What do you play on your les?

Oddball667

Reaction score
Ok ok ,im definitely a metal guy , thrash metal , death metal , tech death metal , doom stoner the list goes on and on and on......
But thats definitely not what my LP inspires me to play , it'll cover those tones for sure through the 2 marshalls I play it through but not what comes out of my fingers on this fret board (or any fret board for that matter.
Ive actually really wanted to play doom/stoner metal and was one of the main reasons I was so excited to get a Gibson in the first place .
But for some reason I sit around my living room (or stand ) playing endless blues rock jams that go nowhere as if in a trance just listening to a warm clean tone with reverb .
Cant seem to get enough of my neck pickup through a marshall and a slight reverb. I find the warm tone very relaxing and hypnotic.
I'm sure eventually ill switch over to the bridge and give it some overdrive and rock out ...but right now thats totally not what I want to do , i been playing pretty quite and mellow jams by myself and just getting acquainted with the Beauty that is the clean tone of the neck pickup and the whole mind set it puts me in .
May head over and see where this jam I been playing goes if my neighbor adds some organ to it .
....only problem his reverb is broke , so afraid it'll throw the vibe off (may have to dig up a pedal) .
But was just curious if anyone else has an experience like this where you Lester basicly tells you what to play

NotScott

Reaction score
All of my guitars, Les Pauls and others, each have their own unique qualities that dictates what I play on each one. But when I get bored, I like to play "what if" and play Gary Moore tunes on a Tele, Brian Setzer tunes on a Strat, etc.. I think it helps keep my playing fresh and interesting.

BlackCatBonz

Reaction score
Ok ok ,im definitely a metal guy , thrash metal , death metal , tech death metal , doom stoner the list goes on and on and on......
But thats definitely not what my LP inspires me to play , it'll cover those tones for sure through the 2 marshalls I play it through but not what comes out of my fingers on this fret board (or any fret board for that matter.
Ive actually really wanted to play doom/stoner metal and was one of the main reasons I was so excited to get a Gibson in the first place .
But for some reason I sit around my living room (or stand ) playing endless blues rock jams that go nowhere as if in a trance just listening to a warm clean tone with reverb .
Cant seem to get enough of my neck pickup through a marshall and a slight reverb. I find the warm tone very relaxing and hypnotic.
I'm sure eventually ill switch over to the bridge and give it some overdrive and rock out ...but right now thats totally not what I want to do , i been playing pretty quite and mellow jams by myself and just getting acquainted with the Beauty that is the clean tone of the neck pickup and the whole mind set it puts me in .
May head over and see where this jam I been playing goes if my neighbor adds some organ to it .
....only problem his reverb is broke , so afraid it'll throw the vibe off (may have to dig up a pedal) .
But was just curious if anyone else has an experience like this where you Lester basicly tells you what to play
Well, considering the fact that my Les Paul was the only electric guitar I owned for close to 30 years... I played everything on it.
I started playing in bars right out of high school in 1991 in a "little bit of everything band". We played anything that got us excited: Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Pantera, Judas Priest, SRV, Johnny Winter, Montrose, Goddo, Buddy Guy... you name it.
I had my Les Paul, a Crybaby and a 5150 half stack. I didn't need anything else.

Oddball667

Reaction score
All of my guitars, Les Pauls and others, each have their own unique qualities that dictates what I play on each one. But when I get bored, I like to play "what if" and play Gary Moore tunes on a Tele, Brian Setzer tunes on a Strat, etc.. I think it helps keep my playing fresh and interesting.
God I love Brian setzers bass player !!! Lol

Oddball667

Reaction score
Well, considering the fact that my Les Paul was the only electric guitar I owned for close to 30 years... I played everything on it.
I started playing in bars right out of high school in 1991 in a "little bit of everything band". We played anything that got us excited: Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Pantera, Judas Priest, SRV, Johnny Winter, Montrose, Goddo, Buddy Guy... you name it.
I had my Les Paul, a Crybaby and a 5150 half stack. I didn't need anything else.
Thats sorta how the last band I played bass in , it was fun till it wasnt .
First thing we ever played together was echoes , and we didn't really kniw what we were doing just followed the guitar player and it clicked

Caretaker

Reaction score
I play everything on it.
The last time I played for more than 15 minutes(about 2 weeks ago) I played some Gary Moore, BB King, Larry Carlton, Exodus, Slayer and Cheap Trick.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I play everything on it.
The last time I played for more than 15 minutes(about 2 weeks ago) I played some Gary Moore, BB King, Larry Carlton, Exodus, Slayer and Cheap Trick.
That's quite a mix

Caretaker

Reaction score
That's quite a mix
I don`t limit myself.
I like what I like and play what I like.
I grew up on radio where you could hear Black Sabbath, Etta James, James Brown and Foghat all in the same set on the same station. It was all music.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Im not really playing anything from any band or group. Just sorta noodling and becoming familiar with this guitar and a renewed intrest in the instrument , been going through alot and its sorta helping blank my mind and relax .
Something positive to focus on and not over think .
God I love music .

Oddball667

Reaction score
I don`t limit myself.
I like what I like and play what I like.
I grew up on radio where you could hear Black Sabbath, Etta James, James Brown and Foghat all in the same set on the same station. It was all music.
Man that sounds like my Pandora lol

Southwest

Reaction score
Glad someone raised this as I was going to post something similar. Got my LP Standard as a lockdown gift to myself in late March / early April. During the impatient wait to join the LP owners' club I expected to be butchering Gary Moore, Brian Robertson or Peter Frampton type stuff. Not a bit of it! The guitar gets played every day, and most of the time I'm butchering David Gilmour, Walter Trout or even Tom Petty, mostly on the neck pickup. Like the OP I love the warmth and richness of the tone. I also like the challenge of getting stuff right (it's really obvious when a bend is slightly off, and massively rewarding when it goes right.) The only good thing to come out of this miserable year is that without it I doubt I'd ever have bought the LP. I'm so pleased I did.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Blues, Rock, random soft stuff

I have my super strats for metal and heavier stuff in general

BKS

Reaction score
Still being a beginner with not enough practice time.... Garbage :dunno: ;)
But than i try some Kayleigh on the bridge, a little into the arena in the middle and smoke on the water on neck..... Unplugged i try some spanish romance but only manage the first half:laugh2:

Oddball667

Reaction score
Mockbel and bks gets it , I was expecting to play some sleep or Sabbath and stuff and I'm totally blown away by the warm feel and just in love with the sound , after this post (many hours after ) I did finally start noodling a doomy style song since I myself am starting over on guitar I dont really "know" how to play and play more by ear and " feel" then actual technique and knowledge .
But I'm getting there and enjoying the process again.
.....and I kinda feel like thats the main purpose i got it , its an absolute godsend for my anxiety at this point and completely relaxing to just see what comes out of this guitar.

Latest Threads