What do you think about a mid 1980s P-90 Pickup?

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I want to get your opinion about the Gibson P-90 from the mid 1980s. I purchased a 1986 Les Paul Junior in Cherry, which I love. It is stock except for the Lollar P-90. The pickup and electronics sound great. The original P90 came with the guitar (the clear bobbin).

In the meantime, I ordered a Mojotone Hot Quiet Coil P90 with the expectation of putting it in. The pickup is on its way to me. But, now I'm wondering how the original pickup would sound in it. Try that out before I "break the seal" on the Mojotone.

So - can anybody share their experiences with a mid 1980s P90? Curious to hear your thoughts (sound, hum, whether the aged nature of the pickup has any effect on sound). Thanks!

Qam

Reaction score
Spikey, low output and characterless.

Get a rewind!

ARandall

Reaction score
If you have the pickup sitting there, why on earth waste time posting threads when you could be soldering???

Quite literally, nobody else's opinion but yours matters.......period.
Nobody else possesses your rig, nor your set of ears or tonal preferences either.
So in short, all of your questions can only be answered by putting it in.

Also, I've found the most considered opinions about pickups are almost mutually exclusive to the most strident.

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve got a clear bobbin p90 from/in a late 60’s-early 70’s sg and it sounds great. I’m not sure what all changes may have happened between the two time frames, but I bring it up because it also has the clear bobbin yours has, not sure if it’s any help but someone who knows may chime in.

judson

Reaction score
solder in the original and see if it suits you...

honestly , i have two sets of Lollar P90s

one in a 60's firebird and the other in a custom build

they work for me ....if you want to unload the Lollar, let me know

:fingersx:

lawrev

Reaction score

Will do!

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I love mine. Stock Gibson in my 86 junior. I've got lollars in one of my deluxes.

Also it me or is it *really* ironic that the guy who posts that no one's opinion matters has *so* many opinions to share.

People exhaust me.

I like my 80s p90 quite a lot.

lawrev

Reaction score

@judson the 2004 Lollar P90 is for sale up on Reverb. Put the stock Gibson pick up in yesterday.

lawrev

Reaction score
REVIEW - The stock Gibson P90 sounds great! A slight hum in the headphones but not much at all. Very responsive to pick attack (using 2 Vox headphone amps - the Blues and AC - 30). Will have more time after work, but happy to have put the stock Gibson back in.

ARandall

Reaction score
REVIEW - The stock Gibson P90 sounds great! A slight hum in the headphones but not much at all. Very responsive to pick attack (using 2 Vox headphone amps - the Blues and AC - 30). Will have more time after work, but happy to have put the stock Gibson back in.
Ah, so not spiky, low output and characterless then....... :run:

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
It totally depends from guitar to guitar (and what you're after tonally). Try all 3 pickups and see which one works for you. What I like has no bearing on what works for you...

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would never replace a Gibson P-90 from any era with another brand. I find nothing wrong with them.

lawrev

Reaction score
I would never replace a Gibson P-90 from any era with another brand. I find nothing wrong with them.
I am very happy with this particular pickup. I'm going to keep the Mojotone Hot Quiet Coil in reserve for the next Junior.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with this particular pickup. I'm going to keep the Mojotone Hot Quiet Coil in reserve for the next Junior.
I do have to say though, that the Tribute in my avatar used to have P-90s, but the mini humbuckers I installed are indeed Gibson parts, 6.4 K :)

Charlie51

Reaction score
It is just a P90.

These are simple to get right— no unobtanium PAF sorcery involved.

Stock Gibsons are already great.
I had a mid 80's Gold Top with P-90s I bought new. I loved the tone. People i played with did too. Just going with my memory because I hated the neck on the guitar (had it leveled twice and it still wasn't right). Sold it 10 years ago. If I still had it and the neck was good, I'd have left all the electronics stock.

Latest Threads