What do you play on your les?

Oddball667

Reaction score
I don’t know them too but didn’t want to look like an outdated guy :laugh2:
You are braver than me
Its more of a "classic metal" sound. Basicly like Sabbath or pre Judas priest iron maiden era inspired heavy metal from the 70's.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Sugaree. I just keep playing Sugaree. Need to break out.
Ill sometimes zone out on the main riff to money on the bass , that or the version of seven nation army we used to play a few years back.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Love me some Doom! Grew up listening to the British Rock bands, Sabbath, Zep. etc... before the Metal genre really took hold and branched off in lots of different directions.

One thing I like about Doom- usually has great melodic singing as opposed to the shouting/screaming or “Cookie Monster” vocals in other Metal genres, which is also enjoyable.

And heavy use of fuzz, pentatonic minor scales and clean fingerpicking, which show the connection to blues and might be interesting to people who aren’t familiar with this genre, but have listened more to the other direction the Early British bands went- blues based rock etc. Also Sabbath fans!

But let’s not forget the RIFFS! I think any guitarist can appreciate the heaviness of riffage in Doom and Stoner

Here’s a couple Doom bands Ive loved for a long time (fair warning this is some heavy shit!)

Maybe the greatest doom band of all time, this album was released in 1986!

A little more recent:

I think Stoner is more of an American Genre ?

Perhaps the greatest Stoner Metal Album of all time:
(Sleep’s Holy Mountain)

Anyway I like to play my LP with fuzz and distortion more than clean tones, but overall it sounds great no matter what I throw at it!

Oddball667

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about that , i would consider like redfang , possibly mastodon ECT more a stoner band , possibly like kyusss and stuff

NINFNM

Reaction score
I play eveything on my LP. From thrash grove metal, to rock, punk, indie, funk, pop, flamenco, acoustic, dance, rap, electronics... I also enjoy noodeling with nonsense shredding while surfing the internet

Oddball667

Reaction score
The noodling nonsense I can relate to , its what I been doing sense I got this guitar at a really low volume .
But the noodle ist turning into a song or solo I'm naming after my daughter (and her sleeping , because thats what she's doing when I get to play).

jc2000

Reaction score
70's and 80' rock. I mix it up a little lead and a mostly rhythm.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I've never been a "lead" guy either , being a bass player and growing up in the 90's wich was sorta an anti guitar solo kinda era .
Love me a good guitar solo now that im older though.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Blues, Rock, random soft stuff

I have my super strats for metal and heavier stuff in general
This comment actually made me restring and down tune my cheap jackson dinky reverse (that I bought to hang on the wall because I hate floyd roses) .
So i through on some heavy strings and runed to C# and this thing just sounds nasty for a cheap guitar with stock (jackson?) Pickups .
....may have to start playing this guitar more and give my ol'red a rest a bit .
Plust it feels like 7lbs lighter lol

Frankie S.

Reaction score
Anything and everything.. Jazz, blues, oldies and of course twinkle twinkle little star and the Meow Meow Meow, Meow Mix commercial for the grand kids.

Oddball667

Reaction score
...always
Anything and everything.. Jazz, blues, oldies and of course twinkle twinkle little star and the Meow Meow Meow, Meow Mix commercial for the grand kids.
Wanted to learn that you dont always die from tobacco song that used to be before movies from the truth commercials lol

Mockbel

Reaction score
This comment actually made me restring and down tune my cheap jackson dinky reverse (that I bought to hang on the wall because I hate floyd roses) .
So i through on some heavy strings and runed to C# and this thing just sounds nasty for a cheap guitar with stock (jackson?) Pickups .
....may have to start playing this guitar more and give my ol'red a rest a bit .
Plust it feels like 7lbs lighter lol
Jackson makes fantastic guitars even at entry level.. just avoid entry levels with tremolo
I don’t know which Dinky with reverse headstock you talk about but most probably a JS11 model.. which is still fantastic for its price.. I played one of them a couple of times before

2Muchgear

Reaction score
thrash metal , death metal , tech death metal , doom stoner the list goes on and on and on......

...inasmuch as I’m not sure what any of those genres sound like, with the right pedals you can make just about any guitar sounds like any other. A Lester does a bunch of things really well If you can coax it out, fighting The Force is futile. Enjoy your jam!

Oddball667

Reaction score
Jackson makes fantastic guitars even at entry level.. just avoid entry levels with tremolo
I don’t know which Dinky with reverse headstock you talk about but most probably a JS11 model.. which is still fantastic for its price.. I played one of them a couple of times before
It dosnt even have a model number , the idea was when I was like 13 (1992/93) i had this friend who had one of the higher end dinky reverses that I fell in love with as a kid , and I seen it at a pawn shop for like $200 bucks last year around Christmas so I bought it sort of just to use as wall art , never really intended to play it .
The action was a mile high and just really isnt my style anymore .
But I got this les paul and been really enjoying playing again so I figured id give it a shot and see how it sounds. The strings were like trying to play dry spaghetti. And ive never messed with a floyd .
So got extremely frustrated trying to restring and tune it and just gave up on it .
Last night I decided id give tuning it another shot but would tune it down .
Oddly it fixed all the frett buzz and the strings set lower (closer to what I like but not quite) and sounds REALLY good .
Has a great metal tone (it is a metal guitar) and is kinda a nice contrast to the more traditional les paul , waaaaaay lighter and pretty comfortable.
Idk just a fun guitar .

Attachments

Mockbel

Reaction score
It dosnt even have a model number , the idea was when I was like 13 (1992/93) i had this friend who had one of the higher end dinky reverses that I fell in love with as a kid , and I seen it at a pawn shop for like $200 bucks last year around Christmas so I bought it sort of just to use as wall art , never really intended to play it .
The action was a mile high and just really isnt my style anymore .
But I got this les paul and been really enjoying playing again so I figured id give it a shot and see how it sounds. The strings were like trying to play dry spaghetti. And ive never messed with a floyd .
So got extremely frustrated trying to restring and tune it and just gave up on it .
Last night I decided id give tuning it another shot but would tune it down .
Oddly it fixed all the frett buzz and the strings set lower (closer to what I like but not quite) and sounds REALLY good .
Has a great metal tone (it is a metal guitar) and is kinda a nice contrast to the more traditional les paul , waaaaaay lighter and pretty comfortable.
Idk just a fun guitar .
Cool.. early 90s means that most probably it is made in Japan... not surprising to be a quality guitar.. mine is made in Japan too but from early 2000s ... DKMGT model with some mods I did on it
0F3B4DF9-A1CD-4E8E-A5A5-4BD83AA919FC.jpeg

Reactions: BKS

captdan61

Reaction score
What the hell is Doom/Stoner Metal?

Unless stoner has a new meaning now...

I hate being old. I was cool once, really I was.
Stoner Rock I think we the kind of music we used to listen to when we got stung to the 70s? Kind of Sake warm fuzzy bands like all them witches sleep maybe Queens of the Stone Age sleep kryss(i think thats how you spell it.)

zamdrang

Reaction score
OP interesting topic.. Been cool if it would have stayed there.

I totally get what your saying. I am a metal head mostly too but that's not what comes out when I play my LPs. Yes it's cool to play different stuff on different guitars... I love metal riffs on my Gretsch for example... but thats not what I took your point to be. If you listen to the guitar it talks back and there's no denying LPs are soulful rock n roll machines. This experience is what hooked me on guitars in the first place at 12, and is why I have a few. I could care less about learning cover tunes or replicating someone's tone, I play cause I love the sound of the guitar and how different ones inspire me to play.

Latest Threads