What do you think about this top?

Armenfish

Reaction score
The question is, what do you think of the top? As I’ve gotten older I really don’t care what others think if I like it. Looks good to me!
yeah! I like it, its different from the other r9 (fat flames)
Just was curious

kakerlak

Reaction score
It's far from a spectacular top, but it's also got a pretty vintage-correct look to it and, in that sense, I like it. I do wish the finish had a little more hint of a burst around the lower bout and/or a little less on the upper bouts -- it just looks a little unbalanced. I love the color, though.

Armenfish

Reaction score
It's far from a spectacular top, but it's also got a pretty vintage-correct look to it and, in that sense, I like it. I do wish the finish had a little more hint of a burst around the lower bout and/or a little less on the upper bouts -- it just looks a little unbalanced. I love the color, though.
yep, that vintage look is what i was looking for, not a super flamed
This one is going to have a Bavarian Makeover next year

kakerlak

Reaction score
yep, that vintage look is what i was looking for, not a super flamed
This one is going to have a Bavarian Makeover next year
I do wonder about paying the R9 premium on a guitar you intend to have reworked, unless the top is just shouting at you, "I'm the ONE!" Seems like you could find that sort of a top on an R8 and have the neck reprofiled however you want.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Buzzkill alert: I don't post here really ever, but it's a fairly "run of the mill" R9 top IMO. It would have to sound really special for me to either keep it or pay over $3800-4k on today's used market.
I've played so many guitars over the years and it never surprises me anymore when I play a $$$ guitar that has a "gorgeous" stop and it just sounds "average" acoustically or plugged in or feels "meh" in your hands.
Do you think there is a significant connection between how an electric guitar sounds acoustically vs. plugged in?

swampblues

Reaction score
I like those style flames but I also like a darker fade

Nomex

Reaction score
10/10 for me. Looks like vintage 59 Standard out of box.

phillyred79

Reaction score
Do you think there is a significant connection between how an electric guitar sounds acoustically vs. plugged in?
Honestly, most of the time with a solid body I personally find little to no correlation between the two. However, hollow/semi-hollow there does and it's not always the better it sounds/resonates acoustically the better it sounds amplified. How about you?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Honestly, most of the time with a solid body I personally find little to no correlation between the two. However, hollow/semi-hollow there does and it's not always the better it sounds/resonates acoustically the better it sounds amplified. How about you?
I haven't found much of a connection, if any. I often see references to how much an electric such as an LP "rings acoustically" and wonder what that means. Mine don't give me any indication, unplugged, of what they sound like through an amp. I don't have enough experience with hollow bodies to comment on that.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. Just curious, is all.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of similar tops (my favorite type of flame) a more classic vintage look,..... though I’m not a fade fan unless it’s a complete even fade.

500D905F-7C80-49E0-96BC-678DE2024A06.jpeg

0CD1B707-8188-48D8-83B0-8735F0F4380C.jpeg

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Love it! I would normally go for a plain top but I DEFINITELY wouldn't turn away a guitar like that; just not a fan of the AAAA/Quilt tops, traditional forever!

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I prefer 'thin' flames to be subtle.
While 'chunky' flames, or 'quilted' tops should be palpable

:)

boola1

Reaction score
All my guitars have the same tone/properties accoustically or plugged in. If you have the ears, you have them, if not, you don't. Sorry but that's the truth.

Of course pickups make a huge diference to the sound that comes through the amp but they're just an eq/amplifaction device at that part of the signal chain. The character of the guitar, the signal generator can still clearly be heard. That said, the more shit you put in the signal path, pedals, eqs etc the more you degrade the original signal, eventually to a point where your R9 can't be distinguished from a Hello Kitty guitar.

Last edited:

boola1

Reaction score
On topic... It's a lovely flame top but I'm not a fan of those faded paint jobs, they look a bit weird to me and I've never seen a 50s guitar that has faded in that way.

Latest Threads