the Marshall Museum.

the rest have that hollow blues tone

2203 for byte
Jubilee is more clean to dirty louder
Plexis have the Marshall classic rock tone, Randy Rhoads have the 59 models in white which became the last series before 800-900s, correct me if I am wrong but Marshall seemed to of released revisions of the 2203 both in alternative versions as well as signature series (Zack, Kerry etc) all designed after the 2203 with different tubes
After listening to a bunch of this guy Euge Valovirta's videos, I'm convinced that the plexi (1987 and 1959 types) are the best for metal, IF you can crank them and use the right amount of boost.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud of mine told me a few days back about a mint 800 going in play... Just waiting a while for the planets to line up.... Patience.... ;)

Like a dumbass, I moved my white one decades back.... Don't need an 800 now.....but it's a damn 800.... If the planets line up, yep. Done deal right then....

Eigen

Reaction score
This seems like an appropriate place for this video. I only discovered this guy a couple of months ago, he's awesome:

Very cool description of the sound the MV's and the NMV's produce. The MV's, especially the 2203, do have this more 3D spacious distortion that's like a massive wall of sound, while the NMV's feel like they concentrate the sound into a glorious constant gut punch, you really do feel their thump differently.

74JMP

Reaction score
The 50 watter I had back in the 70's was absolutely the best Marshall I ever played through but it was damn loud. I had a modded JCM 800 2205 that was pretty awesome as well.
I have 3 of them and never heard a plexi or 800 tone they would not do or get sanely close to and they have their own thning

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Best Marshall amp ever made is the Metropolous Metroplex.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
My favorite Marshall amp is the Marshall AVT 20 amp. Love that amp. Happy New Year everyone.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
My favorite Marshall amp is the Marshall AVT 20 amp. Love that amp. Happy New Year everyone.
My first "serious" amp (for a snotty teen that is) was a Marshall AVT50 combo. So much girth, so much bottom end, so much gain on tap. The tone was phenomenal, warm, saturated. It's only limitation, as you might imagine, was that as you cranked the volume you got none of the added dynamics of a tube power stage. But it was perfect for chugging away in a bedroom at low volumes, sounded big and heavy at low volume.

Honestly it's hard to say which one is the best. They're all stellar in their own right and way. I'm a fan of everything between JTM45 until the DSL line, after that I lost interest, the gain saturation levels had gone as far as they could go and still sound good. Anything after the DSL is just more useless Fizz IMO.

Lately though I've been jones-in for that transitional phase between JTM to JMP, the first "Plexi's" that sill had a tube rectifier. Like a super lead, but with just a hair shaven off, for a smoother, more rounded top end. I think the 1974X captures that sound, but it's ungodly priced. lol.

Latest Threads