What do you like about Gibson?

Anton Khvalko

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am doing a short video about Gibson and I want to know your preferences. What exactly do you like about these guitars? What colors do you prefer Gibson in? Tell me a little about yourself it will help me a lot. Thank.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
The Les paul body shape. It’s like a woman, lol. Beautiful curves.

I love the feel of the neck. Les Paul necks (any size) feel different to me than most other brands.

I love the history. It’s the opposite of Fenders approach. Not a modular guitar, built by non-musicians, designed by a non-musician. But a beautiful, thick, carved top, set neck, bound guitar, designed by players.

The color of an original sunburst that’s faded a little. Just perfect.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Everything he ^^^^ said, plus the scale length, the woods used, the pickups (PAF and P90), as well as the Gibson sunburst blowing the Fender sunburst out of the water.

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love everything Gibson....
only collect lesters but I would own a zillion ES models if I was a zillionaire...

heck, I even like richlite customs

-Chris

GT40

Reaction score
I like when the custom shop is allowed to do something other than yet another, tedious burst re-issue.
They can do some really cool, very unique stuff. And yes it costs to get it.

Rds

Reaction score
I like the different models I've had. Gibson thru and thru even with the flaws. I like and own pauls, es137 customs, rd, studios, trads, and a custom, es 135s, and if I had big money I would have more.
giphy (22).gif
giphy (21).gif
giphy (20).gif
giphy (24).gif

Last edited:

penguinchit

Reaction score
The heritage. I bought my first Gibson - a 2007 Vintage Mahogany Studio in 2007. Brand new! Tons of bang for the buck. It gives me the tone I love, classic looks and there's pride in owning an American made icon.

As a self-taught player, I have never come remotely close to the limits of this guitar. I'll never find out how much I will grow into it. It's my "never sell" guitar. Actually, it's my only "never sell" anything.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
The heritage. I bought my first Gibson - a 2007 Vintage Mahogany Studio in 2007. Brand new! Tons of bang for the buck. It gives me the tone I love, classic looks and there's pride in owning an American made icon.

As a self-taught player, I have never come remotely close to the limits of this guitar. I'll never find out how much I will grow into it. It's my "never sell" guitar. Actually, it's my only "never sell" anything.
Awesom guitar! My first Gibson was also a 2007 vintage mahogany. Amazing guitar! Wasn’t it like $1000? And it came with a hard case! Super tall frets on that thing, I love it! I wish Gibson would go back to those frets. Definitely a great first Gibson.

smk506

Reaction score
I kind of view Gibson, especially the USA line as good solid mid line guitars. They’re expensive, but not bad when compared to smaller shops with lower output like Collings or Suhr.

Of course, you might have to hunt through a few Gibson’s to find one that meets your expectations while the smaller shops rarely let a dud out the door.

But when you get a good Gibson you are getting a good guitar. They generally have really nice pickups stock and the frets, pots and switches at least are well made and generally a step up from import models.

Plus it’s not only American made, they crank them out just a few miles from where I’m typing this. People in my community eat when Gibson’s get sold, that’s pretty cool.

All that said, I have no misconception that I’m getting a hand crafted luthier build instrument from those guys, even if the price is just as high, and that’s OK. Both have their place.

sonar1

Reaction score
Some families are Plymouth families. We were GM.

I grew up a Gibson guy. My teacher had one.

Spent decades being a Fender Telecaster guy, because of the brightness.
Then I finally got hearing aids. Fenders are too bright and gutless.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the snarl of a P-90 through a small, overdriven amp. I like the shape of Les Pauls, Explorers, SGs and big fat ESes. I like the sound of my J-29. I like that the marque is a name, not an auto part (never mind that I bought my second Tele today...)

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some families are Plymouth families. We were GM.

I grew up a Gibson guy. My teacher had one.

Spent decades being a Fender Telecaster guy, because of the brightness.
Then I finally got hearing aids. Fenders are too bright and gutless.
Cut the wire to the bridge pickup. Problem solved :D

dmac in SC

Reaction score
They make fantastic guitars...and to paraphrase a Joe Walsh quote in a video where he was doing a LP set-up tutorial (I'm too lazy to look for the link, but I am sure you can find it), 'They started making these things sixty years ago, and nobody has come up with anything better since'

Guitars are like guns. The technology matured early on, and any improvements since then are just superficial.

Loves me a Gibson Les Paul just like everybody else here..otherwise we would'nt be here
1597177083198.png
1597177083198.png
:cool:

mjross

Reaction score
They make (pro grade) left handed guitars, that works for me. Wish they would make more, but I digress!

Latest Threads