What do you play on your les?

Oddball667

Reaction score
What the hell is Doom/Stoner Metal?

Unless stoner has a new meaning now...

I hate being old. I was cool once, really I was.
Black Sabbath is commonly thought of as the first "doom" band and its a modern sub gener of metal that basicly trys to carry on were Sabbath left off with its first four albums , its not fast and is in general played down tuned (like sabbath) and is more blues influenced then the "average" metal band today and in general is played on classic Gibson's such as SG's obviously and less pauls through cranked classic tube amps such as orange and metaamps suns ECT .
...its just kinda a throw back to a more classic era such as the late 60's/70's heavier rock era played on basicly era correct instruments waaaaay over driven and not at a break neck tempo that say a band like slayer would play .
For instance theres a joke that if you were 5 minutes late for a thrash concert you missed the first four songs , a doom concert you only misse the first 4 notes of the intro lol.
Kinda hard for me to explain.
You could look up bans like sleep, electric wizard , the sword ECT as examples.
Its not for everyone but i like it .

Oddball667

Reaction score
I really enjoy this tone, this style.

YEEESSSSSS!
thats exactly what I been and been trying to play (nowhere as good) , it probably has something do with my (dont laugh) discovery of Joe bonamassa in the past year or so.
And the fact my musical taste has , I wouldn't say changed but broadened to include more old blues (always loved the blues) and blue grass /folk music . and oddly enough came from me spending four years hopping trains and hitchhiking , was exposed to alot of acoustic music i wouldn't normally of payed attention to and really enjoy .

Oddball667

Reaction score
Are you talking about Mark Winchester? He is a badass. Him and Bernie Dresel are as good as it gets for a rhythm section.
Yeah not sure of his name but that dude just floored me the first time I seen him play , was like "wtf is he doing standing on that bass!?"
Definitely a talented guy , but put all that aside hes just entertaining to watch lol

NotScott

Reaction score
Yeah not sure of his name but that dude just floored me the first time I seen him play , was like "wtf is he doing standing on that bass!?"
Definitely a talented guy , but put all that aside hes just entertaining to watch lol
That may have been Lee Rocker. He definitely puts on a show.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chopsticks,... Mary Had A Little Lamb,.... One Two Buckle My Shoe,... Camptown Races,...

You know the usual stuff.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I think the first time I even heard of "rockabilly" was in little rock in like 1999/2000 , I was skating in the warp tour there and had this box of cd's someone had given me. Like some kinda promo thing , and me and another guy were basicly walking around the bar/market district by the river trying to sell them for beer money lol .
So anyway I walk into this bar and it was just a whole rockabilly scene everyone dressed as greasers and I think there was some Brian setzer cober band playing .
I eas like what the hell is going on here? And basically gave up on the CD thing and just set there and took it all in because it was all new (was really REALLY into hard core punk at the time ) ....then later on that night went to vinos pizza and watched nile or morbid angel or something lol .
Later on that year i went to south Florida and discovered the tail end of that dying death metal scene and all the local hard core bands and basically forgot about rockabilly till a drummer brought it up again about 10 years ago , and I was playing bass in a band with him in Montana at the time and was just floored lol

BKS

Reaction score
Black Sabbath is commonly thought of as the first "doom" band and its a modern sub gener of metal that basicly trys to carry on were Sabbath left off with its first four albums , its not fast and is in general played down tuned (like sabbath) and is more blues influenced then the "average" metal band today and in general is played on classic Gibson's such as SG's obviously and less pauls through cranked classic tube amps such as orange and metaamps suns ECT .
...its just kinda a throw back to a more classic era such as the late 60's/70's heavier rock era played on basicly era correct instruments waaaaay over driven and not at a break neck tempo that say a band like slayer would play .
For instance theres a joke that if you were 5 minutes late for a thrash concert you missed the first four songs , a doom concert you only misse the first 4 notes of the intro lol.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Man thats awsome , ive never herd of those guys ....but yeah thats basicly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: BKS

christopherJ

Reaction score
Super helpful and thanks for the time to explain!

I've been to a thrash show (those guys know nothing about a mosh pit) and I've been to a grindcore show too. That one was interesting.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Super helpful and thanks for the time to explain!

I've been to a thrash show (those guys know nothing about a mosh pit) and I've been to a grindcore show too. That one was interesting.
Yeah man , I love those "styles" but not what I wanna play or sound like , im not a very good or tech player , so I play power chords and stuff and just like the simple sound and room of the slower notes I guess , instead of a million notes a song you know?
Leave space for the drummer and bass player to do there thing.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Those daneelecteos are a whole diffrent thing , knew a girl that had a cool one back home there pretty neat.

jojo

Reaction score
I like a lot of styles but def gravitate towards loud stonery Doomy stuff. I mix in psychedelic and bluesy/prog stuff too. Set my amps clean generally and step on my fuzz pedal for heavyness !

sonar1

Reaction score
Pretty much everything.

Less and less distortion as time goes by. My LP’s (and SG’s) have great clean sounds.
A bit of hair and grit for Blues, but that’s even optional for me now.

I only play a bit of metal to show off and freak out the choir directors and dinner-jazz patrons.

Latest Threads