What do you think is the best Marshall amp ever made?

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a worker at my local Sam Ash who I’ve gotten to know quite well, about Marshall amps and what we thought were the best amps that they have made over the years. I personally have owned several Marshalls over the years. DSL40C, Class 5(both head and combo versions), Origin 20H, Marshall DSL20CR, Marshall 2525H(Silver Jubilee mini head), Studio Classic 20H(JCM800 mini head) and currently a Marshall DSL40CR which I really like. The one amp out of all of them that truly blew me away was the Silver Jubilee mini. That amp has the best driven sound I’ve ever heard from a Marshall amp plus the clean sounds were amazing too. Not quite on par with Fender but, excellent for a Marshall tube amp. The gain sounds can go from JTM45/Super Lead to 800 to modern with an overdrive pedal. I’ve also tried out a couple of original Jubilee amps from 1987 and I loved the sound of those as well. Playing those amps alongside the newer mini versions sealed the deal for me as the best Marshall amp ever made. I know the JCM800 and the 4 input Super Leads are in the echelons of the greatest amps of all time and rightfully so but, I think the case can be made for the Silver Jubilee. What do you guys think?

Cheers.

redking

Reaction score
1968 Superlead / Superbass are regarded as the pinnacle by many who have had a chance to play any amp at any volume. Personally, my original 50 Watt Silver Jubilee was less than inspiring, which led me to sell it and grab a '66 Traynor YBA-1 instead. That being said, at the time, I didn't know as much about tube amps as I do now, so I probably could have paired it with a different guitar and/or different speaker cab and gotten a result that I liked.

redking

Reaction score
Fender Bassman.
Yep! The JTM 45 paved the way. One anecdote I remember from a documentary about Canadian amp builder, Gar Gillies of Garnet amps as told by Pete Traynor: They were all assembled at a trade show in the 70's (maybe it was NAMM?) and Pete and Gar got the chance to have cocktails with Jim Marshall one evening and they were both horrified to discover he knew nothing about tube amps lol.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! The JTM 45 paved the way. One anecdote I remember from a documentary about Canadian amp builder, Gar Gillies of Garnet amps as told by Pete Traynor: They were all assembled at a trade show in the 70's (maybe it was NAMM?) and Pete and Gar got the chance to have cocktails with Jim Marshall one evening and they were both horrified to discover he knew nothing about tube amps lol.

Reminds me of the Rig Rundown - Waddy Wachtel video where John Bohlinger kept asking Waddy about his gear in his guitar and Waddy had no idea. His response was I just eat the food, I don't cook the meal.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I would recommend the Astoria Custom... it can do its own thing but does a great job with Plexi on steroid tones...
I love Plexi tones... I also love a bit more gain. That is where the Jube is great and also that is why some don t like it. The diodes act as a boost / overdrive and give it the extra gain, somrwhat coloring the tone. Some love it, others don’t.
The Astoria Custom has plenty enough gain on tap without needing a pedal or a diode based circuit. It also has an internal boost which i like... but then again others will prefer other pedals... though there is plenty enough gain without the boost if you can push the master.

mdubya

Reaction score

5SITXbZ.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me (strictly at-home) the Sl5.

But in general, the JMPs used by Judas Priest on Sin After Sin

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm really liking the JCM900 SL-X 2500. But I just picked up a JCM800 2205 and it's amazing. I really like the JCM900 4500 as well.

I owned a '79 JMP 100w Master Volume, but I dont think at the time I could fully appreciate it.

How about this 1972 Lead-Bass 20w.....?

1972_Marshall_Lead-Bass_20w_2061_3778D-006_1080x.jpg

1972_Marshall_Lead-Bass_20w_2061_3778D-012.jpg

1972_Marshall_Lead-Bass_20w_2061_3778D-015.jpg

1972_Marshall_Lead-Bass_20w_2061_3778D-022.jpg

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early 70s metal face Super Leads. If you have ever cranked one, you would understand.

I had one for about ten years. Had to sell it after I got married because I had lost my job shortly thereafter. :( Been kicking myself ever since.

Heads - late '60's early '70s 1959 SLPs.

Combos - 1962 "Bluesbreaker".

I have a YJM100 (not an Yngwie fan though, not that there's anything wrong with being one), a 1974X and a Class 5. I LOVE 'em all!

Last edited:

Latest Threads